Prime Max Holloway vs Prime BJ Penn

Probably BJ still. It's close though when these hypothetical match ups are prime vs prime.

Holloway.

BJ was something special, but Max is a tricky matchup for him.
BJ could certainly neutralize that pressure with his speed and boxing. I just don't think he'll be able to do it for 5 rounds or be able to put someone like Max away.
If it's a 3 round fight, BJ has a much better chance of winning(I'd still favor Max though).

Anyways both are legends in the sport and have put to Hawaiian MMA scene on the map.

The guy who last fought at FW who also fought Machida at HW after binging on Hawaiaan burritos.

CarefulUnfinishedAkitainu-size_restricted.gif

More like

Machida was a bloated up green karateka with only 4 fights under his belt, while BJ Penn had already won the LW & WW UFC belts. <{hughesimpress}>
BJ thought he could bully the much less experienced RYOTO, and got his ass whooped by the sumotori débutant.

Good win for Machida,
only damage he took was after the fight was already over
(I like to pretend it wasn't after the Kengo Watanabe bout)

People think Max would beat up BJ because BJ got beat up by a guy who did THIS at middleweight

tumblr_oyyac9F2Zw1u2ragso4_250.gifv

and a guy who did THIS also at middleweight against Anderson,

ufc-taunt.gif

people think he will dominate BJ?

The same guy who got beat the shit out of him at LW by

ColorfulBriefAmericancicada-size_restricted.gif

when he moved up?

Max arguably beat Volk in his last fight, and might end up as a FW goat eventually. But come on now,

prime for prime, without bad weight cut on either side, BJ by round 2, 3 RNC in one sided fight.

Bj also has a reach on Max and BJ has a better jab. Bj would have annihilated Holloway.

Holloway might have better combinations, but BJ has a better jab imo.

BJ going to come out to mix in tds too.

Holloway for sure. there's a generational gap where mma evolved from Penn's prime era to Holloway's.

Back