Prime Overeem vs Prime Perreira

People are forgetting TS's "Within 10 pounds of each other" thing. This completely rules out the ridiculously juiced Overroid who fought in K-1, Strikeforce and Brock in UFC (where he left the U.S. to skip a drug test). He cut from 280 to make HW with very little body fat. This leaves a few options

• Early LHW Pride Overeem who got finished by Chuck Liddell, Shogun, Arona, etc. Pereira destroys this version.
  • Overeem a little later who's juicing and turning into a full-sized HW. The version who beat Vitor a couple of times but lost to Sergei and Werdum. This is more of a toss-up, assuming Pereira comes in a solid 230-240 pounds. Either Overeem via wrestling or sub or Poatan by KO/TKO
  • Overeem after getting busted in the UFC for juicing. Not as big as Ubereem with the comic book muscles, but still benefited from years of roid use. Not sure if Pereira would be within 10 pounds. Nonetheless, I say the same as above. Either Overeem via wrestling or sub or Poatan by KO/TKO
even pride skinny reem would take pereira down, Pereira just has a puncher chance.. Weidman is right about pereira.
He has a better chance in a kickboxing match

even pride skinny reem would take pereira down, Pereira just has a puncher chance.. Weidman is right about pereira.
He has a better chance in a kickboxing match
I didn't see much evidence of a young, skinny LHW Overeem being able to take down and smash or submit good fighters. Sure, he crushed some cans (mostly much smaller Japanese fighters) but lost to almost all the elite fighters he faced in the mid-2000s. Remember, Jan took down Izzy and beat him via wrestling, but couldn't do that to Poatan. Neither could Jiri.

Econoreem probably takes him down and taps him out at LHW. Tough to say though. Reem had poor fight IQ then and could also get flatlined at any moment.

Ubereem vs HW Poatan would be interesting. I like Alex’s chances more at HW against a purely standup Reem.
"Econoreem" was what Overeem morphed into after getting KO'd by Bigfoot, Browne and Rothwell. He changed his style and started training at Jackson's. He was more careful, efficient and a bit of a point fighter. During that time he still weighed a good 250 pounds and would never make a LHW cut. His LHW days ended around 2006.

Ubereem. Massive weight advantage and much better grappling.

Horsemeat via gnp or lnp. Alex could always KO him, but I'd say it's more likely Reem would get him on his back and control most of the fight.

I didn't see much evidence of a young, skinny LHW Overeem being able to take down and smash or submit good fighters. Sure, he crushed some cans (mostly much smaller Japanese fighters) but lost to almost all the elite fighters he faced in the mid-2000s. Remember, Jan took down Izzy and beat him via wrestling, but couldn't do that to Poatan. Neither could Jiri.
Jan is 41 years old, and he fought Izzy two years before the Pereira fight when he was in a hell of a run... two different situations. If Skinny Reem could submit Vitor, who was far more complete, stronger, and a better grappler than 36-year-old Pereira, then surely he can

"Econoreem" was what Overeem morphed into after getting KO'd by Bigfoot, Browne and Rothwell. He changed his style and started training at Jackson's. He was more careful, efficient and a bit of a point fighter. During that time he still weighed a good 250 pounds and would never make a LHW cut. His LHW days ended around 2006.
Not by my memory. His LHW days were ultimately referred to as ‘Econoreem’ once he bulked up and went HW. Econoreem was used again after USADA forced him to stop eating horse meat.

Jan is 41 years old, and he fought Izzy two years before the Pereira fight when he was in a hell of a run... two different situations. If Skinny Reem could submit Vitor, who was far more complete, stronger, and a better grappler than 36-year-old Pereira, then surely he can

Vitor was in a career slump (4-6 record) when he lost to Overeem. This was during the time when his sister was kidnapped and he later found out she was murdered. I don't think he was any stronger than Poatan, and he was outgrappled by many guys in his earlier days (WW sized Sakuraba, Tito, Couture multiple times even after Randy turned 40, etc.)

Vitor had two really strong periods in his career--the first 3 to 4 years then his later resurgance as TRT Belfort....until his TRT was taken away. He was a very inconsistent fighter outside of these periods. Also, his "BJJ black belt" credentials from Rickson (given when he was like 18) was and still is highly questioned. It's likely they gave him a belt so 1990s fighters would avoid the ground and be forced to stand, which was his strongest area.

At LHW, I would pick Pereira. At HW, I would pick the Reem!

Not by my memory. His LHW days were ultimately referred to as ‘Econoreem’ once he bulked up and went HW. Econoreem was used again after USADA forced him to stop eating horse meat.
If you can find an example (thread on here or an article) where he was referred to that in the early-mid 2000s, I'll be impressed. I never heard the term until he went to Jackson's many years later.

i rate poatan higher than badr hari as a kickboxer

and i think he was like 240 when he beat reem

Wouldn't be some insurmountable task, especially since reem, even in ubereem days had glaring defensive holes.

I gotta take Overeem by TKO with GNP.

Now at 205 if were talking Overeem from 2005, Perreria KO's Overeem.

Reactions: mkt
I love when elite strikers learn how to GnP and boy did Reem learn it well.

For those that didn't watch ur vid here's it timestamped for nasty GnP, turn ur volume up

He had some good subs too.

i rate poatan higher than badr hari as a kickboxer

and i think he was like 240 when he beat reem

Wouldn't be some insurmountable task, especially since reem, even in ubereem days had glaring defensive holes.
Remember also that Reem could use the much larger gloves in K-1 (along with his massive juiced arms) to protect himself. MMA is different with smaller gloves and fighters who weren't even great technical strikers (Browne, Bigfoot, Rothwell) KO'd him.

He had some good subs too.

yeah particularly his guillotine

altho I can't help cringe and think how close he was to winning the HW strap.. maybe if he just would've tried to TKO Stipe instead... oh well who knows

Bad matchup for Poatan but frankly speaking, I would not be surprised if Alex wins. He walks around bigger than many HW's AND HES LEAN.

Jan also gassed due to it being at high altitude, in the Alex fight. IMO, if he hadn't gassed that early he'd have had a really good chance of grinding out the win, especially since Pereira couldn't finish a gassed Jan with plenty of time left. If he had to grapple more with Jan due to him having more gas, he'd have even less time to score enough damage or a (T)KO, and Jan would have more time to secure rounds. So all in all, you can't really compare one fight that was at high altitude with a fight that wasn't, the circumstances are just too different.

And in the Izzy fight, Jan didn't really win on just wrestling, but also significantly on striking. Dude was out landing him, so I wouldn't chalk it all up to his wrestling winning him that fight. He didn't need to grapple as much with Izzy because Izzy doesn't bring the same kind of power in the stand up, so it's a pretty different situation.

Last edited:
Jan also gassed due to it being at high altitude, in the Alex fight. IMO, if he hadn't gassed that early he'd have had a really good chance of grinding out the win, especially since Pereira couldn't finish a gassed Jan with plenty of time left. If he had to grapple more with Jan due to him having more gas, he'd have even less time to score enough damage or a (T)KO, and Jan would have more time to secure rounds.

And in the Izzy fight, Jan didn't really win on just wrestling, but also significantly on striking. Dude was out landing him, so I wouldn't chalk it all up to his wrestling winning him that fight. He didn't need to grapple as much with Izzy because Izzy doesn't bring the same kind of power in the stand up, so it's a pretty different situation.

High altitude affected both factors. At this point, it's starting to sound more like cope than objective analysis so I'll bow out of this.

Back