Pro Cycling Discussion 2: Jonas Takes His Second Tour - Vuelta and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think UAE has to set infernal pace on Cipressa and burn half of the team there.

I think UAE has to set infernal pace on Cipressa and burn half of the team there.
I’m gonna miss it live due to a family event but will check in later once I watch the replay

UAE:

Gassing it into the Cipressa with 6 UAE guys (that's all Pogacar has) pulling like it is the last kilometer, isn't going to cut it. They need something else. If it's 40 guys going into the Cipressa, the standard 'hard temp to the foot of the climb' isn't going to be successful.

I hate to suggest it but there will be crashes once they weave through the small towns along the coast. UAE should gas it through the small towns. Those ITalian coastal towns weren't made for cars, or large peIetons. If a crash happens, make sure those riders caught up are done. 200 guys strung out along the coast with Via Roma on their mind is not a recipe for Pogacar to win. The grade on the Poggia is nothing and the tight turns are perfect for MvdP. UAE needs something different.

Time to start tuning in, final hour about to start!

UAE domestiques spending their energy just to make it to the front

Pog wondering wtf his team went, only Covi and del Toro left?!

Wellens has been summoned from the nether! Slight relief

Brilliant timing from Phillipsen
Really thought Pidcock might take it
Both Tadej and MVdP miss out.
great race

What a finale! Pog looked suorisingly good in a longish sprint.
Shame that Ganna had what looked like an mechanical on Poggio descent

What a finale! Pog looked suorisingly good in a longish sprint.
Shame that Ganna had what looked like an mechanical on Poggio descent
Surprised me too. Alas, this race eluded Pogs. He mentioned really badly wanting to win the Milano-San Remo. I think it's custom made for a mythical descender like Pidcock and I thought he had it in the bag.

Surprised me too. Alas, this race eluded Pogs. He mentioned really badly wanting to win the Milano-San Remo. I think it's custom made for a mythical descender like Pidcock and I thought he had it in the bag.

I am sure that Pog is capable of winning MSR.
Imo UAE team failed. Wellens was amazing as usual as was del Toro. Novak was left to work alone for too long and had to do both flats and climbs, Covi did something. Meanwhile Ulissi and Hirschi were both totally missing in action.
Replace few UAE let downs with guys like Politt so they dont start climbs from 50 wheels down and some big power climbers like Ayuso, McNulty and Yates.
Yes, Yates is still recovering from the crash and McNulty is sick I believe but the point remains, UAE could do so much better.

Imo UAE team failed. Wellens was amazing as usual as was del Toro. Novak was left to work alone for too long and had to do both flats and climbs, Covi did something. Meanwhile Ulissi and Hirschi were both totally missing in action.
Replace few UAE let downs with guys like Politt so they dont start climbs from 50 wheels down and some big power climbers like Ayuso, McNulty and Yates.
Yes, Yates is still recovering from the crash and McNulty is sick I believe but the point remains, UAE could do so much better.
So much this. Pog wondering where everybody went. Can't really blame his teammates 100%. This was a strategic error. Pog third in a sprint finish. All around monster.

I'm not. This is the most difficult monument for Pogacar.

Something weird has to happen for him to win. Either he takes MvdP or a true sprinter to the line.

They allowed the re-grouping between the Cipressa and Poggio. That is where the race was done for Pogacar.

I'm not. This is the most difficult monument for Pogacar.

Something weird has to happen for him to win. Either he takes MvdP or a true sprinter to the line.

They allowed the re-grouping between the Cipressa and Poggio. That is where the race was done for Pogacar.
I do think it’s tough for the punchy strategy when you have a guy like phillipsen who can work together with mvdp. I felt the same way at Paris roubaix last year for WVA. Granted he also got that flat.

But it’s like, if you try to break away mvdp chases you. But if you take them to the line you sure as fuck can’t beat phillipsen, and if you burn your matches losing phillipsen, mvdp can still steal the win. Those two together at classics are a real handful

I do think it’s tough for the punchy strategy when you have a guy like phillipsen who can work together with mvdp. I felt the same way at Paris roubaix last year for WVA. Granted he also got that flat.

But it’s like, if you try to break away mvdp chases you. But if you take them to the line you sure as fuck can’t beat phillipsen, and if you burn your matches losing phillipsen, mvdp can still steal the win. Those two together at classics are a real handful

The set up was pretty good in the final stretch with Mahoric and Pidcock forcing MvdP to chase but letting the sprinters back on after the Cipressa was the mistake.

Pidcock should have bombed the descent like Mahoric in 2022. He was the fastest guy down the Poggio. Pogacar is a great descender but MvdP and Pidcock are next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back