Pyfer: The Prototype For Poorly Booked Hype Jobs (Blame the UFC, not Joe)

Hermansson isn't ranked in the top 10.

Pyfer was 3-0 in the UFC with 3 finishes. Why is that too early to get a ranked opponent?

Oh, I'm sorry, he slid down from #9 to #11 because of recent fights from Brendan Allen and Imavov. Before that he was somewhere in the top 5-10 for that last few years. In fact he was #10 last week. I knew some aspie would pick at that minor statistic.

Pyfer got 3 finishes over guys with a combined 19 losses in the UFC, one of them went 0-4.

Last edited:
Honestly though, Pyfer was a 2:1 favorite, it's not like the matchmakers threw him to the wolves

Overall the Dolidze loss made Hermansson look like he might be on his way out of the top 15, the UFC clearly intended this as favorable matchmaking and the first round of Hermansson nuking him with power shots was pretty much as they'd planned

Then Hermansson turned up the veteran toughness and well-rounded skill

I didn’t think he would beat

jack, but let’s not bury the kid already. He has some good mma skills and is hard worker with great power. Joe will probably grow from this loss and needs to clearly take a step back in competition, but he’s with a good team. I think he could still get to a high ranking at some point. I don’t think anyone should be calling him a future champion at this point. Give him some room and time to grow.
I think that's the issue though in terms of his team. Brady is similar even though he only has the single loss. Brady has had moments where he nearly had the experience Pyfer had today when he couldn't dominate the grappling. They both seem to be too used to being the hammer for this point in their careers. They aren't used to fighting top guys, because their gym lacks top guys.

A few trips different sparring sessions where they aren't the nig dogs in the room would do them both well. Or they can get that experience in the UFC I guess with another couple losses and then come good later.

Oh, I'm sorry, he slid down from #9 to #11 because of recent fights from Brendan Allen and Imavov. Before that he was somewhere in the top 5-10 for that last few years. In fact he was #10 last week. I knew some aspie would pick at that minor statistic.

Pyfer got 3 finishes over guys with a combined 19 losses in the UFC, one of them went 0-4.
ANd has had a potentially career ending injury...

But he did punch a machine really hard.

He could come good, but today was a poor showing.

You heard it here first folks. Malott after beating the the shit out of Magny for 95% of their fight was nothing but a hype job

Weekly dose of stupidity from OP!
I haven't seen the fight, but didn't Malott dominate and then lose by going too hard for a finish in a show case fight? That's an excusable loss. Pyfer got clearly dominated in every aspect of MMA except power after the middle of the second round. He even started to panic shoot throughout the 3rd and 4th to get to the next round.

He and Sean Brady both had a similar experience - two absolute physical specimens who were always the hammer kinda broke when it was their turn to be the nail. Pyfer obviously didn't break as dramatically as Brady did vs Belal, but he def looked like a different fighter the longer the fight went on then showed no urgency to try getting off his back in that 5th round which felt a bit like conceding the fight

Pyfer is big, good, but lacks experience.

He also seems a bit slow to capture the nuances.

The best fighters have an otherworldly IQ, ESP, and since the nuances — and exploit and capitalize on them.

Pyfer seems to wilt in the late rounds, and completely miss the nuances.
Can't help but wonder if his physical gifts have stunted some development in others areas of his game since before tonight he was able to get by on overpowering and mauling dudes. He's of course got some great skill, so he's not all just physicality, but like you say, his game needs real refinement. Luckily for him he's got plenty of time, but we'll see if he has the humility and self-awareness to evolve his game

Hermansson isn't ranked in the top 10.

Pyfer was 3-0 in the UFC with 3 finishes. Why is that too early to get a ranked opponent?
I guess some people just prefer watching guys go the Bo Nickal route.

i was expecting to post, "another brutal KO by white Yoel Romero", but not this time.

Pyfer still has potential. He would have won easy if he just did what Robocop did.

R1 First Half: Pyfer marches forward with impunity throwing huge power. Very dangerous. Any punch could end the fight.
R1 Second Half: Pyfer still looks dangerous, but Hermansson more able to shell up.
R2: Pyfer can no longer march forward, Hermansson takes his chances with TD attempt, but Joe’s counter strikes and combos are still a super dangerous threat. Hermansson walks forward throughout and gets caught sometimes, but generally does okay.
R3: Commentators note Hermansson not shooting for takedowns being ‘very surprising’, but he simply doesn’t need to by now. He can comfortably out-strike Pyfer now outside of getting clipped by big power punches.
R4: Pyfer starts to look for takedowns because he’s getting out-struck. Leg damage and jab-for-jab equality isn’t helping. Pyfer gets aggressive but it isn’t as effective as in R1, Hermansson is winning the striking battle.
Cover narrative: “Hermansson is really great defensively”, despite the fact he’s winning offensively.
R5: Hermansson cruises to a 48-47 by dominating the round.

Conclusion: The UFC want hype jobs, but hype doesn’t elevate these guys to a level they aren’t at. Pyfer vs Hermansson was too much. Malott vs Magny was too much. Patience, UFC matchmakers, patience…

Pyfer probably comes back better, but he wasn't ready for this.

Pyfer saying the difference "was just a calf kick" is kinda ridiculous.
After about the third time he stunned H and didn’t capitalize on I thought… ‘He’s gonna fuck this up.’

And he did.

R1 First Half: Pyfer marches forward with impunity throwing huge power. Very dangerous. Any punch could end the fight.
R1 Second Half: Pyfer still looks dangerous, but Hermansson more able to shell up.
R2: Pyfer can no longer march forward, Hermansson takes his chances with TD attempt, but Joe’s counter strikes and combos are still a super dangerous threat. Hermansson walks forward throughout and gets caught sometimes, but generally does okay.
R3: Commentators note Hermansson not shooting for takedowns being ‘very surprising’, but he simply doesn’t need to by now. He can comfortably out-strike Pyfer now outside of getting clipped by big power punches.
R4: Pyfer starts to look for takedowns because he’s getting out-struck. Leg damage and jab-for-jab equality isn’t helping. Pyfer gets aggressive but it isn’t as effective as in R1, Hermansson is winning the striking battle.
Cover narrative: “Hermansson is really great defensively”, despite the fact he’s winning offensively.
R5: Hermansson cruises to a 48-47 by dominating the round.

Conclusion: The UFC want hype jobs, but hype doesn’t elevate these guys to a level they aren’t at. Pyfer vs Hermansson was too much. Malott vs Magny was too much. Patience, UFC matchmakers, patience…

Pyfer probably comes back better, but he wasn't ready for this.

Pyfer saying the difference "was just a calf kick" is kinda ridiculous.
Got veteraned by Hermansson. Let's hope he learns from it.

They slow build some fighters, others not. It's a bit inconsistent.

He is a 15-20 range guy. .He has power and can beat anyone but is just not that good.

wasn't this the clown who called pereira "basic"?

lmao dude lost a decision to a 70 year old dude who loses to everyone else, come the fuck on

I only watched first round and wasn’t interested after realising Pyfers comically small feet.

I'd never heard of Pyfer before the fight, and I instantly took a disliking to him from the promos. He's obviously a cocky dickhead, and not deserving of the hero's journey narrative the UFC was pushing. The UFC does love their hero journey narratives. Every fighter must have this huge life obstacle they must overcome—being poor, having to feed their kids, dealing with the loss of a loved one, coming back from a devastating injury, yadda yadda—and I simply don't give a fuck. Whenever the UFC hypes someone, they try to make them out to be Rocky Balboa.

obviously he wasn't ready with how the fight played out but i don't think it was a bad fight for Pyfer just because he lost. i don't think the UFC pushed him too quickly. like another poster said, Hermansson is old and has been losing as much as he's winning lately. especially with how the rankings are.

for example, Khamzat only has 1 win against an actual MW. Pyfer actually has more wins at MW AND also beat the same guy Khamzat did. yet Khamzat is ranked even higher than Hermansson. also Paulo Costa is ranked #6.

He will be fine. He isn’t ready for a 5 round yet. He has a rumble quality to him. He is explosive and quite an athlete. He needs to develop some kicking in his game. He loads up too much on his cross and you can see that tell all the time. There were also openings for an uppercut that could have been exploited.

Maybe it’s a difference in ideology but I feel like in a rule set that allows knees and kicks then the straight right to the body might not be the most bang for your buck strike.

He and Sean Brady both had a similar experience - two absolute physical specimens who were always the hammer kinda broke when it was their turn to be the nail. Pyfer obviously didn't break as dramatically as Brady did vs Belal, but he def looked like a different fighter the longer the fight went on then showed no urgency to try getting off his back in that 5th round which felt a bit like conceding the fight
I get the comparison, it does make sense in some regard, but I still would not really put the same label on those two guys.

I think it's a tough comparison because their weaknesses are very different. The issue with Brady was or arguably is that his striking is not top notch. His groundgame is. Now his wrestling may very well be good, but it's not as good as his work once he has taken the opponent down. Which narrows his issue down to the standup and the transition to the ground. If he can't find the latter, chances are that he'll lose the fight on the feet. He's just not a great striker. But if a fight ends up on the ground, even if it's Brady who lands on bottom, I have very little doubt that Brady can turn that position in his favor.

Pyfer's trouble is still in the striking. He might be great on the ground, Idk, but that leaves a whole nother field of worrying potential to be discovered.
There are two differing kinds of strikers with high finish rates. One punch ko artists and slow-cookers. There are fighters out there that can achieve finishes just by being so much better in the striking. They are effectively decision fighting, not necessarily looking for a finish at any time, the landing differential is just so high that their opponents can't even make it to the scorecards.
Shavkat would be a great example of that. Pyfer does not seem to be that guy. The only reason he gets finishes is because he hits extremely hard. He does not necessarily get the better of any exchanges other than outmatching the opponents power on a punch for punch basis.

Striking differential really is a key metric to measure striking ability and Pyfers is just not great, and if it's not great through those kinds of performances, it rarely does get better than that. Knockout power is a thing of course, but being a one trick pony is usually not a good thing in MMA.

Back