Movies Quentin Tarantino on Aliens (1986)

Is Aliens in your top 5 or top 10 favorite films?

• I've never watched it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love the story about his experience in watching Aliens for the first time.

He's right, with all that hype. It delivered and much more.

James Cameron FTW

1986 was a nail on the head year

I would still say I preffer Alien and the style it used but really if your going to turn the franchise into a larger scale action film I'd agree Aliens is just about as good as it could be.

You could argue I spose that trying to beat Alien at its own game was always going to be a losing battle, as you could argue has happened in the franchise since then.

It's the best "Alien universe" movie but I was never a huge fan of them. I will say 1 n especially 2 were only 2 I finished.

For me, it is the perfect action movie. Glad QT sees it that way too.

I remember showing it to some people who were a few years younger than me and seeing them react was awesome. They looked at me afterwards like holy shit this guy knows movies and it was a great feeling.

As perfect as a sequel can be. Different than the original, expanded on ideas positively, and kept you glued to the screen

Weird

He usually hates 80s movies

One of his worst takes is his take on '80s American cinema. He went full Pauline Kael on that nonsense in his book, and you should never go full Pauline Kael. It's one thing to prefer other decades - Tarantino's an unashamedly biased lover of the '70s films that he grew up on - but the hate that he directs at the '80s just makes it all the sillier when he goes on to gush over so many '80s movies from Aliens to Near Dark to The Thing to Blow Out to Once Upon a Time in America to Back to the Future to Indiana Jones...

One of his worst takes is his take on '80s American cinema. He went full Pauline Kael on that nonsense in his book, and you should never go full Pauline Kael. It's one thing to prefer other decades - Tarantino's an unashamedly biased lover of the '70s films that he grew up on - but the hate that he directs at the '80s just makes it all the sillier when he goes on to gush over so many '80s movies from Aliens to Near Dark to The Thing to Blow Out to Once Upon a Time in America to Back to the Future to Indiana Jones...

I also remember on Rogan’s podcast, Tarantino talked about how the remake of Jean-Luc Godard’s Breathless at the beginning of that decade was a seminal film-viewing experience for him in the sense that it was the only movie in that era that struck him as the type of movie he’d like to make. I’ve never seen it so I can’t say whether he has outright been influenced by it stylistically but it’s pretty telling that he said it struck him as an example of the type of film he aspired to make.

My point being for all the dislike he seems to have for 80s cinema, he clearly didn’t hate it across the board. But he seems to really hammer that point home often, so he must have just decided at some point in his life that he disliked that decade of movies and will stick to that, regardless of any counter examples.

Probably not surprising- 70s, undeniably a great decade for American cinema and a time when he was growing up so nostalgia would boost his affection for it even more. 90s- when he started making films. So 80s occupies that in between period. Likely easy for him to dismiss it by contrast.

Back