Movies Quentin Tarantino's Final Film? The Movie Critic

This honestly isn't worth arguing about, because it has nothing to do with the point that this whole ending-his-career thing is a goofy move on Tarantino's part that's all in his head. Say whatever you want about Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood, it was better received than Jackie Brown, his third movie a mere five years after his debut. It's all arbitrary. Good is good and Tarantino's still doing good work. And plenty of people from John Ford to Stanley Kubrick to Kon Ichikawa did great work literally right up until they went into the ground. It's his life and his career, he can and will do what he wants, but it's silly all the same.

yeah I don’t really get his point that “filmmakers don’t age well,” or whatever he’s using as means to justify it. It all comes down to whether people still want to see his movies and, most importantly, whether he still wants to make them. If he’s tired or it and feels like he’d rather be writing, staging plays, etc, then more power to him. But if he’s basing it more on this notion that he has to get out before diminishing returns hit, then I think he should reconsider.

I was hoping rather than saying he’s scrapping the Movie Critic the announcement was going to be his scrapping the plan to do just ten movies.

This honestly isn't worth arguing about, because it has nothing to do with the point that this whole ending-his-career thing is a goofy move on Tarantino's part that's all in his head. Say whatever you want about Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood, it was better received than Jackie Brown, his third movie a mere five years after his debut. It's all arbitrary. Good is good and Tarantino's still doing good work. And plenty of people from John Ford to Stanley Kubrick to Kon Ichikawa did great work literally right up until they went into the ground. It's his life and his career, he can and will do what he wants, but it's silly all the same.

Ultimately what isn't arbitrary is that the art form he fell in love with and the industry as he knew it has morphed into something he's no longer interested in participating in.

yeah I don’t really get his point that “filmmakers don’t age well,” or whatever he’s using as means to justify it. It all comes down to whether people still want to see his movies and, most importantly, whether he still wants to make them. If he’s tired or it and feels like he’d rather be writing, staging plays, etc, then more power to him. But if he’s basing it more on this notion that he has to get out before diminishing returns hit, then I think he should reconsider.

I was hoping rather than saying he’s scrapping the Movie Critic the announcement was going to be his scrapping the plan to do just ten movies.

This article goes into his thought process about his retirement from film:

"It’s just time to go out. I like the idea of going out on top,” Tarantino said. “I like the idea of giving it my all for 30 years and then saying, ‘OK, that’s enough.’ And I don’t like working to diminishing returns. And I mean, now is a good time because I mean, what even is a motion picture anyway anymore? Is it just something that they show on Apple? That would be diminishing returns.”

"I’m probably going to be doing the movie with Sony because they’re the last game in town that is just absolutely, utterly, committed to the theatrical experience,” he said. “It’s not about feeding their streaming network. They are committed to theatrical experience. They judge success by asses on seats. And they judge success by the movies entering the zeitgeist, not just making a big expensive movie and then putting it on your streaming platform. No one even knows it’s there.”

"I mean, and I’m not picking on anybody, but apparently for Netflix, Ryan Reynolds has made $50 million on this movie and $50 million on that movie and $50 million on the next movie for them,” he said. “I don’t know what any of those movies are. I’ve never seen them. Have you? I haven’t ever talked to Ryan Reynolds’ agent, but his agent is like, ‘Well, it cost $50 million.’ Well, good for him that he’s making so much money. But those movies don’t exist in the zeitgeist. It’s almost like they don’t even exist.”

https://www.indiewire.com/news/brea...eynolds-netflix-movies-dont-exist-1234868429/

Last edited:
Jackie Brown, Once Upon A Time and Death Proof didn’t hit the spot for me but Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, True Romance, Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained and Hateful Eight were all either excellent, a lot of fun, or both - so I’ll tune in to whatever he’s involved with.

^^^this.

Ultimately what isn't arbitrary is that the art form he fell in love with and the industry as he knew it has morphed into something he's no longer interested in participating in.

That isn't what he said. It literally takes like two years to put together a script and get the movie started. He is too much of a control freak to either just write scripts or direct and he won't scale down his movies to something more manageable. He could put out low budget indie movies every year if he wanted to and not have to deal with studios, big name actors, and advertising.

That isn't what he said. It literally takes like two years to put together a script and get the movie started. He is too much of a control freak to either just write scripts or direct and he won't scale down his movies to something more manageable. He could put out low budget indie movies every year if he wanted to and not have to deal with studios, big name actors, and advertising.

Go ahead and read the quotes from the article I posted two posts above yours...lol

According to reports coming out now, rewrites to the script over the last several months morphed the movie into a OUATIH continuation starring Brad Pitt as Cliff Booth, and Tarantino didn't want to go back in that world.

I hope he writes the book for this story.

In a surprising report Quentin Tarantino has scrapped plans for The Movie Critic and with go back to the drawing broad to rethink his 10th and final film.

"As for The Movie Critic, originally planned to be his 10th and final film, Tarantino has simply had a change of heart and Deadline hears he will not be moving forward with the project. Sources close to the director said he changed his mind and is going back to the drawing board to figure out what that final movie will be."

https://deadline.com/2024/04/quenti...wont-be-the-movie-critic-scrapped-1235888577/

DAMMIT!!!!!!! I was really looking forward to this.
9ZFn.gif

XhJaf.gif

I was hoping this was an April fools joke.

In a surprising report Quentin Tarantino has scrapped plans for The Movie Critic and with go back to the drawing broad to rethink his 10th and final film.

"As for The Movie Critic, originally planned to be his 10th and final film, Tarantino has simply had a change of heart and Deadline hears he will not be moving forward with the project. Sources close to the director said he changed his mind and is going back to the drawing board to figure out what that final movie will be."

https://deadline.com/2024/04/quenti...wont-be-the-movie-critic-scrapped-1235888577/

Good. The premise for the film sounded boring and awful. I’d love to see him return to his roots and put together something over the top with great characters and memorable dialogue. He’s already done the love letter to Hollywood thing with ‘Once Upon a Time’.. rather see him go out doing what he’s known for.

Needs to have his regular crew like Jackson, Keitel and Thurman in it. Would love to see Travolta back too. If Samuel L Jackson isn't in it calling someone a motherfucker I'm out.

Good. The premise for the film sounded boring and awful. I’d love to see him return to his roots and put together something over the top with great characters and memorable dialogue. He’s already done the love letter to Hollywood thing with ‘Once Upon a Time’.. rather see him go out doing what he’s known for.
I don't want to see something too crazy and over the top, like Kill Bill. I hope he'll do something like Pulp Fiction or OUATIH. More on the realistic side, crime story maybe or something to do with movies or Hollywood (he did explore Hollywood with OUATIH, but there's always more he could explore), set in the (relatively) modern times (50s-00s). That timeframe is super interesting to me and I'd love to see him explore more of it.

Definitely don't want another western or movie set way in the past (pre-50s).

Needs to have his regular crew like Jackson, Keitel and Thurman in it. Would love to see Travolta back too. If Samuel L Jackson isn't in it calling someone a motherfucker I'm out.

Fuck yeah, one more with Travolta would be great! Get Pitt and Travolta together, with a cameo from Tom Cruise.

Really, of all his vast cast of actors from the past, there's one I want to see return for another Tarantino film more than any other, & to hear QT's dialogue through him again; & frankly, it's kinda just super fuckin' weird that we haven't, since the mid-90s.

E4KD7O0WQAE12tp.jpg

Hope truly got cancelled and he wil use efforts for an actual movie rather than self celebrating bullshit

I understand all gimmicks became part of the charm of the character for some, but i take actual entertainment over that any day

Maybe him try completely different setting/era/genre would be best thing he can do for me, would appreciate see him actually challenging himself offering new vision

Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds and Django have been a surprise back then, want more of that

This is all Tarantino's doing. He's set this arbitrary cap for himself, which has made this next film arbitrarily his last film, and now he's getting in his head about what a "final film" is supposed to be...he's doing this all to himself. The real change of heart that I want him to have is for him to realize that his plan is stupid. He should just make as many movies as he wants as frequently or as infrequently as he wants. He doesn't have to make x films, he doesn't have to stop by x date. That's dumb. Just live and work as you will.
Yeah he could take a 5 year break and just really wait for the perfect idea.

Or take 5 years perfecting the script.

Yeah he could take a 5 year break and just really wait for the perfect idea.

Or take 5 years perfecting the script.

He probably will, he takes forever to write and if he is still pondering ideas we may not see the movie for years.

I could see him moving forward with his TV project or another book in the mean time. I could see The Movie Critic becoming a book at some point.

Honestly, I wasn’t really stoked about this movie anyway. I hope he does in fact move onto a different project.

Go ahead and read the quotes from the article I posted two posts above yours...lol

I have heard him talk about this elsewhere as to how much work it is and how it is a young man's game. He wears himself out because he wants to do the whole enchilada.

This article goes into his thought process about his retirement from film:

"It’s just time to go out. I like the idea of going out on top,” Tarantino said. “I like the idea of giving it my all for 30 years and then saying, ‘OK, that’s enough.’ And I don’t like working to diminishing returns. And I mean, now is a good time because I mean, what even is a motion picture anyway anymore? Is it just something that they show on Apple? That would be diminishing returns.”

"I’m probably going to be doing the movie with Sony because they’re the last game in town that is just absolutely, utterly, committed to the theatrical experience,” he said. “It’s not about feeding their streaming network. They are committed to theatrical experience. They judge success by asses on seats. And they judge success by the movies entering the zeitgeist, not just making a big expensive movie and then putting it on your streaming platform. No one even knows it’s there.”

"I mean, and I’m not picking on anybody, but apparently for Netflix, Ryan Reynolds has made $50 million on this movie and $50 million on that movie and $50 million on the next movie for them,” he said. “I don’t know what any of those movies are. I’ve never seen them. Have you? I haven’t ever talked to Ryan Reynolds’ agent, but his agent is like, ‘Well, it cost $50 million.’ Well, good for him that he’s making so much money. But those movies don’t exist in the zeitgeist. It’s almost like they don’t even exist.”

https://www.indiewire.com/news/brea...eynolds-netflix-movies-dont-exist-1234868429/

It is very weird he thinks this about Ryan Reynold's movies when he makes high end schlock. Like, Tartintino doesn't make classical cinema. He makes stuff that 13 year old boys love. He is good at that. Don't get me wrong but he isn't putting out what he thinks he is putting out.

I mean theres generally a good deal of truth that directors do their best work when their younger or middle aged and then drop off with time same as many artists. In his own case though I think most would say his career has held up quite nicely, maybe Pulp Fiction would most commonly be called his best film but his recent stuff has had plenty of praise.

Back