question about medical check ups needed for sparring

Rockomon

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I started boxing at a gym. I told them I wanted to do some sparring and asked them what I needed to start. They said I needed to get a membership at USA boxing which I did. The USA boxing said my membership isn't complete and that I'll need to do the following:

You will need to provide to the LBC Registration Chair:
  1. Membership Confirmation Receipt
  2. 2 passport-sized photos
  3. Copy of your birth certificate or U.S. passport
  4. Copy of your annual physical declaring you are cleared to participate*
Master boxers are required to pass a physical exam each year and for the health of your community, make sure your vaccinations are up to date. Please use the forms on USA Boxing's website Physical Exam Forms to these forms is provided above. A copy of the Review/Fit to Box form must be provided to the registration chair as indicated above in order to get your passbook, and once you get your passbook, a copy must be kept in the book. Please do not staple it in your book - the ringside physicians must have easy access. You will need to show proof that you passed a physical before you will be allowed to box and this form is that proof. You must also get an eye exam from either an optometrist or an ophthalmologist when you first become a master boxer, and then every 5 years after that. If you are age 45 or older, you must get a graded exercise EKG/ECG, every 5 years.

I'm 42 so it looks like I'll need an eye exam. Is there some sort of misunderstanding here? I just want to do some light sparring, I don't intend on competing in boxing matches.

I live in SF Bay Area California. Is there a boxing doctor in the area that can offer a discount?

I have never heard of it required for sparring. I got my boxing passport in my mid 20s when my coach signed me without my knowledge before a boxing tournament. Later, I had to do the eye exam, physical and EKG, get my doctor to sign the form plus rejoin USA Boxing to get my passport when I did a Master Boxing Tournament in my 50s. My current instructor does not require USA Boxing membership in my gym and I think you only need it if competing in USA Boxing Sponsored Events. Heard there was a competitor amateur boxing organization and I heard USA Boxing was going to kick out members if they did any of their fights. I think your gym is doing it for liability reasons. A USA Boxing Sanctioned athlete is very good defense against gross negligence claims if somebody is injured. Maybe they get a discount on their liability insurance. Maybe they also want to promote USA Boxing. Maybe they get a club membershjp discount if they enroll so many members. Thought this was the case with USA Judo. Did you tell your coach that you do not intend to compete.

USA boxing carries insurance for all their registered athletes for sparring and competing.

Proof of citizenship is only important if you plan on competing in major tournaments. I’m not sure about masters, but for the younger crowd there’s a “fit to box” form a doctor or nurse needs to sign off on. Just don’t go finding a doctor or nurse in your social circle to rubber stamp your form so that you can compete in sparring. Don’t do that.

Back