Media Rafael Fiziev Says Creation of UFC 165lb Division "Isn't Just a Rumor, It's Already Happening For Sure"

Leave the Weight Classes the way they are. There should not be a Weight Class every 4-8 Pounds in MMA like they have Boxing. No need for a 165 Pound Weight Class, when you have a perfectly fine 170 Pound Welterweight Class, with its rich history also in the UFC.

if true, then this is just going to stagnate the product even more.

this is everything they said they didn't want to do. more weight classes, # of terrible cards with low level fighters not befitting of the "UFC" name, etc, etc. this is the definition of watered down. it will basically be musical chairs at this point. they achieved mainstream success, and now are doing the mainstream things. complete divisions where maybe one or two fighters actually matter, the rest, just padding for their records. TKO.

I'm down with it as long as 175 comes with it, and 170 is removed. And add 195 as well. Then it'd be 10 lb symmetry all the way from 125 to 205. I know people will whine about "oh it's make these divisions shallower". That sorts itself out over time and in the end i think it'd be a net gain. Make 175 be welterweight moving forward, have 165 be like Junior Welterweight. And 195 be cruiserweight.

10 pound weight differences make no sense at higher weight. It comes down to percentages. 10 pounds for someone weighing 230 is nothing by comparison to 10 pounds of someone weighing 170. Arbitrary 10 pound increments is just something for the small-brains to demand incessantly because they lack any creative thought processes.

I'm down with it as long as 175 comes with it, and 170 is removed. And add 195 as well. Then it'd be 10 lb symmetry all the way from 125 to 205. I know people will whine about "oh it's make these divisions shallower". That sorts itself out over time and in the end i think it'd be a net gain. Make 175 be welterweight moving forward, have 165 be like Junior Welterweight. And 195 be cruiserweight.
I think the ramp up to heavyweight would be fine with 170, 185, 205, and 265 limit. We've seen plenty of guys move between WW and MW and also MW and LHW. 10 pounds makes sense lower down because it's a higher percentage in weight. 10 pounds to a 145er is not the same as 10 pounds to a middleweight. If anything 175 would be acceptable but 195 doesn't seem that needed.

I am all for 165! these divisions get stale so having some guys be able to move around a bit will be great we will get a lot of good matchups we otherwise wouldn't get to see.. imho

and yes 170 would then become 175..

I'm out on Fiziev though the dude was humble and honorable after the Justin fight saying stuff to Justin like everything you hit me with hurt. Only to turn around and make BS excuses months later. Hope he gets put out cold next time.

As if we didn't have enough division-hopping. No one is going to defend the 165 belt, they'll already be making plans to capture the 175 and 155 and maybe 145 and 185

giphy.gif
Steven Wright has the best cameos.

- guy on the couch
- K Billy's Super Sounds of the 70s DJ

if true, then this is just going to stagnate the product even more.

this is everything they said they didn't want to do. more weight classes, # of terrible cards with low level fighters not befitting of the "UFC" name, etc, etc. this is the definition of watered down. it will basically be musical chairs at this point. they achieved mainstream success, and now are doing the mainstream things. complete divisions where maybe one or two fighters actually matter, the rest, just padding for their records. TKO.
I do think there's a heavy backload of fighters at 155 even if there isn't at 170 as much.
There's fighters with 3-4 fight win streaks not even ranked that are great who i'm sure wouldn't mind moving up 10lbs.

Last edited:
I thought it was fake as well, but ushata

I do think there's a heavy backload of fighters at 155 even if there isn't at 170 as much.
There's fighters with 3-4 fight win streaks not even ranked that are great who i'm sure wouldn't mind moving up 10lbs.
there's a heavy backload in every division, realistically, there's only one or two people who are champ level at any division often times including the champion. the rest are filler. another weight class is just more "double" champ bullshit, stagnation, and will do nothing besides create more useless PPVs. its just going to get worse. there's not going to be a unique subset of fighters unique to these new weight classes. it's just going to be the same people, fighting the same people, for a new belt. and the casuals will eat it up.

there's a heavy backload in every division, realistically, there's only one or two people who are champ level at any division often times including the champion. the rest are filler. another weight class is just more "double" champ bullshit, stagnation, and will do nothing besides create more useless PPVs. its just going to get worse. there's not going to be a unique subset of fighters unique to these new weight classes. it's just going to be the same people, fighting the same people, for a new belt. and the casuals will eat it up.
Possibly, though there's alot of matchups that would be great to see like:
Jalin Turner, Colby Covington, Michael Chandler, Joel Alvarez, Guram, Gilbert Burns, and Belal Muhammad(if he loses to Leon) and the list goes on so many fighters would crash into there. Also luring new fighters from other organizations that dont have that weight class that want to jump in.

It's by far the top 2 of 3 divisions out there in terms of depth so there's leeway with alot of fighters that usually never getting an opportunity and it'd make it fun.

127 Mini-me
136 Junior
144 Junior Junior
150 Still Tiny
151 Double Champ
162 shmedium
177 Medium
187 Normal
191 Normal+
203 Kinda Big
230 Big
266 Fatty
408 Big Fat Fuck

We all know this is the way it should be

There should definitely be 155, 165, 175, I don't know why anyone is against this.

because i don't want it to be like boxing. more divisions create less depth, more champions, which means more egos which means more stalling and diva behavior while they try to become like 7 division champions, which means if they do that guess what, they clog SEVEN FUCKING DIVISIONS UP. it even makes everyone who came before look weaker because double weight class champ will mean even less than it does now because all you have to do is take a healthy shit to drop 5lbs into the next division instead of actually make an effort. the 155lb, 165, and 170lb divisions will all blend together and nobody but hardcores will be able to keep track of who belongs to what division.

this is why you have champions in boxing that nobody even knows who the fuck that person is, because it's meaningless. you think double champ searching sucks now? in boxing double champ isn't even a thing. you don't get the glory until you get at least 4 weight class belts.

image_2024-02-27_182854111.png

I don't see the necessity, it's just going to water down the promotion. If everybody is champ, nobody is champ. What's next, make a belt for every 5 pounds?
Well they already have the BMF belt so they've jumped the shark as it is. Why not start stamping belts as fast as they can?

Possibly, though there's alot of matchups that would be great to see like:
Jalin Turner, Colby Covington, Michael Chandler, Joel Alvarez, Guram, Gilbert Burns, and Belal Muhammad(if he loses to Leon) and the list goes on so many fighters would crash into there. Also luring new fighters from other organizations that dont have that weight class that want to jump in.

It's by far the top 2 of 3 divisions out there in terms of depth so there's leeway with alot of fighters that usually never getting an opportunity and it'd make it fun.
out of those fighters you listed, you already know who would win in potential match ups. it would be the same exact thing, just 10 more pounds. which they already are on fight night. there is nothing interesting about that. you have already fallen victim to fake hype. it's literally the same product, but a new PPV, that's it. also, LURING fighters? fighters from other orgs have no say, it's all up to the UFC and their talent acquisition, which we already know sucks ass. if they weren't already on the radar, adding the division, doesn't suddenly entice UFC to go seeking out others. makes no sense.

it's the same shit, just for a new "belt" and the opportunity for them to "hype" more "cards" to the "fans."

it's exactly what Dana said he didn't want MMA to become. a watered down suck fest without the thailand whores.

even then, they're all just fodder until the 155 champ decides to go up as well, and "double" champ everything. therefore, it makes no sense, it's only purpose to serve is to create more PPVs for ESPN to get casuals to go "IsLaM TeH GRe#3Te3StTT EvAAAAAAAAAAA WoWWWWWWUUuuu." it's absolutely pointless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
africancelary
Back