Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

lol. I like how they did the transition from russian to english thing but you understand they are actually speaking russian. Actually a genius coverup. They did the same thing in Valkyrie but I thought Cruise's german accent was decent for all 20 seconds of it.

Yeah it worked well. It worked in Valkyrie that for the most part the conspirators had British accents and the actual Nazis had German accents. Give or take a few. Ian McNeice was a straight up Nazi (in this and Conspiracy) and was British. I thought Valkyrie got snubbed for several Oscar nominations.

The Punisher - 1989

-

I didnt think it was that bad. Kind of a fun turn your brain off film. Has some decent action scenes and can get pretty violent, considering this was almost 10 years before blade.

There's something about it that seems like it was written as a cartoon movie, or at least it was presented to some of the actors that way. I swear if you close your eyes while watching it sounds like you are listening to voice actors.

was kinda surprised Louis Gosset was in this. Also I swear Danny Huston was in 4 seconds of this in the beginning but I cant find any info on it so I guess it wasnt him.

Overall, not a great movie but for what it is it is pretty fun.

Also have to laugh at the 5 o clock shadow on Lundgren that is supposed to signify being unkempt and loose cannon yet it looks purposely groomed or even painted on with makeup.

6.2/10 range.

Strays 7.5/10

It was stupid and overly vulgar but if you have a dog there were some really witty and clever jokes sprinkled here and there. I hugged my dog for the first 20 minutes. If movies are meant to invoke emotions then.......michaeljordancrying.gif

The Punisher - 1989

-

I didnt think it was that bad. Kind of a fun turn your brain off film. Has some decent action scenes and can get pretty violent, considering this was almost 10 years before blade.

There's something about it that seems like it was written as a cartoon movie, or at least it was presented to some of the actors that way. I swear if you close your eyes while watching it sounds like you are listening to voice actors.

was kinda surprised Louis Gosset was in this. Also I swear Danny Huston was in 4 seconds of this in the beginning but I cant find any info on it so I guess it wasnt him.

Overall, not a great movie but for what it is it is pretty fun.

Also have to laugh at the 5 o clock shadow on Lundgren that is supposed to signify being unkempt and loose cannon yet it looks purposely groomed or even painted on with makeup.

6.2/10 range.

Best Punisher movie.

I havent seen the thomas jane one since it came out but I remember liking it a good amount. Need to rewatch it.

Still havent seen warzone

I watched all three films back to back to back a few months ago. The Thomas Jane one is OK, but it really plays it too safe. It doesn’t feel like the Punisher at all really. It’s not particularly violent and Jane’s Frank Castle is far too “nice” and personable.

Warzone fucking sucks. I had heard lots of good things about it, none of which it delivered. One of the stupider, crappy action movies I’ve seen in a long time.

I watched all three films back to back to back a few months ago. The Thomas Jane one is OK, but it really plays it too safe. It doesn’t feel like the Punisher at all really. It’s not particularly violent and Jane’s Frank Castle is far too “nice” and personable.

Warzone fucking sucks. I had heard lots of good things about it, none of which it delivered. One of the stupider, crappy action movies I’ve seen in a long time.

I enjoyed that Jane one a lot. That scene where he takes on the whole Travolta compound at the end is legit. But you make a good point about them dialing down Castle. Didn’t think that was a bad thing though. Fit the type of vibe they were going with for that movie plus I didn’t think the film pulled punches when it came to the action.

Yeah War Zone really didn’t appeal to me at all. Ray Stevenson (RIP) seemed like a good choice for the character but I didn’t enjoy that film and was surprised there was a pretty solid contingent of viewers that thought it was the best Punisher film.

I've always heard mixed things about it. If I remember right it was promoted as the "answer" to the Jane Punisher.

So I also finally watched The Room....it was bad. I know Wiseau tried to say it was satire at one point but was it?

I dont know if it is "so bad it's hilarious" on the same level as Volcano or Samurai Cop. It is more so bad you have to see it to believe it.

If on the off chance he purposely made a film that was this terrible as a joke then it might be genius.

So I also finally watched The Room....it was bad. I know Wiseau tried to say it was satire at one point but was it?

I dont know if it is "so bad it's hilarious" on the same level as Volcano or Samurai Cop. It is more so bad you have to see it to believe it.

If on the off chance he purposely made a film that was this terrible as a joke then it might be genius.

I definitely don’t think it was meant to be satirical or tongue in cheek at all but Tommy sort of leaned into that notion when it became a cult sensation.

I very much recommend The Disaster Artist, based on Greg Sestero’s (the actor who played Mark- as in Oh hii, Mark) book about his friendship with Wiseau and the making of The Room.

Hilarious film the vein of Ed Wood. Not quite as good as that classic Burton work but still a lot of fun. Franco brothers play Wiseau and Sestero and both really deliver. Lot of other solid actors in supporting roles or cameos too.

I definitely don’t think it was meant to be satirical or tongue in cheek at all but Tommy sort of leaned into that notion when it became a cult sensation.

I very much recommend The Disaster Artist, based on Greg Sestero’s (the actor who played Mark- as in Oh hii, Mark) book about his friendship with Wiseau and the making of The Room.

Hilarious film the vein of Ed Wood. Not quite as good as that classic Burton work but still a lot of fun. Franco brothers play Wiseau and Sestero and both really deliver. Lot of other solid actors in supporting roles or cameos too.

Funny, I've actually seen the disaster artist and like it quite a bit. Only regret is not watching the room before I saw it.

Really great performance by Franco. Even better in retrospect after finally watching the room.

I'm on team let's bring Franco back. Not saying he didnt do some shady shit but in the grand scheme I think he did his penance by now. He always brought something extra to the films he was in.

Funny, I've actually seen the disaster artist and like it quite a bit. Only regret is not watching the room before I saw it.

Really great performance by Franco. Even better in retrospect after finally watching the room.

I'm on team let's bring Franco back. Not saying he didnt do some shady shit but in the grand scheme I think he did his penance by now. He always brought something extra to the films he was in.

Probably one of his best performances and while I forget if he managed to score an Oscar nomination for that I remember he was justifiably in the conversation and I think he won the best actor in a comedy award at the Globes.

There were so many little funny parts there that really illuminate some of the most ludicrous moments in The Room. One would have to be when he inappropriately laughs at Mark’s story about the reaction of the man who found out his girl was cheating on him. Another- when he does one bad take after another “I did not do it. It’s bullshit. I didn’t do it. I did nahhhht.”

Or the filming of The Room love scene with the great, underrated actress Ari Graynor playing the actress that played Lisa. Seth Rogen’s reaction is priceless.

Plus I thought Dave Franco was great in keeping the film grounded. The contrast between his life with Allison Brie and the tumult with his friendship with Tommy was well done. Bryan Cranston cameo was great. Zac Efron cameo was hilarious.

Probably one of his best performances and while I forget if he managed to score an Oscar nomination for that I remember he was justifiably in the conversation and I think he won the best actor in a comedy award at the Globes.

There were so many little funny parts there that really illuminate some of the most ludicrous moments in The Room. One would have to be when he inappropriately laughs at Mark’s story about the reaction of the man who found out his girl was cheating on him. Another- when he does one bad take after another “I did not do it. It’s bullshit. I didn’t do it. I did nahhhht.”

Or the filming of The Room love scene with the great, underrated character actress Ari Graynor playing the actress that played Lisa. Seth Rogen’s reaction is priceless.

Plus I thought Dave Franco was great in keeping the film grounded. The contrast between his life with Allison Brie and the tumult with his friendship with Tommy was well done. Bryan Cranston cameo was great. Zac Efron cameo was hilarious.

I remember there is a scene where there is a close up of Franco and he really looks and embodies Wiseau on another level than what is presented in most of the film. I'll have to watch it again to know for sure if I was tripping or not.

Dave Franco...I agree he was very good in it. For a while I disregarded him as a nepotism kid but honestly he brings his own style to his stuff despite not being as good as his older brother imo.

I've been thinking about nepotism lately in film and I've concluded it has produced more good than bad overall.

POOR THINGS (2023)

Probably the best of the Oscar best picture nominees that I've seen. I don't think it's a terribly strong year and I don't know when the last terribly strong year was but it's been a while. Acting is good across the board, cinematography never fails to be interesting from start to finish. Pretty strong feminist message I think but the movie wasn't promoted by pre-emptively calling the audience misogynist incels...definitely has more interesting things to say and says them in a more interesting way than something like Terminator Dark Fate.

8.0 / 10.

Last edited:
POOR THINGS (2023)

Probably the best of the Oscar best picture nominees that I've seen. I don't think it's a terribly strong year and I don't know when the last terribly strong year was but it's been a while. Acting is good across the board, cinematography never fails to be interesting from start to finish. Pretty strong feminist message I think but the movie wasn't promoted by pre-emptively calling the audience misogynist incels...definitely has more interesting things to say and says them in a more interesting way than something like Terminator Dark Fate.

8.0 / 10.
This movie seems to be just getting buzz for the nude scenes, but there is more to it. I know people throw around the word "brave" these days as a joke. And rightfully so. But Emma Stone has never been considered a beauty by Hollywood standards. They even uglied her up facially. For her to strip down totally including showing her schnitzel, is either brave or insane. I thought it odd that an A-lister like Jennifer Lawrence went full nude so deep in her career for a small raunchy netflix comedy. At least Emma has a chance at some accolades. There has to be some sort empowerment thing these actresses get--Reese Witherspoon did it too.

This movie seems to be just getting buzz for the nude scenes, but there is more to it. I know people throw around the word "brave" these days as a joke. And rightfully so. But Emma Stone has never been considered a beauty by Hollywood standards. They even uglied her up facially. For her to strip down totally including showing her schnitzel, is either brave or insane. I thought it odd that an A-lister like Jennifer Lawrence went full nude so deep in her career for a small raunchy netflix comedy. At least Emma has a chance at some accolades. There has to be some sort empowerment thing these actresses get--Reese Witherspoon did it too.

I think there's quite a bit more to Poor Things than the nudity. In fact I think the nudity is thought provoking because any dude finding it hot is watching a scene where the character hasn't mentally reached the age of consent. So the movie plays with that sort of stuff and leaves you thinking. It has the same messages as Chasing Amy more or less but then throws in all kinds of stuff like consent, child brides and arranged marriage, etc. I mean the movie ends up kind of having a pro life rather than pro choice message to some degree as well because the whole premise of the movie is kind of undoing a woman's abortion in a weird fantastical way.

Bob Marley: One Love

Most of it I already knew but was a pleasant trip and a good reminder of hope, love and unity. I did have some trouble catching all the dialogue but I don't think I missed much.

Solid
6.5/10

CONGO (1995)

Was thinking maybe this would be better than I remember. It wasn't. Tim Curry and Ernie Hudson bring some screen presence compared to the rest of the cast but even then Ernie's accent is more all over the place than Princess Leia or Kevin Costner's Robin Hood.

The nice trained gorilla with the sign language communicator makes for a likable character. Really cute with the speaking voice box and the most likable person or thing in the movie. But the action with the evil gorillas is a joke. It must have really not worked in camera for them to have gone with the intentional freeze frame-ish effect when the shit goes down. Must have looked awful as normal footage.

5.0 / 10 and that's kind of generous.

The Gambler (1974)

-

I was having deja vu while watching this and then realized I had already seen the Whalberg film and didnt realize it was a remake of this.

Overall from what I remember of that one, this was pretty similar but probably better. Solid throughout, great Caan performance as well as Paul Sorvino. Burt Young's scene was probably my favorite in the movie.

A pretty good look at gambling addiction and the mentality of it. Wasnt big on the ending.

7.2 range

Bob Marley: One Love

Most of it I already knew but was a pleasant trip and a good reminder of hope, love and unity. I did have some trouble catching all the dialogue but I don't think I missed much.

Solid
6.5/10

glad to see it’s doing quite well at the box office. So many movies tanking left and right. Cool that a biopic of a legendary musician resonated.

Some people seem to really dislike these musician biopics. I say keep them coming. I’ve liked a lot of them.

Back