Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

First up was London. Saw Jason Statham, Chris Evans and Jessica Biel were in it, figured fuck it, why not? They do a bunch of cocaine at a house party... can't be terrible, right? Actually had a good cast considering, even though most roles I wouldn't rate much more than a cameo. Dane Cook, Kat Dennings, Louis CK, Ned Bellamy (one of those "Hey, it's that guy...")

Oy. First of all, really fucking weird seeing Jason Statham with hair, in a very non-Statham role and his character actually got funnier the more cocaine he did. By far the bright spot in this movie if there is one, though Jessica Biel in underwear never disappoints. Chris Evans is a dick. Like, a real big fucking asshole, someone who clearly hasn't been punched in the face enough in his character's life. His girl was leaving? Not a real strectch of the imagination as to why. Not only is he a dick, he's dumb as fuck. Here, have this fucking puppy as a present, because you know, what better way to reward someone with an animal to care for for a fucking decade? Also, I have no idea what even happened to the puppy after it's one scene. Maybe I was tired and missed something, but whatever. Still a fucked up movie.

Wasn't a total waste, I laughed watching ridiculous haircut Jason Statham lose his shit in a fancy suit and get in a a simple cocaine-fueled normal person's fight. And to be fair, he actually shows some decent acting chops in this film.

Followed London up with... Ca$h (2010) starring Sean Bean and Chris Hemsworth.

Fun movie, loved it.

Sean Bean being just bad guy Sean Bean. Non-Thor with a smoking hot girlfriend. One of those fuck around and find out kind of movies.

Of course it's completely implausible, but who cares? It's definitely worth watching at least once.

Road House (2024)

-

I liked it. I thought it stayed true to the spirit of the first movie while switching some things up to make it its own. It is just a good old fun cheesey action movie that knows what it is and doesnt swerve out of its lane. Production design was very good and is a good film to kickstart the spring and summer vibe ahead.

Thought Jake G was good in the lead. Mcgregor wasnt great acting wise but as far as being an overtop cartoonish villain he delivers.

Not as good as the original but I think it is a solid remake and pretty fun with good action.

7/10 range

Ghost 6.5/10

Finally got roped into watching it. Always assumed it was a total romance chick flick based on its reputation. Was pleasantly suprised to be wrong. Had more humor than I expected, and Whoopi was a good actress before she went off the deep end. No burning desire to watch again, but it drew me in and entertained me on a "stay at home date night".

- Watched that movie so many times.

I am watching Loaded Weapon with Emilio Estevez and Samuel L Jackson. Its a funny movie, but not as good as Naked Gun or Hot-shots.

Btw. You guys think anyone could pull a Police Academy today?

Anywho - was sitting in on a Q and A at TIFF for work and Patricia Rozema was taking questions. She’s a pretty interesting director and producer. Followed by a screening of her “white Room.”

The actors were great and the cinematography was wonderful. Interesting story about a peeping Tom who ends up obsessing over a murder he accidentally witnesses. I recommend it if you can find a way to stream it.

- Watched that movie so many times.

I am watching Loaded Weapon with Emilio Estevez and Samuel L Jackson. Its a funny movie, but not as good as Naked Gun or Hot-shots.

Btw. You guys think anyone could pull a Police Academy today?

Even though most of the nostalgic remakes (Red Dawn, Ghostbusters etc), have been awful, Police Academy might actually be possible to pull off with the right cast. My first thought instantly went to having Commandant Lassard pull off a cameo but sadly George Gaynes is no longer with us.

This would have been a wicked film done about 10 or 15 years ago with Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, Ed Helms, and Jason Sudeikis. I think they would kill the roles, but simply have aged out of the "recruit" bracket and are a little old for the parts.

If it were done right, I'd be in.

Even though most of the nostalgic remakes (Red Dawn, Ghostbusters etc), have been awful, Police Academy might actually be possible to pull off with the right cast. My first thought instantly went to having Commandant Lassard pull off a cameo but sadly George Gaynes is no longer with us.

This would have been a wicked film done about 10 or 15 years ago with Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, Ed Helms, and Jason Sudeikis. I think they would kill the roles, but simply have aged out of the "recruit" bracket and are a little old for the parts.

With the way Law enforcement is today ? I’d find it hard to imagine someone is going to endorse a police film trying to shed them in good light when just about everyone somewhere is looking to defund these guys they’ve been exposed badly now with today’s technology.

No one’s touching a police movie unless they are willing to throw away money . Lol

Ricky Stanicky 5/10
This a comedy starring John Cena and Zac Efron. The premise is clever. 3 lifelong friends invented a 4th friend that never existed to blame shit on, and use to get out of familial obligations and take man trips etc. This is not a great movie, but John Cena really impressed me. He actually is very funny and is more capable than I thought. The rest of the movie falls a little flat. They went woke in a way that doesn't make sense to the movie....the one friend is a black gay guy, and just doesn't jive with friends that would do the type of things they do. Not realistic at all and was not necessary. There are some laughs here, almost all with Cena's scenes, but too far apart to make this a really funny movie. Worth a watch if nothing else is going on, if only to see Cena's chops.
This was very funny in the beginning but got very dumb and old fast with the quirky humor after mid way .

The Nanny 1965

I’ve seen this a long time ago I was about 6/7 in the late 70”s watched it again it featured Bette Davis and if you like slow tension thrillers this is a great film about a rich kid about 10 who comes back home and reunites with the fam in any who he accuses of trying to kill him and he claims she drowned his sister .

This scared the hell out of me bc I watched it with my nanny and Davis gives a very intense performance I think this is her second best movie next to Whatever’s Happened To Baby Jane . Nothing over the top crazy happened in this movie but that’s part of its charm your waiting but it keeps you interested waiting because the entire movie takes place in one setting but it manages to successfully not get predictable.

I give it a 9 for the delivery it was trying to get a must watch for those who like the older Psycho like black and white films , I actually think this has more replay value then Psycho but that’s just me as it isn’t a one direction movie it has some twists in it and is creepy in its own way without wielding a knife .

Last edited:
Road House (2024)

-

I liked it. I thought it stayed true to the spirit of the first movie while switching some things up to make it its own. It is just a good old fun cheesey action movie that knows what it is and doesnt swerve out of its lane. Production design was very good and is a good film to kickstart the spring and summer vibe ahead.

Thought Jake G was good in the lead. Mcgregor wasnt great acting wise but as far as being an overtop cartoonish villain he delivers.

Not as good as the original but I think it is a solid remake and pretty fun with good action.

7/10 range

6.5-7 is about what I have. Entertaining movie. It struck the old-school action film chords pretty well. Plot is thin but the narrative is linear and does what it needs to hold together the action setpieces and fight scenes. I thought Jake was quite good, as he often is. Obviously, not his most nuanced role by a long shot but he did well with it. I really think Melchior has a huge career ahead of her. I thought she was really charismatic and memorable in Gunn's Suicide Squad and she made the most of her screentime in Guardians 3 as well. This film didn't really give her a whole lot to do but I still liked her in it. Magnussen could play this type of cocky heel role in his sleep. He just dials into the brashness and arrogance really well. He's a good actor. Stole the show from a solid cast in Game Night a few years back.

As for McGregor, I thought he was effective in a role that didn't exactly demand a lot from him. He had good screen presence and the fight scenes with Jake were well executed.

This film had that sort of classic action movie trope where the hero is not afraid of the heels but is afraid of what he himself is capable of when provoked. The humor was pretty decent, too. It's nothing earth-shattering but a diverting, action film. Liman has long been a quality director.

Also, nice touch that the UFC participated in this, but the middleweight championship fight and how it played out

might have been one of the fundamentally murky elements of the film. You set up that this guy sees red when he's angered and loses all perception of consequences, etc but he doesn't present that vibe at all through most of the film's runtime. Even if you argue that he was suppressing that aspect of his personality, it didn’t really seem to hold since he was playing his character as likable and composed and his behavior in the infamous fight was just outright negligent and heinous.

Last edited:
6.5-7 is about what I have. Entertaining movie. It struck the old-school action film chords pretty well. Plot is thin but the narrative is linear and does what it needs to hold together the action setpieces and fight scenes. I thought Jake was quite good, as he often is. Obviously, not his most nuanced role by a long shot but he did well with it. I really think Melchior has a huge career ahead of her. I thought she was really charismatic and memorable in Gunn's Suicide Squad and she made the most of her screentime in Guardians 3 as well. This film didn't really give her a whole lot to do but I still liked her in it. Magnussen could play this type of cocky heel role in his sleep. He just dials into the brashness and arrogance really well. He's a good actor. Stole the show from a solid cast in Game Night a few years back.

As for McGregor, I thought he was effective in a role that didn't exactly demand a lot from him. He had good screen presence and the fight scenes with Jake were well executed.

This film had that sort of classic action movie trope where the hero is not afraid of the heels but is afraid of what he himself is capable of when provoked. The humor was pretty decent, too. It's nothing earth-shattering but a diverting, action film. Liman has long been a quality director.

Also, nice touch that the UFC participated in this, but the middleweight championship fight and how it played out

might have been one of the fundamentally murky elements of the film. You set up that this guy sees red when he's angered and loses all perception of consequences, etc but he doesn't present that vibe at all through most of the film's runtime. Even if you argue that he was suppressing that aspect of his personality, it didn’t really seem to hold since he was playing his character as likable and composed and his behavior in the infamous fight was just outright negligent and heinous.

Yeah that was something the first did a lot better. Swayze's rage isnt given a specific backstory but he is slowly picked at too much until we get the famous throat ripping scene, and the scared reaction of Kelly Lynch.

That's why I was expecting Mcgregor to die a little bit earlier in the film. Or at least have him kill Mcgregor in a more brutal way. I mean, I guess getting stabbed a bunch of times is brutal, but it felt more like a choreographed mortal kombat fatality rather than the first movie where it feels like he really snapped.

- I think Steve Carell could do a good Tackleberry, even though he is my favorite character in the series, and David Graff was the best!

Terry Crews could be a Hightower.

Cant see nobody as Mahoney. Nobody can substitute George Gaynes as lassar and neither nobody can match G.W. Bailey as Harris. The characters had a certain deep, because Mahoney ands Harris were normal persons, surrouded by cartoonistic characters, i never noted that when i was a kid, obviously. Harris was a jerk, but he deep cared about his cops.

I watched the first 3 movies recently and they're as a fun, as they were the first time i watched, but now they're ore charming to me, because someone pointed the deep of some characters on a forum. I admit i didnt ever noted that.

- I think Steve Carell could do a good Tackleberry, even though he is my favorite character in the series, and David Graff was the best!

Terry Crews could be a Hightower.

Cant see nobody as Mahoney. Nobody can substitute George Gaynes as lassar and neither nobody can match G.W. Bailey as Harris. The characters had a certain deep, because Mahoney ands Harris were normal persons, surrouded by cartoonistic characters, i never noted that when i was a kid, obviously. Harris was a jerk, but he deep cared about his cops.

I watched the first 3 movies recently and they're as a fun, as they were the first time i watched, but now they're ore charming to me, because someone pointed the deep of some characters on a forum. I admit i didnt ever noted that.
Of all the up and comers, I think Nick Robinson could pull of the role of Mahoney. I would avoid some of the more well known youthful actors (Holland, Chalamet), and I really thought Robinson did a fantastic job in Silk Road. I never realized Steve Guttenberg was only 25 when he did the first PA, I honestly put him at early to mid 30's.

You are absolutely correct in anyone doing a better job than George Gaynes. I wish he had slightly larger roles in the movies, he was so fun to watch. I could only see two actors who would be able to pull off such a role today, and that's either D"Onofrio or Malkovich, just given the approximate age and ability to play an eccentric character.

Sexy Beast was fantastic, I need to see it again soon.

Also The Limey, which nobody ever talks about.

Sexy Beast is an absolute classic. I watched it again a few months ago. I love it.

I watched the Limey but it did not resonate with me. Don't know why. It had all the outer signs of a film that I would like but it ending up being pretty meh for me.

Sexy Beast is an absolute classic. I watched it again a few months ago. I love it.

I watched the Limey but it did not resonate with me. Don't know why. It had all the outer signs of a film that I would like but it ending up being pretty meh for me.

I have a soft spot for Terence Stamp.

You should, um, kneel before him.

Ricky Stanicky (USA, 2024)

American comedy directed by Peter Farrelly and starring an ensemble cast including Zac Efron, William H Macy and John Cena.

A trio of childhood friends (Efron and others) invent an imaginary friend to take the fall for them when they accidentally set fire to a neighbouring house. It works so well, in their minds at least, that they are still using the same ruse in their mid-30's. In the present, "Ricky" is mainly an excuse to occasionally ditch their wives to have fun.

Complications eventually arise that force them to hire an actor to pretend to be Ricky in the flesh. Since this is a comedy, they choose John Cena, an alcoholic struggling actor best known for his Atlantic City one man show singing sex parody songs under the stage name "Rock Hard Rod".

As you may guess, the new plan works surprisingly well until it doesn't.

The central premise of the film is good and there is a lot of potential. John Cena has a knack for comedy. As does Efron, despite the handicap of only looking vaguely humanoid at this point in his life.

Unfortunately, the film tops out at "occasionally mildly funny". It does not help that Efron and his friends are low key assholes and not particularly likeable. The real sin of the movie is the run time. Even if perfectly executed, there is barely 90 minutes of material and it is stretched way too thin over nearly 2 hours. This seems to be the achilles heel of so many streaming movies.

Overall, it is a barely passable, forgettable streaming movie.

Rating: 5/10

Last edited:
Watched three films this weekend but can't be bothered to do full reviews.

Sybil (1976)
7/10
Hasn't aged that well and there are plenty of superior imitations.

The Fabelmans (2022)
6/10
Critics loved it, I didn't. It had it's moments but felt kind of masturbatory. I'm sure it's better than my rating (technically it's excellent and Spielberg knows when to hit the beats and how hard) but at the end of the day I just didn't care. Michelle Williams was really good. The one scene I really liked didn't belong in an autobiographical film (the power in truth in film).

Madame Web (2024)
4/10
Everyone knows this sucked, but what might not be obvious is that it didn't have to. I saw the bones of a passable story but the directing was SO incredibly bad nobody had a chance. The script and especially the dialogue were garbage, like a competent writer provided an outline and a producer's kids created a script from it. Also I don't think Dakota Johnson was ever going to make this work, she doesn't have the gravitas necessary for a character like this.

Of all the up and comers, I think Nick Robinson could pull of the role of Mahoney. I would avoid some of the more well known youthful actors (Holland, Chalamet), and I really thought Robinson did a fantastic job in Silk Road. I never realized Steve Guttenberg was only 25 when he did the first PA, I honestly put him at early to mid 30's.

You are absolutely correct in anyone doing a better job than George Gaynes. I wish he had slightly larger roles in the movies, he was so fun to watch. I could only see two actors who would be able to pull off such a role today, and that's either D"Onofrio or Malkovich, just given the approximate age and ability to play an eccentric character.
- And this fella?

1711237578751.jpeg

Guttemberg looked far older than 25 in the first movie.

Back