Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Robot Dreams (2023)

8/10

A story about a dog and his robot.

This animated film explores relationships, loneliness, dedication and dependency, all without a word of dialogue.

The animation is brilliant, artistically it's a masterpiece. They do an incredible job of expressing emotion and motive. The framing is fantastic, as is the world they created populated by anthropomorphic animals.

There was a lot more sorrow in this film than I expected and had I known I might not have watched, but it was really, really good.

Robot_Dreams-312753716-large.jpg

Beware: Trailer gives too much away.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire. 2.5/5, kinda a letdown on this one. Some of the good humor was there, but the cast was way to big and they played way to hard on the nostalgia factor which is a complete flip from the last movie where they balanced it really well. Was hoping for a repeat of how surprisingly great the last movie was, but it fell flat for me.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire. 2.5/5, kinda a letdown on this one. Some of the good humor was there, but the cast was way to big and they played way to hard on the nostalgia factor which is a complete flip from the last movie where they balanced it really well. Was hoping for a repeat of how surprisingly great the last movie was, but it fell flat for me.

They leaned hard into returning cast members in the trailers, and it felt forced as hell.

The Great Escaper (2023)

7.0 - 7.5 / 10

So I wanted to know how this compared to The Last Rifleman, and it was better in every way.

Michael Caine is obviously better than Brosnan, and the interactions he had on the road were considerably better than in The Last Rifleman. By an order of magnitude.

I'm not surprised this had a theatrical release while Brosnan's film went straight to Sky.

Glenda Jackson practically stole the show as Jordan's wife. She had significant screen time and made every second count.

I might have rated this higher (7.5 - 8.0), but it felt like they really romanticized the marriage here. I appreciate love and devotion but they seemed too perfect to be real.

35179_175577_ps_sd-high.jpg

I don't actually recommend watching this trailer (if anyone ever actually looks at the trailers I post). It spoils one of the excellent interactions I vaguely referenced. Spoils it completely.

Mr. Right (USA, 2015)

American romantic action comedy starring Sam Rockwell and Anna Kendrick.

Martha (Kendrick) is depressed after finding her boyfriend cheating with another woman (to be fair, they do say that Martha can join them). She bumps into the odd and eccentric Francis (Rockwell) at a convenience store and he convinces Martha to go out with him.

The relationship goes well but it is complicated by the fact that Francis is a former government assassin and is being stalked by a litany of people trying to kill him.

The characters will seem familiar because Rockwell and Kendrick have both played essentially the same characters in a bunch of other movies. I could live with that. In fact, it is the reason I bothered to watch this movie at all. Despite both actors being able to play their roles in their sleep, the movie itself is pretty bad. The script is weak and the plot just spins in circles and gets less interesting as it goes along.

Rating: 4.5/10

The trailer gives away too much but it is not a good movie so I linked it below anyway.

I liked it way more than you did, but I'm an Anna K fan. Probably a 6 or so for me.

And Atomic Blonde was great.

They leaned hard into returning cast members in the trailers, and it felt forced as hell.
Pretty much. They didn't seem to catch that the reason the last one worked was because the new cast is great for newcomers, and seeing some of the old çast is great for parents without it being to much.

Not going to lie, I absolutely loved this film. Start to finish, I thought it was hilarious. Rockwell and Kendrick had inexplicable but undeniable chemistry, and the supporting cast was excellent. Roth as the expert antagonist was perfect. Shotgun Steve bitching about his weapons options had me in stiches.

Francis: [pinned down in a gunfight] I'm gonna kill one of these guys.
Martha McKay: Fine.
Francis: It's the last one, I promise.
Martha McKay: No, I don't care.
Francis: You say that now, but later in the car you'll be, "why'd you have to..."
Martha McKay: No, I don't care!

Comedies I like are few and far between these days and this one had a number of elements that really worked for me.

I am glad you liked it so much. It just did not work for me, despite how much I like both leads.

I liked it way more than you did, but I'm an Anna K fan. Probably a 6 or so for me.

And Atomic Blonde was great.

I only gave it a 4.5 because I like Kendrick and Rockwell so much!

I am glad you enjoyed it more than I did. Probably the sort of movie that you have to be in just the right mood to enjoy

I am glad you liked it so much. It just did not work for me, despite how much I like both leads.

Not everyone likes the same things.

I've recommended this film to so many people over the years I wonder how many of them felt the same way you do and now ignore my recommendations.

calm-cat-1-1.jpg

Not everyone likes the same things.

I've recommended this film to so many people over the years I wonder how many of them felt the same way you do and now ignore my recommendations.

calm-cat-1-1.jpg
probably <Fedor23>

Godzilla x Kong: New Empire (2024)
Went to watch this earlier today. More or less delivered! I'm a sucker for these things, and it pretty much delivered most things I wanted it do - ticked most boxes. Hollow Earth looked the part, the big two were decent. I was a bit iffy about the 'weaponry' angle from the trailers but it was fine. The new titans were mostly solid additions to the roster. Skar King and Shimo were cool, liked both, although their relationship was a bit dubious - had to suspend doubt a bit, there. Tiamat looked awesome and would've loved it to be a bigger part of the movie, same with Scylla who looked mega cool but was a can. That sort of ties in with my only major criticism - sometimes felt like there was too much going on. Felt like they could've focused on less and added more meat to it. Also, hard to see where this franchise goes from here - it feels a bit dead, now. Like, can't see how the next movie is planned, which is a shame. Anyway - solid, 7/10.

Godzilla x Kong: New Empire (2024)
Went to watch this earlier today. More or less delivered! I'm a sucker for these things, and it pretty much delivered most things I wanted it do - ticked most boxes. Hollow Earth looked the part, the big two were decent. I was a bit iffy about the 'weaponry' angle from the trailers but it was fine. The new titans were mostly solid additions to the roster. Skar King and Shimo were cool, liked both, although their relationship was a bit dubious - had to suspend doubt a bit, there. Tiamat looked awesome and would've loved it to be a bigger part of the movie, same with Scylla who looked mega cool but was a can. That sort of ties in with my only major criticism - sometimes felt like there was too much going on. Felt like they could've focused on less and added more meat to it. Also, hard to see where this franchise goes from here - it feels a bit dead, now. Like, can't see how the next movie is planned, which is a shame. Anyway - solid, 7/10.

Definitely going to check this out.

The Thing (1982)

-

Never got this one. Very overrated imo. The practical effects do not hold up and the story has more tell than show despite what you might force yourself to remember. The "intense paranoia" it is known for is said several times within the movie which is why I think people use that term when describing this film.

It definitely holds the audiences hand and guides them on what to make of the film instead of letting them do it themselves.

The plot is completely nonsensical and full of holes, the editing leaves the pacing out of wack. And worst of all Kurt Russell and the rest of the cast are completely checked out and it is obvious they just wanted to get this movie over with.

Overall: the definition of nostalgia goggles, one of those films people like to convince themselves is good while ignoring the vast amount of flaws and lack of real artistic soul.

April fools/10

On The Line-6/10
Mel Gibson as a shock jock radio host that encounters a psycho. This is no cinematic masterpiece, but there are enough twists and turns to keep you engaged and things make more sense as the movie races to the finish line. For me, the twists and turns were predictable and easy to figure out, but they still entertained me. Mel Gibson is still a beast, but unfortunately the supporting cast was weak and brought this production down quite a bit. The movie also felt like it should have been made in the 90s, as radio DJ s and shock jocks are kind of a thing of the past. I can't get too much into what COULD have made this a winner without ruining the plot, but I think this is better than critics are saying, but only worth a watch if you have nothing else to do, or you are a huge Gibson fan. It is at least as good as most of the made for streaming services action movies.

1712069490436.png

The Thing (1982)

-

Never got this one. Very overrated imo. The practical effects do not hold up and the story has more tell than show despite what you might force yourself to remember. The "intense paranoia" it is known for is said several times within the movie which is why I think people use that term when describing this film.

It definitely holds the audiences hand and guides them on what to make of the film instead of letting them do it themselves.

The plot is completely nonsensical and full of holes, the editing leaves the pacing out of wack. And worst of all Kurt Russell and the rest of the cast are completely checked out and it is obvious they just wanted to get this movie over with.

Overall: the definition of nostalgia goggles, one of those films people like to convince themselves is good while ignoring the vast amount of flaws and lack of real artistic soul.

April fools/10
LMAO:
1712069590201.png

I really enjoyed this film and remember being surprised that people on here didn't like it. Then I remembered Sherdogers pretty much hate women. Great use of songs on the soundtrack. There were a couple of songs that were used a couple of times as in the original version, then later in the film, a cover version and I thought that was really done well. Its been a while since I've seen it and I'm probably due for a re-watch.
I don't hate women, I actually really like Theron. I didn't hate the movie, but the absurdity was too much. Not as bad as Salt, but up there. It's why I stopped the Fast and Furious movies as well. I can suspend belief to a point, but buying a waif model blocking punches and beating up professional thugs can be exhausting. I did like the look, feel, and setting of the movie.

I really enjoyed this film and remember being surprised that people on here didn't like it. Then I remembered Sherdogers pretty much hate women. Great use of songs on the soundtrack. There were a couple of songs that were used a couple of times as in the original version, then later in the film, a cover version and I thought that was really done well. Its been a while since I've seen it and I'm probably due for a re-watch.
All style, no soul. It's John Wick from Wish. Let's add bad editing and a corny soundtrack.

The "hate women" comment is so fucking lame btw.

buying a waif model blocking punches and beating up professional thugs can be exhausting.
I don't mind that actually. I don't ask for much. Give me good editing and I'll have fun. I've watched Michelle Yeoh kick ass for 30 years.

It's a pretentious, empty vessel and that's why I hated it. It's not a movie. It's a collection of cool scenes mashed together.

She is Conann (France, 2023) - 3.5/5
conann.png

a very bizarre & disorienting film, which appears to be the MO for director Bertrand Mandico from what i understand. in brief, it's an oneiric take on the sword & sorcery subgenre about the many lives & loves of a barbarian warrior named Conann. it almost seems quaint to call the storytelling fractured as it's more akin to the experience one has when looking through a kaleidoscope while edging on the precipice of a k-hole. i wasn't always hip to what in the fucking heck was happening or why, but i also never grew bored or frustrated by it. it's filmmaking at its most baroque; the dreamy visuals & set pieces alone might make it a worthwhile endeavor for some, but She is Conann is 100% getting locked away in the NOT FOR EVERYONE vault.

Curiosa (UK, 2022) - 3.5/5
curiosa.png

a short film about the anxieties of dating & prying into the unknown from your partner's past. it blends stop-motion animation w/ live-action, although the live-action element is filmed in a way to mimic the stop-motion style. i'm a sucker for stop-motion anything, so yeah, thumbs up from me.

Back