Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Elysium
-
It has some stuff going for it. Damon is okay in the lead and the production design especially in elysium/space station is pretty cool. The robots look pretty cool too.

It never really finds its stride for me though and I never found myself truly getting invested in the plot or the characters. Like the little girl....its like I'm supposed to care about her just because she is a cute kid. I don't.

The biggest negative for me is the editing and camera work especially in the major action scenes. Everything is so jumpy and shakey and is like it was cut together by a hyperactive 5th grader. It occasionally throws in some random slo mo too for no apparent reason. It makes the action not even fun to watch.

there's something sociopathic about the movie. As if it's attempting to portray that it has heart and emotions but there isnt anything really there. It feels soulless and forced.

At least the themes and social commentary about immigration is subtle. Oh wait no it isnt.

The ending is okay. Still, found this movie a chore to watch and way more boring than it had any right to be.

I'd give it like a generous 5.5/10

Elysium
-
It has some stuff going for it. Damon is okay in the lead and the production design especially in elysium/space station is pretty cool. The robots look pretty cool too.

It never really finds its stride for me though and I never found myself truly getting invested in the plot or the characters. Like the little girl....its like I'm supposed to care about her just because she is a cute kid. I don't.

The biggest negative for me is the editing and camera work especially in the major action scenes. Everything is so jumpy and shakey and is like it was cut together by a hyperactive 5th grader. It occasionally throws in some random slo mo too for no apparent reason. It makes the action not even fun to watch.

there's something sociopathic about the movie. As if it's attempting to portray that it has heart and emotions but there isnt anything really there. It feels soulless and forced.

At least the themes and social commentary about immigration is subtle. Oh wait no it isnt.

The ending is okay. Still, found this movie a chore to watch and way more boring than it had any right to be.

If you want to see all of these problems doubled and then cubed keep riding the Blomkamp train down to Chappie.

For now I'm in desperate need of a pallete cleanser so I'm watching back to the future since its been a minute.

Dungeons & Dragons

It had it's moments, but I think fantasy mixed with satire just isn't really my thing.

5/10

I'm almost afraid to rewatch District 9 now. I liked it in the theater so I'd rather save that memory from corruption.

It's a pretty good movie. It was just the only real idea Blomkamp ever had.

Air
8/10

Good acting all round, loved the nostalgia and the soundtrack. Interesting story, well shot. Had a great time.

Elysium
-

The film has an amazing UK bass (what was formerly known as dubstep before Skrillex and all the brostep guys took over and made og's ashamed of the label) & wonky/glitch soundtrack

Last edited:
The Boxer
-
Great performance from Daniel Day Lewis in a more subtle kind of performance. Also thought Emily Watson, Brian Cox, Ken Stott, and Gerard Mcsorley delivered great performances.

Its a pretty grounded drama taking place in the background of a divided Ireland. I enjoyed watching how each of the characters try and trek through the conflict and cope in different ways. All of the characters feel real, well rounded, and you can understand where each are coming from.

I personally found the romance between DDL and Watson fine but I wasnt as invested in it as much as I was the stuff with the IRA and the conflict between violent and peaceful solutions.

You get a lot of impactful moments, with the fantastic score adding the right amount of emotional weight to them.

I thought the ending was great.

Overall i found it a solid character driven drama that you can tell was made with a very personal touch.

I'd give it around a 7.5

The Boxer
-
Great performance from Daniel Day Lewis in a more subtle kind of performance. Also thought Emily Watson, Brian Cox, Ken Stott, and Gerard Mcsorley delivered great performances.

Its a pretty grounded drama taking place in the background of a divided Ireland. I enjoyed watching how each of the characters try and trek through the conflict and cope in different ways. All of the characters feel real, well rounded, and you can understand where each are coming from.

I personally found the romance between DDL and Watson fine but I wasnt as invested in it as much as I was the stuff with the IRA and the conflict between violent and peaceful solutions.

You get a lot of impactful moments, with the fantastic score adding the right amount of emotional weight to them.

I thought the ending was great.

Overall i found it a solid character driven drama that you can tell was made with a very personal touch.

I'd give it around a 7.5

Yes. Now you're ready for Chappie.

Air
8/10

Good acting all round, loved the nostalgia and the soundtrack. Interesting story, well shot. Had a great time.
I enjoyed air as well but like all movies based on real events I dig into the accuracy of the movie and air was so much fiction it changed my view of the film and took away my appreciation. I understand certain things will be excluded or embellished. But Air just fabricated stuff to make a fiction film.

in the movie Matt Damon’s character (sonny vacaro) bypasses the agents and official way of doing business and drives straight to North Carolina to get his word in. This didn’t happen, it was 100% handled through agents and vacaro didn’t meet Jordan mom until months after meeting directly with Jordan and Jordan’s agent David falk.

the movie implies that Nike had a small budget for basketball and sonny vacaro went all in on Jordan instead dividing it among multiple players. This was made up, the budget was much higher than portrayed in the movie and they in fact signed 5 different players as they planned all along.

The movie portrayed Jordan’s mom as this kind of Richard Williams type head of the house who controlled the strings. In real life she had very little role in the business meetings although Jordan himself insisted she had great influence over him and he pushed for the movie to emphasize that.

There’s plenty more examples where the movie made stuff up[\spoiler]

The Man from Toronto
[Netflix]

6/10

For a bit of a time pass and some lolz, Kevin Hart always delivers. This is good fun and Woody Harrelson probably does a better job than Jason Statham [originally cast in the role] wouldve imo.

Chappie
-
Again like Elysium I thought the film looked good. It has a decent color pallete I guess.

I did actually kind of like Chappie as a character but I'm not sure if I ever really get to know him. His character development is pretty convenient and fast. He has a personality and emotions like...right away.

I get hes supposed to be a metaphor for a child but it brushes over the fact that his maker created an AI with human like emotions without any struggle or effort.

You also get some high manipulation stuff with his character such as him cowering like a scared puppy when he first gets turned on.

The film has moments where it's almost on the edge of creating impactful moments, but keeps undermining itself with random shifts in the direction and tone of the scenes. There is a scene toward the end that I thought had potential for exploring a tough and important dilemma and choice....but then it doesnt.

Nothing really feels earned, and every problem is settled without any suspense or real challenge. It also changed direction and focus too much for me to really settle into the movie.

The rest of the characters are pretty bare too and Hugh Jackman is up there as one of the lamest villains I've seen in a while.

In the end it didnt rub me the wrong way quite as much as Elysium. So I'll give it a generous 5.7 or something.

Also the editing was terrible again.

Last edited:
Chappie
-
Again like Elysium I thought the film looked good. It was a decent color pallete I guess.

I did actually kind of like Chappie as a character but I'm not sure if I ever really get to know him. His character development is pretty convenient and fast. He has a personality and emotions like...right away.

I get hes supposed to be a metaphor for a child but it brushes over the fact that his maker created an AI with human like emotions without any struggle or effort.

You also get some high manipulation stuff with his character such as him cowering like a scared puppy when he first gets turned on.

The film has moments where it's almost in the edge of creating impactful moments, but keeps undermining itself with random shifts in the direction and tone of the scenes. There is a scene toward the end that I thought had potential for exploring a tough and important dilemma and choice....but then it doesnt.

Nothing really feels earned, and every problem is settled without any suspense or real challenge. It also changed direction and focus too much for me to really settle into the movie.

The rest of the characters are pretty bare too and Hugh Jackman is up there as one of the lamest villains I've seen in a while.

In the end it didnt rub me the wrong way quite as much as Elysium. So I'll give it a generous 5.7 or something.

Also the editing was terrible again.

That should have been on the DVD cover to get people to rent it.

CHAPPIE

51TBx8wp3ZL._AC_SY445_.jpg

"It was a decent color palette I guess"
- Revoltub

That should have been on the DVD cover to get people to rent it.

CHAPPIE

51TBx8wp3ZL._AC_SY445_.jpg

"It was a decent color palette I guess"
- Revoltub

Damn I dont know how I missed typing was instead of has. I blame Blomkamp for making me dumber.

I guess I have to watch demonic now.

Back