Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Hey it's my buddy! Where have you been hiding? You doing good?
Hey dude how you keeping?

I've been staying away from all things internet related for a while, life has been a bit shitty and I can't be adding any more internet negativity to it

but I miss some of you guys, I couldn't stay away for long

Hey dude how you keeping?

I've been staying away from all things internet related for a while, life has been a bit shitty and I can't be adding any more internet negativity to it

but I miss some of you guys, I couldn't stay away for long

I'm keeping well, can't complain. Life is relatively good. Well that's understandable that I haven't seen you in awhile, I hope everything turns around for you.

Btw I know you are a rap music aficionado. I got a new poll up, here it is right here. I'm just curious which album is better in your opinion?

Wish you the best.

Maestro

-

Oscar season continues.

This one...well if anything it shows what potential Cooper has behind the camera. It is a very well directed film. In front of the camera he is equally great, as is Cary Mulligan, and their chemistry together helps the film shine.

It's a pretty lively film, especially in the first half of the film. Lively in the old time movie way, complete with transatlantic accents. Second half has a different feel, as Cooper makes an interesting visual switch halfway through.

Let's not get it twisted though. This definitely isnt going to come on top of my best picture rankings this year. The actual story and movement of the film isnt very balanced with the performances or directing.

It is one of those best picture nominees that seems to be one of the ones that just takes up space in the list. I'm starting to wonder if we should get back to 5 nominees. This is one that probably should've been fine in the best actor/actress category and left at that.

Overall worth watching for Cooper, Mulligan and their chemistry together, along with some good direction. But not much else.

5.9/10 range.

Last edited:
Lethal weapon 4

Besides the first one, this is my favorite of em all. Thought the cast did a fantastic job and the dialogue was great. It felt like natural talk unlike other buddy cop movies that really force it. Jet li makes his presence known. Favorite part is the end fight scene. It's not "we are badass cops who kick this guys ass" . No it's the two of them and jet li beats the shit out of them lol.

8.5/10

Secret of NIMH (1982) - 8/10

I rewatched this movie on Family Day because it was free on Amazon, and Miyazaki movies are not presently available on Amazon Prime.

My children are adolescents, my age when I first watched NIMH. I remember liking the attack by the rat guard and liking when the mice wandered around the rat lair.

On rewatching, I am reminded of the video game Dragon's Lair, and it turns out that Don Bluth animated Dragon's Lair and NIMH.

Bluth also used to work for Disney, and the Disney style is apparent.

I forgot that the NIMH rat leader had an underwater layer, like Bond villain Stromberg (I am also rewatching all the Bond movies right now with my wife), only all quaint and homey-looking, with access by a lantern elevator.
nimh.jpg

I wouldn't put this movie up with the all time greats, but it is a great family movie, although maybe not for really young children, because the rats have sword fights to the death, and there is blood. Also, I didn't know about the lead voice actor, sad story; many of the voice actors died within a decade of NIMH release.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put this movie up with the all time greats, but it is a great family movie, although maybe not for really young children because the rats have sword fights to the death, and there is blood. Also, I didn't know about the lead voice actor, sad story; many of the voice actors died within a decade of NIMH release.

Yeah Jenner was played by Sosa from Scarface. He did a great job...had one of the great voices and probably would have done a lot of narrating and such in documentaries had he not died in the worst days of the AIDS crisis.

Hanging Garden (Japan, 2005) - 4/5
hanginggarden.png
(directed by Toshiaki Toyoda)

add this one to the list of great, & totally out there, Japanese dysfunctional family dramedies. this one is lighter on the comedy, heavy on the psychological drama. some truly spectacular camerawork throughout, starting immediately from the opening shot w/ an extreme closeup panning along on what appears to be some sort of mural, but the camera eventually starts to slowly pan out, revealing that it was revolving around the stained glass lamp shade of the ceiling light above the kitchen table. this opening shot continues on w/ some ridiculously fluid movements, like a floating specter hovering throughout the small (but homey) housing project apartment, gliding around the room and our main characters as they gather for breakfast. top notch shit.

Bluebeard (France, 2009) - 3.5/5
bluebeard.png
(directed by Catherine Breillat)

very minimalist retelling of the Bluebeard fairytale that mixes period piece with the contemporary. there are so many cinematic versions of this fairy tale & this one is memorable while not breaking too much new ground. only my second Breillat & thinking imma be watching some more in the very near future

American Beauty (USA, 1999) - 3/5

Predator (USA, 1987) - 3.5/5

Miller's Girl

6.5/10

Dagmara Dominczyk stole the show as the boozie, sultry wife.
She really did. At first I was thinking she was based on Henry Miller's wife June but its more like her character is straight out of a Tennessee Williams play. She was probably my favorite part of the movie.

And now I feel like I should rewatch Henry and June.

henry-and-june-8407l.jpg

Madame Web-3/10
Sometimes, I like to see if panned movies are as bad as people think. I thought Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness was better than people said it was. Same thing with Justice League. But this one was even worse than The Marvels with the same idea---female only Heroes, diversity in the forefront, based on characters no one asked for or had a desire to see. On top of that the performances were awful. Why Johnson would be considered for a role like this is beyond me. She is worse than Brie Larson. Johnson phones this in. You can tell in her interviews she didn't even want to do it. This is bad across all the boards....writing, acting, directing, there is no redeemable parts. Total trash. They should have shelved this after what happened to The Marvels, knowing it was an even worse attempt at DEI paint by numbers garbage.

I rewatched this movie on Family Day because it was free on Amazon, and Miyazaki movies are not presently available on Amazon Prime.

My children are adolescents, my age when I first watched NIMH. I remember liking the attack by the rat guard and liking when the mice wandered around the rat lair.

On rewatching, I am reminded of the video game Dragon's Lair, and it turns out that Don Bluth animated Dragon's Lair and NIMH.

Bluth also used to work for Disney, and the Disney style is apparent.

I forgot that the NIMH rat leader had an underwater layer, like Bond villain Stromberg (I am also rewatching all the Bond movies right now with my wife), only all quaint and homey-looking, with access by a lantern elevator.
nimh.jpg

I wouldn't put this movie up with the all time greats, but it is a great family movie, although maybe not for really young children, because the rats have sword fights to the death, and there is blood. Also, I didn't know about the lead voice actor, sad story; many of the voice actors died within a decade of NIMH release.

really good movie. Bluth was legit. I was going to make a point that his films seemed to have more intensity than the corresponding Disney animated films of that era, but I’m not even sure now that I think about it. A lot of those underrated Disney films of the 80s had quite a bit of grit and intensity to them- The Fox and the Hound’s awesome climactic scene for instance. The Great Mouse Detective with Vincent Price’s character going full rat at the end, The Black Cauldron with John Hurt’s intimidating heel and the violence once the cauldron born come into play.

But the Bluth films, in addition to being intense for family films, were also not known to shy away from sad realities of life, whether the protagonist losing his mother in The Land Before Time or pretty much the entire depressing narrative An American Tail.

Past Lives

-

This one is interesting. Despite it's relatively short length I might describe it as a slow burn in that, i can see some people watching this and bowing out halfway through. Still, i would describe it as one that is engaging enough throughout despite feeling pretty mundane through certain parts. Mostly, it is the will they/wont they/how will this love triangle turn out that is enough of a hook.

Overall, It takes a fairly simple premise and theme and does the best it can with them. And by the end I think it creates enough emotional depth and impact. Despite that, I'm not sure what the replay value of this might be. Because like I said, the impactful destination overshadows the journey a bit.

7.2/10 range but could move up.

Past Lives

-
Despite that, I'm not sure what the replay value of this might be. Because like I said, the impactful destination overshadows the journey a bit.
for me, i found the moment they first see each other when Hae is visiting, all the way through to the credits, to be one hell of an emotional journey. i went from smiling like a goofy idiot to crying like a toddler who stubbed his toe after missing nap time. that emotional inertia really stuck w/ me.

Il Conde Dracula by Jess Franco

I have such a love / hate relationship with that film. I like everything about it, but it's boring as shit. Really painfully boring.

But it has my favorite depiction of Renfield in any movie, with Klaus Kinski playing the role. The only one who comes close is Alexander Granach as Knock in Nosferatu.

5ba945a2a5adaf9bc2c88daaf75a8b5734b94448.gif

for me, i found the moment they first see each other when Hae is visiting, all the way through to the credits, to be one hell of an emotional journey. i went from smiling like a goofy idiot to crying like a toddler who stubbed his toe after missing nap time. that emotional inertia really stuck w/ me.

I am with you. The entire film hit hard emotionally for me. I loved it. One of my favourites of 2023.

THE CHAMBER (1996)

From the 1990s wave of John Grisham law novel adaptations, this one follows Robin trying to get his grandfather Lex Luthor out of an appointment with the gas chamber for some racist killings years earlier. The Grisham books made for good movies almost across the board. This one is pretty decent though rather simple plotwise. Faye Dunaway is good as Chris O'Donnell's aunt and in some strange casting, Bo Jackson isn't bad at all as the main prison guard on death row. Not sure what inspired them to give that a whirl but he does pretty well for an athlete with little acting background. Doesn't hurt the movie.

6.5 / 10.

Last edited:
Back