Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Have you watched Polytechnique?

I am curious since it sounds like you live in Montreal and therefore probably feel closer to the tragedy.

I've wrestled with the idea for years, never been able to do it. It's not just that it's Montréal, it's a mass shooting in Montréal. I've seen what that's like for real and it's not something I think I can revisit. Especially not that one which was so much worse. SO much worse.

I buried those memories deep and it's best they stay there.

Brother (Japan/USA, 2000)

Takeshi Kitano gangster film that takes place mostly in Los Angeles.

Yamamoto (Kitano), often referred to as "Aniki" (Elder Brother), is a violent yakuza enforcer in Tokyo. His clan loses a war with another yakuza family and Yamamoto flees to LA to find his estranged half-brother, Kato.

Kato is a small time drug dealer but Yamamoto's criminal experience and penchant for brutality quickly molds Kato's group into a dangerous and growing gang. Yamamoto becomes particularly close with one member of the gang, Denny (Omar Epps).

The gang's violent tactics and expansionary strategy puts them on a collision course with rival criminal organizations. Violence ensues.

The film has all the hallmarks of a Kitano film; violent men wearing boxy suits (seriously, some of those suits must have been purchased by the yard) do violent things. The film is shot in quintessential Takeshi style with lots of lingering static camera work.

The American location is unusual for Kitano and he plays up the language barrier and general foreignness of Yamamoto.

I usually find Kitano films a bit confusing due to his jarring editing style, particularly for violent scenes. Brother struggles with narrative coherence, although the overall story is straightforward. Some of the acting is pretty bad and a few of the violent scenes come across as campy.

Great ending.

One of the weaker Takeshi films that I have seen but definitely more than watchable if you are a fan.

Rating: 6.5/10

I've wrestled with the idea for years, never been able to do it. It's not just that it's Montréal, it's a mass shooting in Montréal. I've seen what that's like for real and it's not something I think I can revisit. Especially not that one which was so much worse. SO much worse.

I buried those memories deep and it's best they stay there.

I don't blame you. I found it a difficult film to watch.

Youngblood

-

Trying to decide if this is the Rocky of hockey movies or the karate kid of hockey movies. Or maybe Bloodsport is the Youngblood of karate movies.

Whichever one, this was formulaic in the best kind of way. I genuinely was rooting for Lowe and he did a good job in the role. Swayze was also really good as was the rest. I really liked Jim Youngs as the brother. Also French Keanu.

Solid 7

Glad you enjoyed it. I actually found it to be kind of like the Top Gun of hockey...similar story beats and archetypes the whole way through.

Glad you enjoyed it. I actually found it to be kind of like the Top Gun of hockey...similar story beats and archetypes the whole way through.

Yeah I can see it with the talented guy coming in and being picked on to an extent but then by the end they all become bros and form a team. Then you have Ed Lauter in the Tom Skerritt type of role.

BEFORE SUNSET (2004)

Sequel made nine years after Before Sunrise, which left some things quite open for the future and here you find out what happened. Another smartly written and executed movie, all dialogue, and it depends entirely on Hawke and Delpy to deliver it well, which they do. Low key one of the good sequels that probably doesn't come up very often when we're all talking about Aliens and T2 and Terry Silver.

7.2 / 10.

BEFORE SUNSET (2004)

Sequel made nine years after Before Sunrise, which left some things quite open for the future and here you find out what happened. Another smartly written and executed movie, all dialogue, and it depends entirely on Hawke and Delpy to deliver it well, which they do. Low key one of the good sequels that probably doesn't come up very often when we're all talking about Aliens and T2 and Terry Silver.

7.2 / 10.

I enjoyed the entire trilogy but I only ever return to the first one, not even sure why.

I suspect I prefer the possibilities left to imagination. The ending of the first is sad for me for the same reason those last scenes from Kicking and Screaming crushed me like a bug. Those two sentences back to back feel nihilistic, but what are you going to do.

BEFORE SUNSET (2004)

7.2 / 10.

I suddenly clicked what movies you are talking about. I know there is a 3rd one too that was well received. They've all been on my list ever since watching Tape.

I Robot

-

I always liked this movie but I haven't seen it in a while. I always refer to it as a good film but I had to revisit it to make sure.

It still holds pretty well. If you look up 2000s popcorn scifi films this one has to be in one of the photos in one of the dictionaries. It really delivers in the realm of which it exists.

It also still feels relevant from a theme standpoint, dealing with robot consciousness (a lot better than The Creator, I'll add) and the fear of AI. To be fair though, those themes have been explored well before I robot, let alone movies today where it is starting to feel like a fad. But I guess the difference today is that those things feel closer to reality. Sorry for that tangent.

I think what this film reminded me of most of all is how good Will Smith was in these kind of movies. Between this, men in black, hancock, enemy of the state, etc. He definitely was the go to guy to carry these type of films for a reason, because he did it very well. He carrys this film well from the action adventure standpoint, but he also delivers a very good scene from a dramatic acting standpoint.

It does have its issues, for me it really made Bridget Moynahan's character start to feel comically dumb as she constantly defends robots being perfectly safe yet suspicious things are happening all around her.

Overall, it's a fun movie that delivers in the popcorn genre, but is still smart enough to not feel brainless. This is another one I'd put in the category of films they can't seem to make anymore.

7.5/10 range

I Robot

-

I always liked this movie but I haven't seen it in a while. I always refer to it as a good film but I had to revisit it to make sure.

It still holds pretty well. If you look up 2000s popcorn scifi films this one has to be in one of the photos in one of the dictionaries. It really delivers in the realm of which it exists.

It also still feels relevant from a theme standpoint, dealing with robot consciousness (a lot better than The Creator, I'll add) and the fear of AI. To be fair though, those themes have been explored well before I robot, let alone movies today where it is starting to feel like a fad. But I guess the difference today is that those things feel closer to reality. Sorry for that tangent.

I think what this film reminded me of most of all is how good Will Smith was in these kind of movies. Between this, men in black, hancock, enemy of the state, etc. He definitely was the go to guy to carry these type of films for a reason, because he did it very well. He carrys this film well from the action adventure standpoint, but he also delivers a very good scene from a dramatic acting standpoint.

It does have its issues, for me it really made Bridget Moynahan's character start to feel comically dumb as she constantly defends robots being perfectly safe yet suspicious things are happening all around her.

Overall, it's a fun movie that delivers in the popcorn genre, but is still smart enough to not feel brainless. This is another one I'd put in the category of films they can't seem to make anymore.

7.5/10 range

Smith was sort of killing it in that era. I think that both this film and I Am Legend, regardless of how one felt about the films, showcased his commitment as an actor. Those were not necessarily roles that required that type of commitment but his investment of a lot into them made those movies better than they probably otherwise would have been. I think I, Robot is quite entertaining. Alan Tudyk is an awesome actor, too, and excels with voice acting parts like that one.

Smith was sort of killing it in that era. I think that both this film and I Am Legend, regardless of how one felt about the films, showcased his commitment as an actor. Those were not necessarily roles that required that type of commitment but his investment of a lot into them made those movies better than they probably otherwise would have been. I think I, Robot is quite entertaining. Alan Tudyk is an awesome actor, too, and excels with voice acting parts like that one.

Tudyk also played my favorite movie pirate of all time in dodgeball.

And yeah, I consider Smith as one of the guys along with Cruise who always puts 100% into a role regardless of whether it calls for it or not.

Yeah I Am Legend was just decent but Will Smith was great in it. Really liked him in Hancock as well...I probably have it as one of the most underrated movies of that decade.

I Robot

-

7.5/10 range

I, Robot will always hold a bit of a special place for me as one of the last three movies I saw at the theatre together just me and my Dad, the other two being War of the Worlds and Peter Jackson’s King Kong a year later. Ten years after those I saw SPECTRE with him and my oldest brother. As I recall I think I, Robot was probably the film my Dad enjoyed the most out of those four.

I, Robot will always hold a bit of a special place for me as one of the last three movies I saw at the theatre together just me and my Dad, the other two being War of the Worlds and Peter Jackson’s King Kong a year later. Ten years after those I saw SPECTRE with him and my oldest brother. As I recall I think I, Robot was probably the film my Dad enjoyed the most out of those four.

Out of those four, I have to agree with your dad. I'll take I robot.

war of the worlds is good and king kong is solid though. I think. Might have to rewatch king kong again.

Spectre is a movie.

Have you seen Resident Alien? I love Tudyk.

Too Big to Fail

8.5/10

I've watched Margin Call and The Big Short several times each. If someone had asked me what I'd consider the third movie to make a trilogy, I'd probably have guessed Moneyball just for flavor.

I'd completely forgotten about Too Big to Fail, which I saw when it came out and somehow forgot about.

Someone reminded me yesterday and I vaguely remembered it, so I watched it again today. My brain must have slipped a gear to let me forget this gem, it was fantastic and while not as entertaining as MC and TBS, it's every bit as electric.

Not sure how Tony Shalhoub failed to make top cast.

YBTF%20Cast.jpg

It's all dialogue and dramatic tension, and it's fantastic. The ending is crushing, of course, and I can't believe what we allow banks to get away with.

kEIgYVF7mCh4CSTwBkM6TrHaeen.jpg

Tudyk also played my favorite movie pirate of all time in dodgeball.

And yeah, I consider Smith as one of the guys along with Cruise who always puts 100% into a role regardless of whether it calls for it or not.

“First of all, he’s more of a pirate than you’ll ever be.”

Tudyk is damn funny in that movie. Doing the pirate schtick through the entire film until Vaughan gives him a harsh reality check (in one of funniest brief moments in the film). Then when he shows up at the tail-end clean cut, wearing a Lacoste shirt, the visual contrast was funny in its own right.
Have you seen Resident Alien? I love Tudyk.

not yet. But I’ve heard many good things. Yeah, he’s had a hell of a career.

“First of all, he’s more of a pirate than you’ll ever be.”

Tudyk is damn funny in that movie. Doing the pirate schtick through the entire film until Vaughan gives him a harsh reality check (in one of funniest brief moments in the film). Then when he shows up at the tail-end clean cut, wearing a Lacoste shirt, the visual contrast was funny in its own right.

not yet. But I’ve heard many good things. Yeah, he’s had a hell of a career.

Lol. Then the happy ending for his character arc is that he realizes he is truly a pirate because of the treasure chest winnings.No in depth breakdown of why he was a pirate in the first place. Boom hes a pirate again. That's all you need from his character. Hes a pirate, it's that simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back