Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Yeah I can see it with the talented guy coming in and being picked on to an extent but then by the end they all become bros and form a team. Then you have Ed Lauter in the Tom Skerritt type of role.

The Dad Eric Nesterenko was an old real life NHL legend. Coach Mad Dog might be my favorite Ed Lauter role in a career full of underappreciated performances. Probably that or The Longest Yard. He had a scene in the final release of Leaving Las Vegas where he was just a guy walking down the hall...must have had some lines that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Spaceman (2024)

7/10

I enjoyed the movie although I think they could have ended it differently
with adam sandlers character dying in space
. I think that would have left a more powerful message on what the themes of this film were about which is living our life in the present and caring for our loved ones and not being selfish. Sandler eventually makes that realization through the help of an alien spider from another part of the universe who takes an interest in this "skinny human". The movie has a very slow dreamlike pace to it. After I finished watching it I was surprised to see that the reviews are not very favorable.

Spaceman (2024)

7/10

I enjoyed the movie although I think they could have ended it differently
with adam sandlers character dying in space
. I think that would have left a more powerful message on what the themes of this film were about which is living our life in the present and caring for our loved ones and not being selfish. Sandler eventually makes that realization through the help of an alien spider from another part of the universe who takes an interest in this "skinny human". The movie has a very slow dreamlike pace to it. After I finished watching it I was surprised to see that the reviews are not very favorable.

Yeah I agree. I think it is a lot better than critics are giving it credit for.

Polytechnique

?/10

Denis Villeneuve's telling of the Polytechnique massacre.

I have no idea how to rate this film. It feels like a masterpiece but it's guaranteed to ruin your day.

Villeneuve knows how to tell a story and the smallest details are absolute perfection.

Early in the film he lingers on a girl carefully getting into pantyhose in preparation for an interview for a stage (internship), and later she's shot and the camera lingers on her legs. You're immediately brought back to that first scene and she's a real person, not just a victim.

It was interesting seeing Sébastien Huberdeau, I don't watch many québecois films and only knew him from Les Hiques (Letterkenny). "I should have stayed" wrecked me. He was fantastic, and his last scenes were brutal.

The first sixty seconds of the film took me completely by surprise and had me on edge until the end.

I'm sure if I watched it again I'd notice a hell of a lot more, but that's never going to happen.

63e8905f7a6bf.image.jpg

Polytechnique

?/10

Denis Villeneuve's telling of the Polytechnique massacre.

I have no idea how to rate this film. It feels like a masterpiece but it's guaranteed to ruin your day.

Villeneuve knows how to tell a story and the smallest details are absolute perfection.

Early in the film he lingers on a girl carefully getting into pantyhose in preparation for an interview for a stage (internship), and later she's shot and the camera lingers on her legs. You're immediately brought back to that first scene and she's a real person, not just a victim.

It was interesting seeing Sébastien Huberdeau, I don't watch many québecois films and only knew him from Les Hiques (Letterkenny). "I should have stayed" wrecked me. He was fantastic, and his last scenes were brutal.

The first sixty seconds of the film took me completely by surprise and had me on edge until the end.

I'm sure if I watched it again I'd notice a hell of a lot more, but that's never going to happen.

63e8905f7a6bf.image.jpg

Yeah it was quite a good movie and it's an achievement by Villeneuve that it feels kind of difficult to rate...like he turned it into such a documentary of the event that you would feel like you might be disrespecting the victims, which isn't something I really feel in other movies about real life tragedies and horrors. It's easier to just rate those projects on their moviemaking merits. Nobody had any qualms about trashing that 9/11 movie with Charlie Sheen and Whoopi Goldberg.

The nonlinear editing choices worked really well. Focusing on the male character who wasn't the shooter was also quite effective. The movie was pretty short so there was probably time to develop the characters of more victims but not doing so really made it feel like the movie was sticking to what they know was true from accounts after the fact.

Just for the sake of the thread I'll say there's no way it was lower than high 7's / 10 and perhaps well above that.

Last edited:
they/them

i like the caricature but the serious parts are pretty fucking gay

Yeah it was quite a good movie and it's an achievement by Villeneuve that it feels kind of difficult to rate...like he turned it into such a documentary of the event that you would feel like you might be disrespecting the victims, which isn't something I really feel in other movies about real life tragedies and horrors. It's easier to rate the project on its moviemaking merits. And nobody had any qualms about trashing that 9/11 movie with Charlie Sheen and Whoopi Goldberg.

The nonlinear editing choices worked really well. Focusing on the male character who wasn't the shooter was also quite effective. The movie was quite short so there was probably time to develop the characters of more victims but not doing so really made it feel like the movie was sticking to what they know was true from accounts after the fact.

Just for the sake of the thread I'll say there's no way it was lower than high 7's / 10 and perhaps well above that.

Based on how it made me feel I wanted to give it a 9/10, but I'm Montréal born and raised. I was in college when this happened. My girlfriend at the time was studying for her Masters in metallurgical engineering (McGill) and her advisors all told her she was wasting her time because a woman would never get hired in that field... And they were right. I mention this because this was exact situation one of the main characters was in, almost to the calendar year my girlfriend was.

The film was full of Montréal shots that are ten minutes from my place.

Hearing Sisters of Mercy playing in the school brought me right back to those years.

The French was pitch perfect Québec French and the subtitles were laughably wrong for English audiences who wouldn't get the vernacular.

I have too many personal connections here to give a fair rating. That said there are some incredibly stupid bad reviews out there, like unfavorably comparing this to Halloween.

Bicentennial man (1999)
-
Another one I've been meaning to revisit for a while. Another robot scifi film dealing with robot consciousness.

I guess it isnt bad. In fact it is pretty decent. My main issue with the movie is that it starts to really jump the shark at one point when it comes to the modifications William's gets to be more human. Oliver Platt's character, though a good performance, is used as a plot device to allow this to continue.

The film also ends up trying to make some sort of metaphor statement about who is considered human and who isnt that ends up falling kinda flat in regards to the law recognizing him.

Overall it has some charm but gets a bit too goofy for what it is and doesnt make all the time jumps work in its favor. Still, really not bad.

6.2/10 range

Yeah it was quite a good movie and it's an achievement by Villeneuve that it feels kind of difficult to rate...like he turned it into such a documentary of the event that you would feel like you might be disrespecting the victims, which isn't something I really feel in other movies about real life tragedies and horrors. It's easier to just rate those projects on their moviemaking merits. Nobody had any qualms about trashing that 9/11 movie with Charlie Sheen and Whoopi Goldberg.

The nonlinear editing choices worked really well. Focusing on the male character who wasn't the shooter was also quite effective. The movie was pretty short so there was probably time to develop the characters of more victims but not doing so really made it feel like the movie was sticking to what they know was true from accounts after the fact.

the bolded part is how I feel too. it is a testament to the power of the film

Poor Things (UK/USA, 2023)

Surreal black comedy - drama directed by Yorgos Lanthimos and starring Emma Stone, Mark Ruffalo, Willem Dafoe, and a few other people who you will recognize.

Plot Summary: Super horny female Frankenstein goes on journey of self discovery. Fucks a lot of guys in the process.

Lanthimos always makes interesting films and this one is no exception. The production and costume design is incredible. The entire film feels like a surreal picture book brought to life. Stone is completely dedicated to her role. Ruffalo is consistently hilarious as a cad turned into a pathetic spurned lover.

This should be a polarizing film, and it probably is, but it never really landed one way or the other for me. I liked it a lot. I did not love it. I am glad that something so original got made.

Rating: 7/10

Code 8 Part 2: 6.5/10
This is an ok Sci fi. Maybe B tier, not great but worth a watch if you like the genre. Everything about it is just OK. It is like Canadian television shows. Sometimes they are ok, but never great.

Code 8 Part 2: 6.5/10
This is an ok Sci fi. Maybe B tier, not great but worth a watch if you like the genre. Everything about it is just OK. It is like Canadian television shows. Sometimes they are ok, but never great.

Do you consider any of the shows filmed in Canada like Stargate Canadian?

How about Travelers?

body of lies (2008)
very good

Bicentennial man (1999)
-
Another one I've been meaning to revisit for a while. Another robot scifi film dealing with robot consciousness.

I guess it isnt bad. In fact it is pretty decent. My main issue with the movie is that it starts to really jump the shark at one point when it comes to the modifications William's gets to be more human. Oliver Platt's character, though a good performance, is used as a plot device to allow this to continue.

The film also ends up trying to make some sort of metaphor statement about who is considered human and who isnt that ends up falling kinda flat in regards to the law recognizing him.

Overall it has some charm but gets a bit too goofy for what it is and doesnt make all the time jumps work in its favor. Still, really not bad.

6.2/10 range

I liked this one quite a bit...might consider it Williams' most underappreciated movie.

Oppenheimer
9/10

cant find flaws in this film. Star studded cast, fast paced. I had this weird feeling of being so impressed with oppenheimers brilliance as well as that of the characters around him that it made me feel smart lol. Its a movie I feel I will have to watch a second time because there is so much quick dialogue and every scene feels important with so many characters being introduced that its easy to feel like I missed stuff.

If I had one critique it would be that I felt there was a slight drop in my personal emotional investment during the last third of the movie. At that point, the bomb had been dropped and it transitions into a kind of trial which felt a little like a drop off in the story arc since now it just becomes about whether or not he would be found innocent of being a russian asset. But they balance this final act with some awesome scenes of his internal conflict about his role in his creations and the final scene is a close up of cillian murphys eyes while he envisions the world burning which really hammers home the film

Back