Realistic knife defence against resistance. Combat sports based.

But would you go to the face 100% with a wooden one on a regular basis? The most common stabs in terror attacks in Israel are stabs with Ice pick grip to the head area. That's why I even wore a helmet- to protect my eyes. I agree with you that on the one hand the defender is less afraid of the rubber knife, but on the other hand, the attacker, especially if the defender is using a helmet, is not afraid of going 100% for real to the head time after time during training. That way it's more realistic from the point of view of training the real full power dynamics.

But, I agree with you that such wooden knives make it more realistic from some other aspects. Thanks to you and your messages- When I'll have time, I hope during the summer, when I'll make some more realistic footage, I'll use the wooden knife as well. Plus, you talked about a metal one, I'll check this one as well, maybe I'll show some rounds with it but just to the body. I'll try to put some money aside (A student >< That's why I don't want to make an entire video of realistic footage until the summer vacation against people who are stronger than me. In the summer I'll have time to recover if shit happens) and get the shock (electric) one as well. Each of them will give a little bit different perspective, which I guess is important because we can't use real knives.

Your messages are very very useful! Thanks.

I like what you are doing, comrade, keep it up and running. With the exception of several army and law enforcements courses I saw you did the most realistic one. Not sure about the value of marketing it for the civilians worldwide, tho. In most countries knife attacks are a rare cases, and people are more interested in entertainment/relaxation parts of SD courses like Krav Maga or Systema propose, not the reality-based self-defence.
On the side note, I’d recommend you to start with the teaching your students the knife fighting first, instead of the defence part from the beginning. So, they will understand how they can be attacked first-hand, by their own experience (trajectories, intensity and types of strikes, angles etc), before learning the actual defence.

Some seminars I want to share:

Knife/streetfighting for weightlifters

Streetfighting for weightlifters

Well, there for sparrings and real life I suggest also to bear in mind . . . okey rare and still possible scenarios.

1. Real aim why an opponent had took in hand knife.
If you threated him with knife and in his hand appeard knife... then ... most likely it might turn into something like real duel.
2. If these kinds of scenarios from my exp....
1 st variant:
Showed knife.
There might happen variant that an opponent will pull back hand like he will now stab you and using this monent to punch you with other hand.
I did this with ppl in real life.
For a reason.

First time I did this cos one guy ( he wasn't bad guy ) was obssesed with these super death secret arts, otherwise was normal.
We were young and dumb.
He pressed me to took in hand real knife and attempt to attack him if I have balls. Cos he 100% will win ....
He appeared on the floor cos punch while watched hand with knife. KD not KO.
Later I get that this it tip trick usable in real life.

Like with unarmed SD...
Usually of course ppl are starting attacking an opponent with punch or kick.
While might be situations where an opponent will create situation when he will be able to establish grip and start attack with grappling / wrestling etc technique.

Ofc usually it is in situations when ppl are 1 vs 1 and in specific situations for obivious reasons.

Btw due to different situations might happen in real life, to teach more or lesser realistic self defense IMHO is nightmare and difficult task.
Situation awarness and evaluation, to predict possible actions etc.

Love your video. I haven't finished the whole thing, but I will.

I did knife / stick fencing for years and still mess around with it. We'd watch videos like yours and do a lot of sparring with BJJ / kickboxing rules and weapons.

My takeaway from all that time is that there are basically three kinds of opponents:

Untrained, Athletes, and Fencers

Untrained people with a knife are basically ineffective and I can just run backward from the jabbing.

Athletes are dangerous for just the same reason you showed. I'm not a champion at grappling. I'm like a middling no gi gym warrior, and I find controlling a knife arm of even an untrained athlete completely impossible. My highest percentage move for beating them sparring is the same as the one above: run backwards while throwing straight punches until their personality changes.

Against fencers, if they are bad, sometimes you can do a fencing trick and they'll respond to it because they are basically trained to give up when you do a trick. But if they are athletic and good, there is very little you can do without a weapon other than use power punching to try to knock them out really fast, which is always the best technique for anyone who is 100% outclassed. Again, impossible to grab their hand.

I suspect that you, as a grappling champion, may have access to techniques that most people do not have access to. I don't know what it is like to be you. However, for me, after years of kali and bjj, and kick boxing, and being big, and having big hands, and an average deadlift, I do not find it possible to control the knife arm of someone much smaller than me if they have any athletic attributes or training.

I think maybe all the fencing stuff I did gives me a greater than normal ability to back up and jab from a knife because it isn't mysterious to me. I can read people with sticks and knives pretty well, so I can throw jab against it. That might be hard for someone who hasn't fenced because they won't know how someone does it. You also have to be able to throw pretty hard punches while backing up like karate people do.

Edit: tl;dr: if someone told me that they are afraid of being attacked with a knife and wanted to learn to defend against it, I would add sabre sparring to their regular MMA routine, and then move up to mismatched weapon sparring later. It's actually fun and it is possible to get better at it. But I wouldn't attach a prescription for best moves. I'd just let them do their MMA stuff, but if the gym teaches people how to walk backward while hitting, I think they will find that's the best move.

If you turn around and someone is already knifing you, it is too late to grab the knife hand because if you miss once or twice, they will keep stabbing. The better move is to just acknowledge their stationary, unguarded face, and knock them the fuck out.

Last edited:
Love your video. I haven't finished the whole thing, but I will.

I did knife / stick fencing for years and still mess around with it. We'd watch videos like yours and do a lot of sparring with BJJ / kickboxing rules and weapons.

My takeaway from all that time is that there are basically three kinds of opponents:

Untrained, Athletes, and Fencers

Untrained people with a knife are basically ineffective and I can just run backward from the jabbing.

Athletes are dangerous for just the same reason you showed. I'm not a champion at grappling. I'm like a middling no gi gym warrior, and I find controlling a knife arm of even an untrained athlete completely impossible. My highest percentage move for beating them sparring is the same as the one above: run backwards while throwing straight punches until their personality changes.

Against fencers, if they are bad, sometimes you can do a fencing trick and they'll respond to it because they are basically trained to give up when you do a trick. But if they are athletic and good, there is very little you can do without a weapon other than use power punching to try to knock them out really fast, which is always the best technique for anyone who is 100% outclassed. Again, impossible to grab their hand.

I suspect that you, as a grappling champion, may have access to techniques that most people do not have access to. I don't know what it is like to be you. However, for me, after years of kali and bjj, and kick boxing, and being big, and having big hands, and an average deadlift, I do not find it possible to control the knife arm of someone much smaller than me if they have any athletic attributes or training.

I think maybe all the fencing stuff I did gives me a greater than normal ability to back up and jab from a knife because it isn't mysterious to me. I can read people with sticks and knives pretty well, so I can throw jab against it. That might be hard for someone who hasn't fenced because they won't know how someone does it. You also have to be able to throw pretty hard punches while backing up like karate people do.

Edit: tl;dr: if someone told me that they are afraid of being attacked with a knife and wanted to learn to defend against it, I would add sabre sparring to their regular MMA routine, and then move up to mismatched weapon sparring later. It's actually fun and it is possible to get better at it. But I wouldn't attach a prescription for best moves. I'd just let them do their MMA stuff, but if the gym teaches people how to walk backward while hitting, I think they will find that's the best move.

If you turn around and someone is already knifing you, it is too late to grab the knife hand because if you miss once or twice, they will keep stabbing. The better move is to just acknowledge their stationary, unguarded face, and knock them the fuck out.

Hey! if you are good at striking, you can try to kick the knife out of the hand by kicking the hand/ forearm. If you have flexibility, strong kicks and dexterity it's a pretty good option to try. Another one is to push kick him, hopefully to the ground and to dash and soccer kick his head (If you can't run away because if for example it's a terror attack and there are kids around).

Hey! if you are good at striking, you can try to kick the knife out of the hand by kicking the hand/ forearm. If you have flexibility, strong kicks and dexterity it's a pretty good option to try. Another one is to push kick him, hopefully to the ground and to dash and soccer kick his head (If you can't run away because if for example it's a terror attack and there are kids around).

I think that snap front kicks to the balls while running backwards are better than punches, don't you think so?

Yeah, i used to train with a pro fighter who had a knife pulled on him while bouncing (on a night other people from our class were with him). Evidently he pushed kicked the guy into the wall. The back of the knifers head hit, and he dropped the knife. Then, the bouncer just pieced him up.

IMHO if kicks are used as self defense vs knife attack not mandatory is to kick his hand with knife.

You might kick leg, hips area, to do foot sweep, to kick his core or head, bladder etc..

In some areas kicks done with tip of shoe or basis of shoe or side of shoe are nasty stuff.

Or side kick like yoko geri in core / chest.

Deoends from distance and what he will do.

Cos this too is to outsmart opponent.
Ppl with knife in hand usually assume, that if you will resist, you will mandatory go for his hand with knife.

If someone is threating you with knife IMHO it is important to learn how to determine opponent's experience and skills level before he started to move.

I maybe will post some from most common signs how to determine these things....

Verbal aspect.
The lesser he will talk the more dangerous he might be.
If guy doesn't tell anything: start to worry.

Evalue how he is holding knife in hand.

Stance.
Is he standing in full height or lowered his height cos ...
Also ofc there is possible a bit to read is he excepting your defense attempts just from hand with knife or..... maybe he think that you might do...something else too.

There ofc are also other nuances.

Yeah, i used to train with a pro fighter who had a knife pulled on him while bouncing (on a night other people from our class were with him). Evidently he pushed kicked the guy into the wall. The back of the knifers head hit, and he dropped the knife. Then, the bouncer just pieced him up.

Hey! Is there a chance that there is a footage of it somewhere? Thanks.

For an average combat sports hobbyist I’d stay as far away from the kicking your armed opponent as possible. Humans are not very fast and stable even on two legs and staying on just one while kicking the guy armed with the knife is not a very healthy idea.
Also, two arms grip on the opponents knife hand is a mandatory. Do not keep the illusion you’ll be OK with only one arm. Even the skinniest of dudes will make you pay for that mistake. Prepare to be peppered with strikes by his free hand, elbow, headbutts, knees, ground grappling. But your main goal stays the same - disarm him no matter what, ignoring the pain and the injuries.

For an average combat sports hobbyist I’d stay as far away from the kicking your armed opponent as possible. Humans are not very fast and stable even on two legs and staying on just one while kicking the guy armed with the knife is not a very healthy idea.
Also, two arms grip on the opponents knife hand is a mandatory. Do not keep the illusion you’ll be OK with only one arm. Even the skinniest of dudes will make you pay for that mistake. Prepare to be peppered with strikes by his free hand, elbow, headbutts, knees, ground grappling. But your main goal stays the same - disarm him no matter what, ignoring the pain and the injuries.
the first time we drilled 2 on one knife control my training partner deftly passed the knife to his other hand and stabbed the shit out of me, lol

the first time we drilled 2 on one knife control my training partner deftly passed the knife to his other hand and stabbed the shit out of me, lol

Hey! I show 2 possible solutions for this in the video at 6:00. taking his back is at 31:31 (as written in the subtitles at the 6:00 part).

Another possible technique from the back can be seen at 33:18.

Plus, I don't think that switching hands is very easy for the attacker. In addition, I don't think that the average adrenaline fueled terrorist or that the average serious attacker bent on killing you will think about it immediately during the attack, during that time you have a chance to apply your techniques.

If you are against a skilled cold blooded killer it's almost sure you are doomed anyway.

Last edited:
Hey! I show 2 possible solutions for this in the video at 6:00. taking his back is at 31:31 (as written in the subtitles at the 6:00 part).

Another possible technique from the back can be seen at 33:18.

Plus, I don't think that switching hands is very easy for the attacker. In addition, I don't think that the average adrenaline fueled terrorist or that the average serious attacker bent on killing you will think about it immediately during the attack, during that time you have a chance to apply your techniques.

If you are against a skilled cold blooded killer it's almost sure you are doomed anyway.
these are all excellent points. My buddies are high level jiu jitsu guys and after they figured out this trick and stabbed the hell out of me we all started focusing on body positioning and control options to negate it. It just caught me well off guard

these are all excellent points. My buddies are high level jiu jitsu guys and after they figured out this trick and stabbed the hell out of me we all started focusing on body positioning and control options to negate it. It just caught me well off guard

By the way, I tried to find footage where the attacker switch the knife from hand to hand to add to the video, but couldn't find any. I think that it's a combination of two factors- under adrenaline people don't think about switching+The average person has no real skills against a knife, even to get a small chance against a knife, so the vast majority of the attackers don't even need to switch the knife from hand to hand. If somebody here has seen anything like that: please share.

Last edited:
By the way, I tried to find footage where the attacker switch the knife from hand to hand to add to the video, but couldn't find any. I think that it's a combination of two factors- under adrenaline people don't think about switching+The average person has no real skills against knife, even to get a small chance against a knife, so the vast majority of the attackers don't even need to switch the knife from hand to hand. If somebody here has seen anything like that: please share.

Never saw such a thing in IRL footages. Most attacks were just “stab, stab, stab” from the concealed or open carry, or a “fencing” type, with a lot of movements/usage of environment on both sides. Too risky for an attacker to drop the knife while switching.

Yeah I'm not a fan of potentially compromising my base in a life/death situation like that; Plus having the chance to get your femoral artery cut is not going to do you any favors.

I think these tricks can work because you are practicing with training partners, so the mood is still pretty positive. Same concept with sparring to going into your first fight.

I've noticed when weapons of any kind (or objects) come into the equation , everyone fixates on it; Even moreso for those without as much hours dealing with those situations with adrenaline and everything else mixed in. What @KnifeDefenceIsrael says here seems accurate "Plus, I don't think that switching hands is very easy for the attacker. In addition, I don't think that the average adrenaline fueled terrorist or that the average serious attacker bent on killing you will think about it immediately during the attack, during that time you have a chance to apply your techniques."

Yeah I'm not a fan of potentially compromising my base in a life/death situation like that; Plus having the chance to get your femoral artery cut is not going to

Imho it depends.

From his stance and actions etc.

Yeah I'm not a fan of potentially compromising my base in a life/death situation like that; Plus having the chance to get your femoral artery cut is not going to do you any favors.

I think these tricks can work because you are practicing with training partners, so the mood is still pretty positive. Same concept with sparring to going into your first fight.

I've noticed when weapons of any kind (or objects) come into the equation , everyone fixates on it; Even moreso for those without as much hours dealing with those situations with adrenaline and everything else mixed in. What @KnifeDefenceIsrael says here seems accurate "Plus, I don't think that switching hands is very easy for the attacker. In addition, I don't think that the average adrenaline fueled terrorist or that the average serious attacker bent on killing you will think about it immediately during the attack, during that time you have a chance to apply your techniques."
agree. We took to knife training the with the same fun and almost silly energy we took to the rest of our sessions. Not too serious which allowed for stuff like this to occur.

I’ve seen an exception to this energy once
With a gun simulation. Two grapplers, one training gun tossed between them. The energy in the room was much, much more serious

Back