Recommend a folding knife

So I've ruled out the Emerson (wave or otherwise) and the Spyderco knives.

I'm deciding between the SOG described earlier, Chris Reeve, and a couple of Benchmade's that I've found.

The problem I found is that the more you look at this the more there is to choose from. It becomes tedious after a point.

So I've ruled out the Emerson (wave or otherwise) and the Spyderco knives.

I'm deciding between the SOG described earlier, Chris Reeve, and a couple of Benchmade's that I've found.

The problem I found is that the more you look at this the more there is to choose from. It becomes tedious after a point.
It is a tedious process, but it's worthwhile when spending your hard earned money. There are a lot of considerations to make: blade steel, grind, blade shape, scale materials, weight, size, blade length, etc. At some point, you just gotta take the plunge.

I advise against getting a Chris Reeve knife for your first knife simply because if you don't like it, you're $200-$300 in the hole. I have a few knives but I've yet to ever spend that much on a single knife and even if I did, it would be a safe queen. If I was going to buy a knife that I used often, I sure as hell wouldn't want to spend $200+ and then just beat the shit out of it.

Define which characteristics you like most or you would find most useful, then think about how much you're really willing to pay for it.

It is a tedious process, but it's worthwhile when spending your hard earned money. There are a lot of considerations to make: blade steel, grind, blade shape, scale materials, weight, size, blade length, etc. At some point, you just gotta take the plunge.

I advise against getting a Chris Reeve knife for your first knife simply because if you don't like it, you're $200-$300 in the hole. I have a few knives but I've yet to ever spend that much on a single knife and even if I did, it would be a safe queen. If I was going to buy a knife that I used often, I sure as hell wouldn't want to spend $200+ and then just beat the shit out of it.

Define which characteristics you like most or you would find most useful, then think about how much you're really willing to pay for it.

So you think its a bit more prudent to spend $60-100 on and EDC/EDU? Also, what do you consider regular use? I mean, I don't intend to fish/hunt daily (or even weekly). Most of the time it'll just be on me for emergencies or random things I need.

I use my knife all the time for opening up packages, mail, boxes, cutting paracord (I generally keep around 50' on me or nearby), loose threads on clothing, etc. I also carry a multi-tool everywhere too. There are also days when I don't use my knife at all; either I don't have to use it, or it's (socially) inappropriate to do so, but since my knife weighs less than 4 oz. and has a strong pocket clip, carrying it doesn't become a chore.

I guess there's also the self defense thing; although it ranks rather low on my list of priorities. I'm not trained in how to use my knife for self defense, but there are times when it is a little comforting to have, especially since as a Canadian, I can't carry a gun everywhere with me.

Side question: Why the paracord? Why 50 ft? Do "higher quality" knives degrade from the use that you described?

Side question: Why the paracord? Why 50 ft? Do "higher quality" knives degrade from the use that you described?

In case I ever need to tie anything down and 50' is small enough to fit in my man-purse.

Higher quality knives can (again, you've got to take the attributes of the individual knife into consideration) and usually do all the same tasks, or more, but like I said, I don't want to beat up or risk losing an expensive knife. If I ever get into knife collecting and I buy a knife that expensive, I'll also end up buying a rosewood display box with a glass top, so the knife can just sit there and look pretty for the rest of its life.

In case I ever need to tie anything down and 50' is small enough to fit in my man-purse.

Higher quality knives can (again, you've got to take the attributes of the individual knife into consideration) and usually do all the same tasks, or more, but like I said, I don't want to beat up or risk losing an expensive knife. If I ever get into knife collecting and I buy a knife that expensive, I'll also end up buying a rosewood display box with a glass top, so the knife can just sit there and look pretty for the rest of its life.

Tie something up?? Like say a woman...? Guy not paying his wig to the loan shark...? J/K

What is your everyday carry?

I've broken a shoelace and replaced it with paracord, the last time I moved and my trunk was so full that the lid wouldn't close, I used paracord to secure it. I also have standard first aid/CPR/AED training and if I need to tie a splint to an injured limb and don't have enough triangle bandages, I can use paracord. I also use paracord for making lanyards. Emergency tents can be erected between two trees with paracord. There are a lot of things paracord can be used for.

I've broken a shoelace and replaced it with paracord, the last time I moved and my trunk was so full that the lid wouldn't close, I used paracord to secure it. I also have standard first aid/CPR/AED training and if I need to tie a splint to an injured limb and don't have enough triangle bandages, I can use paracord. I also use paracord for making lanyards. Emergency tents can be erected between two trees with paracord. There are a lot of things paracord can be used for.

Hmmm interesting.

Is there a specific brand you'd recommend? I've been thinking of putting together a "survival" pack for the fam and I'd imagine paracord would be useful.

I don't pay much attention to the brand, I don't really care as long as it's actually 550 paracord and not some mystery nylon rope. There are probably more knowledgeable people about the subject matter, but for me, paracord is paracord.

550 cord, Army Poncho, Poncho Liner and Duct Tape. Some of the best things made for the U.S. Army.

550 cord, Army Poncho, Poncho Liner and Duct Tape. Some of the best things made for the U.S. Army.

Awesome. Thank you.

I've always wondered: how much use do you get out of a partially serrated blade?

Awesome. Thank you.

I've always wondered: how much use do you get out of a partially serrated blade?

I actually hate combo edges or even fully serrated edges for my EDC blades. Again, YMMV, but there's nothing tough and leathery that I need to cut through during my day-to-day activities, but your situation may be different. Just realize that serrated edges are a pain-in-the-ass to sharpen.

Shit, so the assist spring on my SOG Aegis crapped out last night, I ended up taking it apart and removing the spring, thus voiding my warranty.

IMG_0118.jpg

I may send it in to SOG to be fixed, but either way, I'm probably going to end up giving the knife to my brother.

I picked up a Spyderco Endura 4 today as its replacement. I'm surprised at how quickly I've been able to warm up to a lock backs; I also realized that I can close the knife on handed.

IMG_0119.jpg

Currently I'm using a SOG and a Benchmade

The SOG Black Tini Trident TF-7
SOG-Trident-TF-7-600x508.jpg

The Benchmade 8600 Bedlam
8600.jpg

Pictures are from the internet but both these knives are fantastic. SOG and Benchmade both have incredibly crafted products and buying from either is a good idea.

I didn't want to make my own thread to ask, but I've also been looking lately at buying a new folding knife for EDC. Six months ago I was given a cheap little Buck Parallax knife as a gift, and it was my first time carry a knife on a daily basis. While it's a decent quality knife in terms of not falling apart, it's not anything I would have bought for myself. Now that I've done some research on knives I've come up with a two choices that I'm hoping you guys can give me some input on. It'd be for EDC use, my budget is about $75 max, and I'm looking for something I can manipulate easily and quickly with one hand. I haven't handled either of these two choices, but it'd be carried clipped to my right front pocket just for reference to the size considerations. Any other suggestions or input on these is greatly appreciated.

pic1.jpg

The SOG Aegis (which I noticed jlagman has posted about) is in my price range. I like the assisted opening a lot and the price. The fact that it sits deep in the pocket and has a nice blade shape are great too.

benchmade-mini-griptilian-bm556-lock-knife-benchmade-knives-51-p.jpg

The Benchmade Mini-Griptilian is small enough that I think I'd be comfortable carrying it. I like the locking mechanism more than the Aegis, but I dislike the fact that it's not an assisted opening. I don't know if this would prove to be an issue with this knife, but I want to be able to have it out and open in a hurry should the need arise.

I didn't want to make my own thread to ask, but I've also been looking lately at buying a new folding knife for EDC. Six months ago I was given a cheap little Buck Parallax knife as a gift, and it was my first time carry a knife on a daily basis. While it's a decent quality knife in terms of not falling apart, it's not anything I would have bought for myself. Now that I've done some research on knives I've come up with a two choices that I'm hoping you guys can give me some input on. It'd be for EDC use, my budget is about $75 max, and I'm looking for something I can manipulate easily and quickly with one hand. I haven't handled either of these two choices, but it'd be carried clipped to my right front pocket just for reference to the size considerations. Any other suggestions or input on these is greatly appreciated.

pic1.jpg

The SOG Aegis (which I noticed jlagman has posted about) is in my price range. I like the assisted opening a lot and the price. The fact that it sits deep in the pocket and has a nice blade shape are great too.

benchmade-mini-griptilian-bm556-lock-knife-benchmade-knives-51-p.jpg

The Benchmade Mini-Griptilian is small enough that I think I'd be comfortable carrying it. I like the locking mechanism more than the Aegis, but I dislike the fact that it's not an assisted opening. I don't know if this would prove to be an issue with this knife, but I want to be able to have it out and open in a hurry should the need arise.

Both are quality products. Like I said SOG and Benchmade are both amazing companies.

Aegis Review (Really Detailed)

Benchmade Griptilian 550HG

Both knives will serve EDC purposes and both are good quality. There is a difference in the steel used however, the Aegis uses the Aus 8 and the Griptilian uses the 154 cm (ill let you research the steels yourself, however I think Aus 8 steel is underrated).

Bottom Line: Its just going to come down to personal preference on which features youd rather have. For instance, I like the stronger tip that a Tanto blade provides. I also am hesitant to buy the straight edge\serrated edge combos, and I dislike thumb-hole delivery systems.

Last edited:
Here's my comparison of the Endura 4 against the Aegis:

- Endura 4's lockup feels much more solid than the Aegis ever did
- I still prefer the full flat grind of the Aegis and it's larger belly, but the mid spine grind on the Endura 4 is by no means a deal breaker
- I think the Endura 4 is a little heavier by some 0.2 or 0.3oz, because of the steel liners
- the Aegis is a much faster knife, even my broken one without the SAT spring deploys and folds much faster than the Endura 4
- I prefer the pocket clip on the Endura 4, don't get me wrong, the pocket clip on the Aegis is a bank vault, but that's part of the problem; it takes a considerable amount of effort to retract from your pocket and has a nasty tendency to fray pants material over time as well

I think I will eventually get my Aegis fixed, SOG quoted me a fairly reasonable price to fix it and when I have the time, I'll probably mail it to them.

Back