Reloading thread

newerest

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Anyone else into handloads? Just recently got into it and it's pretty damn fun, even the boring parts like re-sizing brass is more fun than I expected.

So far I've reloaded 308 and 3006.

my favorite 3006 petload so far is 168 grain hornady BTHP with imr4350. Still tuning in the powder charge. I might try some heavier projectiles to try out long range shooting some more but 168 grains should be able to take me out to 600 yards.

My first attempts with 30 cal have been amazing, no mangled rounds no problems at all. 556 has been a trouble maker, such a tiny projectile makes it a big harder than I expected to seat the bullet.

I need to get some bulk projectiles. This stuff is addicting

What's the startup cost? And time to reload say a hundred rounds?

I'd love to get into it for my 7mm rem mag. Better affordability on range days and eventually better performing rounds at long ranges.

I'd love to get into it for my 7mm rem mag. Better affordability on range days and eventually better performing rounds at long ranges.
Not sure on startup cost but my dad and I did some .300 WinMag reloads one night... we only did 25 (cause that's how many I shot that day) and it took us like 4 hours. Course, there was trial and error at the start AND he only has a single stage press.

Not sure on startup cost but my dad and I did some .300 WinMag reloads one night... we only did 25 (cause that's how many I shot that day) and it took us like 4 hours. Course, there was trial and error at the start AND he only has a single stage press.

Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of. At my price point, I'll have a cheaper reloading machine. If it's so slow it's not worth it for the time put in, then I don't want to drop the money for a basic reload setup to collect dust in my garage as I continually say "fuck it. I'll just buy some core lokts. Only shooting with friends out to 200 yards anyway this weekend."

Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of. At my price point, I'll have a cheaper reloading machine. If it's so slow it's not worth it for the time put in, then I don't want to drop the $500+ for a basic reload setup to collect dust in my garage as I continually say "fuck it. I'll just buy some core lokts. Only shooting with friends out to 200 yards anyway this weekend."
I think it depends what you want to do.

If you're long range competition shooting and only shooting like 20 rounds a weekend handloading is still essentially to dial in your gun.

if all you're doing is plinking I almost think just waiting for ammo sales is the way to go.

I think it depends what you want to do.

If you're long range competition shooting and only shooting like 20 rounds a weekend handloading is still essentially to dial in your gun.

if all you're doing is plinking I almost think just waiting for ammo sales is the way to go.

Plinking now and hunting, but would really love to get into long (not crazy long) range shooting. I've always enjoyed it and even the ballistics math

Right now I need to get my group tighter at 100 and 300 yards before it being actually worth it to work on longer. Shooting about 6 in group at 300 so not bad, but that'll only open up further. Would love to get to a point of feeling accurate and comfortable out to 600

But fuck is ammo expensive for the amount you need to practice to start getting there.

Plinking now and hunting, but would really love to get into long (not crazy long) range shooting. I've always enjoyed it and even the ballistics math

Right now I need to get my group tighter at 100 and 300 yards before it being actually worth it to work on longer. Shooting about 6 in group at 300 so not bad, but that'll only open up further. Would love to get to a point of feeling accurate and comfortable out to 600

But fuck is ammo expensive for the amount you need to practice to start getting there.
I've been wanting to get into long range stuff and am pretty positive when I finally get my 6.5 Creedmoor build done what I'll do is just buy the American Eagle stuff in that caliber (if it exists) and use that until I can get like 1-2" groups with that THEN upgrade to the fancier shit.

You can probably get started with a basic Lee set for 300$

The general rule is the larger amount of powder a case holds the more money you save reloading. So something like 9mm or 5.56 isnt nearly as cost effective as the larger rifle cartridges like 30.06

If you're shooting for super small groups it really is hard to get better than a fire formed brass that is trimmed to the exact length you are looking for

The time component is serious but you split it up so you arent doing tumbling to seating bullets on the same day

Back