Renzo Gracie - Nice Guy or Total Fraud?

I met him years ago at an IFL event and he was very nice and gracious. He was busy with his team but took the time for a brief chat and photo. He seemed exactly like the guy I had seen countless times on TV. He seemed liked a pretty gregarious and outgoing person.

I've always been entertained listening to Renzo's interviews, in particular those with Ariel. Up to know I've always found his enthusiasm and apparent lust for life quite infectious.

However while listening to his interview on Ariel's show this week it occurred to me that he's the one that's constantly telling us what a wonderful guy he is. From all his charity work, giving $20 to a homeless man, giving up his time for people, beings a hero to his local community, giving you the shirt off his back if you say you like it etc etc.

In my experience people that do good things tend to do them to help others and don't publicise and pat themselves on the back for it (unless they are wanting to publicise a particular cause). It's lovely when others praise you for doing these types of things, but it seems rather hollow to me when you're the one praising yourself.

As I continued listening it struck me that this is the basis of most of the interviews of his that I've heard, 'I gave away this, I helped this person, I'm a nice guy', and it reeks of crap to me.

And I've not even mentioned his close friendship with Ali Abdelaziz.

Well for starters you make a generalization error asumming if he is a good person or a fraud based on your past experiences.

Being a good person that verbally reinforces their good behavior doesn’t automatically make them a fraud either.

Yes he has shown some shady behavior but in general he is a good person. I know him in real life so I can vouch for him but I also know that people are capable of acting in different ways under different circumstances surrounded by different people.

I think the lesson to be learned here is that it is hard to judge someone without knowing them well, and speaking of the good deeds that you have done does not cancel out being a good person as a whole.

He's the type of guy who would pick you up if your car broke down in the middle of nowhere, and also whoop you bad if you said something too nasty about him, even if you were close to him. Agree that a selfless act becomes selfish if you want attention for it.

he seems quite eager, like some of his students, to get into street fights

I love the Gracies, and Renzo is my favorite guy on a personal level, super friendly, funny, good natured but he's a fighter. Legend.

I trained at Graice Barra and the instructor was a complete dick - those Gracie enviroments are all about how many stripes you have on your belt

https://mmajunkie.com/2012/09/mma-l...ts-attempted-mugging-gives-perps-raccoon-eyes

gracie.jpg

22nd street and 10th ave right now two guys following me, can’t help but have a big smile upon my face Im talking about a happy one )))

I just stop to take a pic, they pretend they are looking at the window, can’t lie… My blood runs in a different speed, man I miss Brazil

Please hold there for just a couple minutes be right back

They are coming closer, asking for a cigaret lol can’t help but have a smile in my face. I don’t smoke. Pretend to wobble. They smile

Back as he runs, no chance to catch him… Even though I began to try to run after him, I realize How slow I was. F***k it :-///

This one asks me why did I do that, pretending to be stupid, one little kick to the ribs makes him whine and apologize, as I’m writing this.

I ask him if he was planing to rob me, he says no. All he wanted was a cigarette, lol I can’t help but have a big smile upon my face, and ..

I can’t help but take a pic as his nose bleeds and he wines and asks why did I do that… Like he doesn’t know the reason…

After giving one fellow a pounding while the other ran away, Gracie drove around the block looking for the other guy. He then found him, “choked him out 3 times”, and “raccooned” him, which apparently means doing stuff to make the other person wake up looking like a raccoon.

So basically, Gracie played iPhone photojournalist in documenting his own “attempted mugging” and counterattack. Either that, or he documented himself assaulting two innocent people on the streets of New York City.

Typical Gracie fake humility imo. From where I sit, they're all assholes of varying degrees. I wouldn't even mind the cheap shots, excuses, marketing gimmicks, and all their other bullshit if it wasn't packaged with all the horse shit about discipline, honor, and the children.

Don't the Gracies hold what they teach non brazillians too?

I think Renzo is a very nice guy who is capable of being a dirty son of a bitch when he feels he's been disrespected.
This.

I also think people should stop being so fucking cynical.

Renzo Gracie is not a fucking fraud. But hes a complicated character who was raised in a crazy life,and spent time living by himself in the fucking Amazon.

Now,seriously tho...Whenever something is presented,people always need to go the other fucking way and go through the hoops and mental gymnastics like their Eddie fuckin Bravo.

so if i ever meet him, i'll be fine as long as i say something nice (only if asked/talked to) and dont ask for a cigarette, right? not bad.

inventing techniques not thought of by the Gracies first.
The Gracie family didn't invent any techniques; it's all Judo and Jujutsu techniques, even the highly touted "Guard" predates BJJ. They were so ignorant of the techniques that they didn't know what a gyaku ude-garami was and renamed it the Kimura. The Gracie family is the Dennis Leary of martial arts.

is he the one scamming Ortega for all his money?

whoever that guy is -- he is pure scum. Ortega would be wise to part ways with him.

I think Renzo is a very nice guy who is capable of being a dirty son of a bitch when he feels he's been disrespected.
Go live in Brazil as a youth in his time era, see if you don’t develop a sense of toughness

Go live in Brazil as a youth in his time era, see if you don’t develop a sense of toughness
He bounced for a strip joint in the amazon when he was 13. He aint normal even compared to other Gracies ahahaha

He bounced for a strip joint in the amazon when he was 13. He aint normal even compared to other Gracies ahahaha
The videos and interviews I’ve seen with him show a nice guy imo. You screw with someone or if that someone thinks you’re screwing with them, you’re gonna get the horns.

Back