International Reused Syringes in Pakistan Infected More Than 900 Children In A Single Town With HIV

This is a true statement.

Former supervisor had to get a shot at a local clinic when we were teaching overseas. This was not a rural town and the clinic was quite modern.

When the doctor pulled out the needle from a drawer, my boss told him that he wanted a new needle that had not been used before.

The doctor became defensive and said "But, it's clean."

My boss repeated that he expected a new needle straight from the package.

The doctor saw that he wasn't going to budge, so he used a needle out of an unopened box.

I assume doctors/clinics/hospitals see washing and reusing needles as a cost-cutting measure.

Cost cutting , nonchalant attitude to safety and astonishing lack of empathy and concern for the well-being of poor people in that part of the world.

Regarding the safety aspect:
That is true across the board, especially in industry. In fairness, the West was like that at the turn of the last century. Safety requires money. If you can't afford to provide your employees with appropriate masks, filters, machinery safety guards, e-stops etc.. you make do without. We in the developed world take for granted the safety measures in place , that we never think about the harsh conditions other regions have to live in. But money is just 1 important factor ; the value of a poor person's life is meaningless.

Last edited:
What can possibly go wrong?

Not only that, but it's essentially a form of cruel punishment (especially for the kids) even if nothing go wrong:

Hypodermic needles are meant for single use, so the sharp pointy end naturally dulls after so many reuses. The doctors in dirt-poor Third World countries would "solve" that problem by using bigger and longer needles (a.k.a lower gauge) that they can re-sharpens over and over again the same way you would with a dulled knife blade on a whetstone, and the new pointy end keeps getting thicker and thicker as we get towards the middle of the needle.

It's like getting jabbed with a thick round toothpick about five times wider than the needle you got your flu shots with here. The puntured hole would be so big, they have to tape a cotton ball over it for the bleeding, as standard procedure.

Wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't seen such montrosity with my own eyes. Folks in the West who are "afraid of needles" have no idea how easy we got off here!

ffae38628c6bb8742277f008f55ea97c.png

Last edited:
Not only that, but it's essentially a form of cruel punishment (especially for the kids) even if nothing go wrong:

Hypodermic needles are meant for single use, so the sharp pointy end naturally dulls after so many reuses. The doctors in dirt-poor Third World countries would "solve" that problem by using bigger and longer needles that they can re-sharpens over and over again the same way you would with a dulled knife blade on a whetstone, and the new pointy end keeps getting thicker and thicker as we get towards the middle of the needle.

It's like getting jabbed with a thick toothpick about five times wider than the needle you got your flu shots with here. The puntured hole would be so big, they have to tape a cotton ball over it for the bleeding, as standard procedure.

Wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't seen such montrosity with my own eyes.

Jesus Fucking Christ

Jesus Fucking Christ

Check out this bad boy:

conventional-needles_C_MPS_HY_0816-0008.png

I've seen steel nails in the West that are thinner than those re-sharpen and re-use syringe needles in the East :confused:

Where are our wealthy "doo-gooders" at? The big mouthed political ones that can use yheir money and influence to get these innocent paki kids HIV medication? Recurring prescriptions, etc?

Someone needs to call Bill and Melinda Gates on the Bat Phone.

Check out this bad boy:

conventional-needles_C_MPS_HY_0816-0008.png

I've seen steel nails in the West that are thinner than those re-sharpen and re-use syringe needles in the East :confused:
Who the Hell is that for? King Kong?

Just to give you guys an idea, wholesale price for disposable syringes is around 10 cents or less for each unit. Of course, the bigger ones are more expensive.

Who the Hell is that for? King Kong?

That ridiculous 19-gauge needle is used to administer medicine into your butt cheeks, a very popular method of injection in rural Asia. You wouldn't be able to sit for the rest of the day after the injection, consider your ass just got stabbed, but that beats having your arm paralyzed from nerve damage.

It's actually very common for people in Third World countries to migrate to the West and be mind-blown that most of our common injections are to the forearm, with these itsy bitsy needles they never knew existed.

Consider how many times you can resharpen that thing, a doctor can rely on as few as two syringes with lower-gauge needles for the entire village. While one being used on a patient, the other is in the boiling pot to get ready for the next person in line, and rinse and repeat.

That being said, it's been a while since my last trip to the Asian countryside, so I'm hoping the needles they're still reusing now are closer to the 27-gauge standard, and I'm really hoping they no longer grind that thing down until it's gone.

Of course, all that is moot if the doctors don't even attempt to disinfect the syringes at all before reusing them, which is likely what's happening in Pakistan.

That ridiculous 19-gauge needle is used to administer medicine into your butt cheeks, a very popular method of injection in rural Asia. You wouldn't be able to sit for the rest of the day after the injection, consider your ass just got stabbed, but that beats having your arm paralyzed from nerve damage.

It's actually very common for people in Third World countries to migrate to the West and be mind-blown that most of our common injections are to the forearm, with these itsy bitsy needles they never knew existed.

Consider how many times you can resharpen that thing, a doctor can rely on as few as two syringes with lower-gauge needles for the entire village. While one being used on a patient, the other is in the boiling pot to get ready for the next person in line, and rinse and repeat.

That being said, it's been a while since my last trip to the Asian countryside, so I'm hoping the needles they're still reusing now are closer to the 27-gauge standard, and I'm really hoping they no longer grind that thing down until it's gone.

Of course, all that is moot if the doctors don't even attempt to disinfect the syringes at all before reusing them, which is likely what's happening in Pakistan.

If a doctor pulled that needle out to use on me I'd get confused and grab a scalpel and it would be like the scene from West Side Story.

When I went travelling my first aid kit always had needles in it in case I needed any shots , I never needed them but I felt a lot better for having them as I had heard some real horror stories from a friend about a clinic in Egypt .

Last edited:
That's the last thing Pakistan needs. It has horrible healthcare anyway, couple with a massive inbreeding problem leading to massive amounts of congenital defects. They really need help from the international communities, but whether or not the clerics will let it proceed also would remain to be seen.
Go to Pakistan for any reason?
That’s a hard no
They’re on their own

Just to give you guys an idea, wholesale price for disposable syringes is around 10 cents or less for each unit. Of course, the bigger ones are more expensive.

10 cents is approximately how much they earns for an hour of labor.

Most people in rural Pakistan and India still survives on less than a dollar a day.

Headline and thread responses are enough for me. I'm not reading that. What an absolute horror. Those poor people.

This not only crumpled my wake n bake but actually got me reconsidering the whole internet thing.

See you in a month or two.

Hope they at least wipe the needle off on their shirt sleeve or something between patients

Here's the kicker: the first doctor that was busted - Muzaffar Ghangharo - is actually himself HIV-positive and doesn't even know it.

The investigation also reveals that when used needles are disposed of, people would repackage them as new and resell them to other doctors.

That speaks volume about the kind of quackery they have over there.

Slightly older article, but still be informative for those a bit behind the news:

Medical Investigation: How Did 494 Children In 1 Pakistani City Get HIV?
May 21, 2019

gettyimages-1144019923-10-e99b8488a773cc714dd4c63fe47ad21756ab659d-s800-c85.jpg

This spring, a number of parents in Ratodero, a poor neighborhood in the city of Larkana in southern Pakistan, were worried about their children.

Their children had been running fevers for a while. The parents had been taking them to a clinic run by Dr. Muzaffar Ghangharo, a pediatrician. But the youngsters weren't responding to treatments to bring down the fever.

In late April, some of the parents wanted another opinion. So they took their children to a different medical center in Larkana, where they were seen by Dr. Imran Arbani.

Because a long-running fever is one of the symptoms of HIV, Arbani suggested testing the children for the virus as a precaution.

The results were devastating. On April 24, the first test results came in: One of the children was HIV-positive. There were 14 more positive test results, according to an op-ed written by Muhammad Nauman Siddique, the province's deputy commissioner, and published on May 20.

The children ranged in age from 2 months to 8 years.

That was the start of the current HIV outbreak in the Sindh province of Pakistan.

It's a disease that is all too familiar in this part of the country. The province accounts for nearly half of the 150,000 HIV-positive cases in Pakistan, according to UNAIDS. In this particular outbreak, blame was initially focused on Ghangharo, but the tragedy is now being linked to major failures in the health care system, including reuse of syringes and lack of standards for blood transfusions.

After news of the infected children broke on TV, "there was panic, hue and cry," Masood Bangash, a district police officer, told NPR. Parents gathered outside Ghangharo's clinic and other sites in Larkana to express their anger.

The deputy commissioner of Larkana's municipal government called for free screenings for anyone who was concerned. The parents of the HIV-positive children demanded that Ghangharo be screened as well.

As of May 20, more than 10,000 children and adults have been screened as part of the ongoing government effort. In total, 607 were HIV-positive: 113 adults and 494 children. According to the authorities, in most cases the parents of these children are not HIV-positive.

As for Ghangharo, he was found to be HIV-positive.

"And here is when it was suspected that he was the source of spreading HIV in their kids through bad practices," says Bangash.

Ghangharo says he was not previously aware of this status, and the police said that he believes he might have been infected from a blood transfusion he received after an automobile accident several years ago.

Because of the outcry, the doctor was arrested on April 30 based on what's known as a "first information report" in the Pakistani judicial system — in this case, complaints from the parents about a possible offense. He is being held in jail until an investigation is completed.

In a video filmed in jail that day and released on social media, the doctor stated: "I have been accused of playing the main role in spreading HIV. I am a qualified pediatrician. I had no idea I was infected. I would have taken treatment had I known I had HIV. I never felt any signs and symptoms. I am fully active. Also, why would I do this to innocent kids? What enmity do I have against these innocent children that I will infect them with HIV?"

The investigation is ongoing as the team tries to determine whether the outbreak was the result of unsafe practices in the doctor's clinic and other clinics in the region.

Dr. Minhaj Kidwai, the CEO of the Sindh Health Care Commission, an independent, government-funded group, believes the outbreak is a result of "contaminated syringes, syringes that are reused for injections in children, unscreened blood transfusions and reuse of dextrose and saline drips."

Fehmida Khan, community support adviser at the UNAIDS Country Office for Pakistan and Afghanistan, reiterated that theory in an email to NPR: "For now, it seems that the major mode of transmission ... is attributed to the rampant practice of unsafe injections and unsafe blood transfusion."

Because of the hundreds of diagnoses since April, the belief is that it's impossible to blame one individual. "It's not only this particular doctor but others and quacks as well," says Kidwai.

According to the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council, an estimated 200,000 unqualified medical personnel are practicing in the province of Sindh.

What's more, even if medical staff dispose of needles, there are still risks, the investigators found. "During our investigation we also unearthed people who were repackaging used syringes and selling them to doctors," says Kidwai.

In all of Sindh province, Kidwai says, investigators have identified some 500 clinics, labs and blood banks with unsafe practices or evidence of quackery in the past three weeks. In Larkana alone, 147 facilities have been "sealed" — shut down pending further investigation. And approximately 600 facilities in Sindh province have received government warnings.

There's another potential problem, Kidwai says. Some doctors in the area "sublet" their degrees to nonmedical personnel, who'll pay a fee so they can state the clinic is under the doctor's supervision even though the doctor is not on the premises.

Back