• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

REVIEW: Cleto Reyes Mexican training gloves

I was thinking the same thing, reminds me of this gym in NY that was brought up on another forum; the teacher would throw knives and spears at his students and they would have to dodge them - there was even pictures on the website with ripped up clothes and blood.

In Wing Chun they would condition their hands by punching bean bags, or barrels filled with the dried beans; they would also condition their forearms on collums, swinging their arms like that karate kid drum - or they would just do the same with a partner.

Maybe the bag filled with marbels would be the same as the beans, but a bag of rocks is just retarded; you are just asking to break your hands.

i personally never got around to it hand conditioning, i should call my old coach and see how his hands are doing now that he's in his mid 50s. last i talked to him was 2 years ago and he was playing PS3 call of duty like a mad man so i would assume his hands are still fine. i guess if you do hand conditioning it has to be built up in moderation. the closest thing to hand conditioning that i do is not put on my wraps but i normally make sure the gloves i use have crazy padding and wrist support, and like i said before i try to work the bag and not to let the bag work me.

Last edited:
who knows i normally train pretty light and mainly do sparring related drills,

Which is funny because you never mention sparring in any of your tests.

don't normally hit the bag as much as i use to and when i do i work the bag and try not to let it work me. meaning i don't really go to hard on the bag. only time i go hard on the bag is when i going to do a review on a pair of gloves.

Thats fine, different people need different gloves for different reasons.

Based on how hard you train and the type of training you do, I don't think you need $140 gloves IMO.

Would I recommend Reyes for the casual trainer? Absolutely not.

Problem is, your reviews don't let people know about you as the reviewer, and your username especially lends itself to sounding like an authority on MMA reviews which probably gives people the wrong idea.

Also, there's nothing "old school" about not wrapping your hands. Dempsey and every other post-Marquis champion wrapped their hands, so should you, and so should everyone else.

Reyes are way overpriced for the person who fools around occasionally at the gym. But not everyone here falls into that category. It's a good idea to clarify that sort of stuff for your readers first.

Which is funny because you never mention sparring in any of your tests.

yeah i'm not good at expressing myself in writing but that is why i do these reviews it's a way for me to work on my english writing skills.

Based on how hard you train and the type of training you do, I don't think you need $140 gloves IMO.

Would I recommend Reyes for the casual trainer? Absolutely not.

i train enough i think i normally train stand-up twice a week and ground 3times a week. i think in the last 3 weeks it's been all stand-up every day, but that is unuasual for me as i love my bjj. Between 2002-2005 there were too many weeks where i spent 20-30 plus hours in the gym a week. i was just a kid with nothing better to do. But now that i'm married with children i'm laughing if i get 10hrs to myself to train. some weeks i might only be able to get 2-3hrs.

based on my experience i wouldn't recommend them for anyone not my grandma to a world class pro boxer.

Also, there's nothing "old school" about not wrapping your hands. Dempsey and every other post-Marquis champion wrapped their hands, so should you, and so should everyone else.

Old school is my old coach i'm more lazy then old school. I know why i should wrap my hands i just havent hurt my hands bad enough to want to start wrapping them up as i make sure i'm not using shitty gloves like the cleto reys i tested last week. if i was using shitty gloves like those cleto i'm sure i'd be wrapping my hand before every session. Hell as i'm typing here my hands feel stiff because of those piece of shit overpriced gloves. :)

Last edited:
yeah i'm not good at expressing myself in writing but that is why i do these reviews it's a way for me to work on my english writing skills.

i train enough i think i normally train stand-up twice a week and ground 3times a week. i think in the last 3 weeks it's been all stand-up every day, but that is unuasual for me as i love my bjj. Between 2002-2005 there were too many weeks where i spent 20-30 plus hours in the gym a week. i was just a kid with nothing better to do. But now that i'm married with children i'm laughing if i get 10hrs to myself to train. some weeks i might only be able to get 2-3hrs.

based on my experience i wouldn't recommend them for anyone not my grandma to a world class pro boxer.

Old school is my old coach i'm more lazy then old school. I know why i should wrap my hands i just havent hurt my hands bad enough to want to start wrapping them up as i make sure i'm not using shitty gloves like the cleto reys i tested last week. if i was using shitty gloves like those cleto i'm sure i'd be wrapping my hand before every session. Hell as i'm typing here my hands feel stiff because of those piece of shit overpriced gloves. :)

You know you aren't helping yourself by repeatedly calling proven gloves shitty right? All Mexican style gloves offer thinner padding to simulate fight gloves, I haven't heard any complaints from people punching soft targets; of course if you are going to be punching block balls you will want to be wearing pillows on your hands.

Between 2002-2005 there were too many weeks where i spent 20-30 plus hours in the gym a week.

:rolleyes:

30 hours per week for 3 years and you can't throw a hook properly on the heavy bag?

Who could possibly take you seriously?

Go and give those Reyes to someone who will put them to good use. Preferably someone who wears handwraps when they train because they actually know how to throw a punch.

:cool:

i have my own gym and if someone came in with mexican style gloves or fight gloves in general i wouldn't let them hit the bag or do any sparring with them unless they could demonstrate some real control. Good review mate and don't let these haters stop them from coming. cheers

btw there is nothing wrong with the way your throwing your hooks i personally teach both, for High hooks (head) should be horizontal. Low hooks (body) should be vertical (thumb up), so the bones align properly with the 2 large knuckles but everyone will have their own way of fighting so it comes down to whatever feels right to you.

Have I seen people hit the bags without wraps on? Sure. They are........"ufc bros"................Imo, stop buying expensive gloves and use the money in a gym lol (my heart nearly broke when I heard you smashing $150 cleto reyes on the wall)...

Dude, I literally laughed out loud when I read the "UFC Bros" comment!:)

btw there is nothing wrong with the way your throwing your hooks i personally teach both, for High hooks (head) should be horizontal. Low hooks (body) should be vertical (thumb up), so the bones align properly with the 2 large knuckles but everyone will have their own way of fighting so it comes down to whatever feels right to you.
Not what he said.

And welcome to Sherdog btw, lol.

i have my own gym and if someone came in with mexican style gloves or fight gloves in general i wouldn't let them hit the bag or do any sparring with them unless they could demonstrate some real control.

lol @ this crap. You joined today to come into this thread and say this?

Mexican style gloves are used by fighters all across the world. Guess what? almost every fighter in Mexico wears Mexican style gloves. So do many Thai fighters who box.

Mexico > your gym.

You have your own gym and teach boxing and you teach people a 2 knuckle landing?

Sounds legit........:eek:

Looks like TS just made another account to support his bogus reviews.

I've owned or used just about every glove available, Reyes will always be my go to. Absolutely the best gloves I've ever used.

Not for nothing, but you can't seem to be bothered to even spell the name of the product correctly through most of the review. Reyes, not Reys.

Old school, new school, any school, people should be wrapping their hands right after they lace up their shoes. My 16 oz Cleto training gloves have excellent wrist support when worn as they were designed, though I've never worn them without wraps. I've also never used them to punch walls, make a salad, shovel, or use them for anything else they weren't designed for.

Terrible review, regardless of how you felt about the gloves. Start wrapping your hands, stop punching walls, find a new gym, and use spell check.

Only time i ever wear boxing gloves without wraps on is when i am trying them on at the store

truthfully if i ever hurt my hands bad, then maybe i'll think about wrapping up but most likely i'll just hit a lighter softer bag, or get better more protective gloves. That is just the way i roll.

Bas Rutten is probably the most vocal dutch kickboxer turned MMA fighter when it comes to not using wraps in training. I wonder what you guys would be saying to him if he ever wasted his time to post a review on sherdog regarding some gloves.

ohh shit i just watched Freddie Roach demonstrating a left hook with a horizontal fist (palm down). WTF, Blair you should go down to his wild card gym and teach Freddie how to throw a proper hook for some reason he's got it all wrong. check out the video yourself. It's wild how the trainer of champions doesn't know how to throw a hook.

Freddie Roach on the left hook - YouTube

I personally like to land a hook with the horizontal fist (palm down). If you ever punched a bag with mma gloves or bareknuckle you'd feel most stable with a horizontal fist, well at least i do. However on pads i noticed i seem to gravitate to a vertical fist (thumb up) position as i can add some bicep into it which gives my hook more slap, this makes my hook alot louder on the pads, and really turns heads in the gym. I only do this when i want to pick up the girls :) j/k

Damn i'm getting mobbed here from what i assume are cleto reyes lovers, and i suspect most of these lovers are primarily boxers.

What i'm getting from everyone is my review is BS because i didn't wear wraps when i tested my buddy's cleto reyes gloves, what does that have to do with the gloves having shity wrist support, and crappy impact absorption, COMPARED TO OTHER GLOVES. If i had wraps on im sure i'd still feel the same way. on top of being pissed that i wasted 3-4mins of my life wrapping my hands.

The only reason i'm saying the gloves are shit now is to piss off you cleto reyes lovers that don't like hearing a poor reviews of their beloved brand, then coming in here and saying the review is bullshit because of me personally and i don't know what i'm talking about. When in reality i did say the gloves had some good points, would of been nicer if both gloves had the same fit. However i feel these gloves are no good if you have bad hands or wrists, don't like to wrap your hands cause your lazy or have watched to many bas rutten videos like myself (reinforcing my anti-wrap mentality), and or don't want to hurt your sparring partners cause you can't control your power durring sparring.

i rated the glove poorly primarily based on the protection as i feel if you put on a pair of boxing gloves they should give you and your partner protection during sparring sessions. Sure if i wore wraps then my hand protection and wrist support would go up but that's not because of the glove that's because of the wraps. These gloves have some padding but they don't protect you like other gloves i've reviewed. Everything else was fine so was i wrong about everything else in the review. when i said the Leather and sticthing was good are you thinking maybe i'm so full of shit that the leather and stitching is probably shity, cause I dont know what i'm talking about.

This will be my last post for this topic however my next review will be on the hayabusa bag gloves

i look forward to your review of the hayabusa gloves. i don't have any input on the reyes ones since i have no desire to buy a pair. i don't do just straight up boxing so with the extra money i would spend on those i could get a pair of gloves and a pair of shorts or rashguard.

truthfully if i ever hurt my hands bad, then maybe i'll think about wrapping up but most likely i'll just hit a lighter softer bag, or get better more protective gloves. That is just the way i roll.

Bas Rutten is probably the most vocal dutch kickboxer turned MMA fighter when it comes to not using wraps in training. I wonder what you guys would be saying to him if he ever wasted his time to post a review on sherdog regarding some gloves.

Bas and others come from kyokushin where they spent most of their time training bareknuckle.

He also recommends palm strikes over bareknuckle punches because the risk of injury is higher if you punch bareknuckle.

Also, don't try and pretend like you do bareknuckle for any reason other than your a dumbass.

Bas might hit the bag barehanded, but he's got excellent technique too. I'm 100% certain you don't.

ohh shit i just watched Freddie Roach demonstrating a left hook with a horizontal fist (palm down). WTF, Blair you should go down to his wild card gym and teach Freddie how to throw a proper hook for some reason he's got it all wrong. check out the video yourself. It's wild how the trainer of champions doesn't know how to throw a hook.

You are reaching monumental levels of stupidity now.

Roach teaches the hook that way (as do most trainers) for hitting the opponent and NOT the bag. He is talking about landing the hook on the opponents jaw (at close range) in a FIGHT.

Which is exactly what I told you earlier in this thread about using the palms down hook in real sparring and fights but NOT on the bag.

Freddie would tell you the time to practice the palm down hook is on the speed ball.

Watch closely at how Justin Fortune throws that 1-2-3 on the bag and tell me if he lands it vertical or horizontal. I ask anyone reading this to watch it again and tell me. Watch it 2 or 3 times if you have to.

Then go and google Justin Fortune because I'm sure you have no idea who he is.

Cleto Reyes are great gloves that aren't for everybody. And your reviews suck. That pretty much sums this thread up.

as long as your elbow is behind your fist going in the same direction towards the target does it really matter if your thumb is up or facing you, it doesn't matter to me, and i'm sure it doesn't matter to most trainers out there. The only thing that gets me is when i see people throwing a hook and their elbow is lower (not in the same line) then their fist while moving to the target sure people say it is to be less telegraphic, and protect your body, but i don't like it. But that doesn't matter. now i'm finished with this post. my reviews suck cause i suck end of story. let this topic be a lessen for all you sherdoggers if you'r not a professional fighter or coach, or if you not the top dog in your gym (assuming your gym isn't a basement or garage), if your gym is a basement or a garage then your a lost cause, don't evenbother posting reviews of your gear cause your review doesn't mean shit. If you fall under any of the above make sure to BS your credentials otherwise your review will not be taken seriously. :) good night

Blair Dennett who the hell are you i google you and i can't find you anywhere as this great pro fighter-trainer, so why are you so hard. Is this a keyboard warrior thing.

Last edited:
Blair Dennett who the hell are you i google you and i can't find you anywhere as this great pro fighter-trainer, so why are you so hard. Is this a keyboard warrior thing.

previously amateur MMA fighter and boxer. I'm a coach as listed below with the organization in my picture in my avatar.

Crossing over to pro now.

Event here: Storm Damage - Cage Fighting in Canberra : Wherevent.com

Website here: Storm Damage - Cage Fighting

As for reviews, I think if you cut out the BS testing methods and just did more traditional tests you'd be ok.

I would say the biggest problem that people had with your reviews was punching a wall. Should you use hand wraps? Sure, but most of the guys at my gym don't bother if they are just going to hit the bag for 15-20 mins after Jiu Jitsu class - if you are going to be hitting the bag for long periods of time, wrap up because when you start getting fatigued your technique will get sloppy. I use sparring gloves on the heavy bag for added protection.

Mind you they are all experienced fighters, clearing out the Ringside tournament last year.

Last edited:
previously amateur MMA fighter and boxer. I'm a coach as listed below with the organization in my picture in my avatar.

I too am a amateur boxer (no MMA experience) and I am currently a level one USA Boxing coach in the process of opening my own gym.

As for "getting mobbed here from what i assume are cleto reyes lovers, and i suspect most of these lovers are primarily boxers.", well yes, I exclusively box and I do love me some Reyes gloves. That being said, it has nothing to with why I have issue with your review. It's that your methods are asinine and your experience is extremely suspect.

If I'm ever in a situation where I'll be in a fist fight with a wall or a bag of marbles, I'll be sure to reconsider my glove choice based on your reviews.

Cleto Reyes are notoriously a "puncher's glove" (sometimes also referred to as "Mexican style"), meaning they don't have as much knuckle padding. If you're going to review a glove you should at least have some background information on it to make your reviews more credible. If you're complaining about these gloves not having a lot of knuckle protection that's ridiculous because that's exactly the way that they're designed.
They're meant for people who want to feel punches on the end of they knuckles.

And please start wrapping your hands

Back