REVIEW: Nutty Buddy-Protectin the Boys!

Hi guys,

I saw CFMC04's/Nathan's review of the NuttyBuddy cup in the testimonial part of the NB web site. Then I was able to click on the URL which lead me to the Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums where I discovered that there is an intense interest in this remarkable athletic cup.

I am not a martial arts practitioner but I just enjoy wearing jocks and cups and other gear because they feel so good.

I discovered the NB one Saturday afternoon in late August 2006 when I was surfing the Web. I googled "athletic cup" and got the NuttyBuddy web site then in its infancy. When I saw Mark Littell's video clip of the NB and then the design of this cup, I knew I had to get it immediately!!! I think I ordered either a Boss or Hog size which would have been too small for me. I am glad I didn't get my order then.

The people at NuttyBuddy, Inc. promised early customers like me that my order would arrive in mid to late January 2007, then to February, and FINALLY in March 2007. During that period, the NB web site got better and better.

What impressed me most about the Nutty Buddy is its hi tech ergonomic design which is bold, radical departure from most athletic cups. Many modern athletic cups are flex cups. I don't think a flex cup is a good idea for contact sports such as martial arts. Plus this cup is built to last.

One of the enhancements of the NB web site are its size tools. So when I finally got ready to order, I got a tape measure and measured my "man area", and for a grown man like me, I ordered the Mongo. This was in early March. At that time, I exchanged several e-mails with Craig Coppola, president of NuttyBuddy, Inc. I appreciated very much his patience advice in my choice of the Mongo.

Now when I slipped the Mongo between a pair of Under Armour Core Vent Compression shorts and a BIKE no. 10 jock, this cup lifted my genitals into their proper position: the "meat" in the vertical chamber and the "potatoes" in the dual side chambers. Wearing the NB package is comfortable beyond belief, so much so that there an erotic element to this cup.

Last month there was a media blitz about the Nutty Buddy in which it was featured in news papers, TV, and radio here in the USA and abroad. Mark Littell even demonstrated the NB in the streets of NYC outside of Fox headquarters. He has to be one of the most gutsiest guys in promoting his product, and for this he must be commended. Let those of us who are fans of the NuttyBuddy support Mark Littell in his marketing efforts.

Thom./AthleticDC

Thom,

I didn't know my review was up on the site. Thanks for the info. I'm VERY happy with my NB. I am glad to see so many people converting. I truely believe this cup is superior to any (that I have used) out there.

I heard Mark was going to be on Leno sometime this month to do another demonstration of the NB. I really believe in this product and I am glad to see the NB army growing.

Hi Nathan,

Yes, your review of the NuttyBuddy cup in the testimonials section of the NB site was an attention grabber. I am glad that Perry posted your review.

I e-mailed Perry late last night telling him how much I enjoyed reading your review. I also asked him if he or someone at NuttyBuddy, Inc. would be willing to forward a letter of support to Mark Littell. In the media blitz several weeks ago, many news articles said that Mark sunk $40,000 of his own money for the patenting and development of his product. What distressed me about many of the news articles I read was their derisive reactions to Mark's product.

Also apparently, Mark recently approached some important people at BIKE Athletic for their evaluation of the NuttyBuddy. They were cool in their response. One of them said that this cup was such a radical departure in athletic cup design that he wasn't sure if its potential. He just didn't have data on this cup to make a more definite judgment.

I am glad that you become a big fan of the Nutty Buddy. You and I along with other guys on this board advertise this cup to guys both on the Net and on the field.

Thom./AthleticDC

I bought the Nutty Buddy based on the TS review and the demonsration, so I thought I'd put in my 2 cents and ask a question to others who use it for BJJ.

I bought the package #1, the most expensive one with the compression shorts and jock strap, I wanted to give this cup a fair chance and I wanted to use the equipment they recommend. I got it in about 3-5 business days and put it on and just wore it around the house. First impression: fits very comfortable, keeps everything snug but not too snug, I can pinch my legs together with no discomfort, but I was concerned that there wasn't enough padding around the edges.

First time using it for an activity: I went skiing a few days after buying it and decided to use it for the rack factor on riding rails. I never took a shot to the junk but I wore it for many hours with little to no discomfort. Still concerned there may not be enough padding around the edges.

Using it for BJJ: It seemed to stay in place and protect well but as I feared the edges really dig in when going for armbars or working in a tight guard postion. I grappled for about 2 1/2 hours that night and when I got home the inside theigh / groin area was all red. That was Monday and it is Friday now and that area is still a little sore to the touch. I wasn't able to wear a cup at all the rest of the week b/c my groin area was sore and I didn't even take a shot there. I normally wear an MMA bananna style cup.

My thoughts: I think this thing is great for activities like baseball where you are protecting against a one hopper to the twig and berries, or Football where you may take a helment to "helmet" hit, but the "grinding" nature of grappling really put a lot of pressure on the not so soft edges of this cup. If they would have made this thing with padded edges like on a MT steel cup it would be perfect. The shape and design are great, but I think it really digs in. Maybe I'm just a big pussy, but that is one area that I am very sensitive about. This cup is light years ahead of the crappy cups you buy off the shelf at a sporting goods store, and probably the answer to most sports and would be great for bouncers and others who need to wear a cup to prevent that 1 devestating shot that you may randomly take, but I wasn't happy with it for BJJ. At one point in a tight high guard situation the cup got turned a little and as my oponenet was trying to free himself the taint protector actually gave me a little jab in the taint. The problem with this is if I had no cup on that day I would have no groin discomfort now.

My question: Does anyone else notice this? I admit I absolutely hate wearing a cup, at this point I have probably spent about $200 trying every type of cup on the market and can't find one that's perfect for BJJ. I don't quite need the MT steel cup just to grapple, that thing is huge, heavy , and inconvenient to put on / take off, but it does have plenty of padding around the edge. The MMA bananna style cup is ok, but same problem, not enough padding around the edges. Does anyone have any advice? Maybe I'm not wearing it correctly, but I find that hard to believe, I ordered the whole package from NB and it seems to fit well.

Overall opinion: Great design, very comfortable as far as cups go, just not enough padding around the edges. When they make this thing with a nice layer of padding like on the MT steel cup they may have a perfect product.

one problem with it...not enough padding around the edges...playing guard with a 210 lb person is no fun...other than that it would be totally perfect, still better than other cups though

Worn mine rolling for the past few weeks, and I routinely forget the thing is even in when I'm done. No problems with slipping or smashing. Never even felt alarmed, and I have played guard with some large fellows, and haven't noticed any problem with the edges... but then again, we've all got different pelvises.

Highly highly recommended.

Worn mine rolling for the past few weeks, and I routinely forget the thing is even in when I'm done. No problems with slipping or smashing. Never even felt alarmed, and I have played guard with some large fellows, and haven't noticed any problem with the edges... but then again, we've all got different pelvises.

Highly highly recommended.

What kind of a jock strap do you wear with it? I've been wearing a UA jock and my buddy tends to slip down between my legs a little more than I would like.

I got my NB Friday morning, and got to test it out in class Sat morning. I really liked it, and my only complaint is that it made the crease area in my legs hurt with about 10 min left in class. I think its mostly because I am not use to wearing a cup. I highly recommend this product, as I didnt really notice it on for the most part of the day.

What kind of a jock strap do you wear with it? I've been wearing a UA jock and my buddy tends to slip down between my legs a little more than I would like.

Champion compression shorts from target and the nicer Bike jock that NB sells.

Are the people who are having problems with the edges wearing compression shorts/cup/jock like they recommend?

I have been using the NB awhile now and can say that I have no issues with rolling with it on. The edges did initially bother me somewhat, however, I rarely wore a cup before. Now that I have worn the NB several times I don't even notice it is on. I obviously highly reccomend the NB to protct the wedding tackle.

I grappled for about 2 1/2 hours that night and when I got home the inside theigh / groin area was all red. That was Monday and it is Friday now and that area is still a little sore to the touch. I wasn't able to wear a cup at all the rest of the week b/c my groin area was sore and I didn't even take a shot there. I normally wear an MMA bananna style cup.

My question: Does anyone else notice this?

Same thing for me. I ALWAYS wear a cup when rolling and while I loved the NB in the beginning but after getting sore a few times I find that I just use my MT steel cup which always works for me.

^^^

I think it depends on the jock strap you use. When use a UA jock and I don't have that problem but I do if I use a Bike traditional jock.

Champion compression shorts from target and the nicer Bike jock that NB sells.

Are the people who are having problems with the edges wearing compression shorts/cup/jock like they recommend?

I am wearing compression shorts with the bike jock strap from NB. Anyone else have the taint protector actually stab you in the taint? I wore it again last night (I really hope I'm just not used to it) and in a tight guard situation the cup moved and little and stabbed me in the taint, nothing serious, but very uncomfortable.

^^^

I think it depends on the jock strap you use. When use a UA jock and I don't have that problem but I do if I use a Bike traditional jock.

Fair 'nuff. I've always used Bike's so maybe I'll give UA a try.

Interesting about using different jocks...but it sux to have to go through all this different equipment to get a cup to feel alright. Heck by the time people are done (with S&H) some are going to pay 100 bux for this stuff lol

hmm might have to crack down and pick one of these up. Nice review!

Nice looking product, but the S/H is ridiculous. $24 to Canada? come on!

Draco_Auric, did you check all of our shipping options for the cheapest International Method? $16-$24 (depending on where you live) is the cheapest international shipping option we have, what are you paying for international shipping for other products? I don't think we are over-charging or out of line in our shipping costs, but if you've seen cheaper than please let me know. Also, we only ship USPS International Priority or Economy, and FedEx International Priority and Economy. Maybe you've seen International ground options that are 3-4 weeks before you receive the product. We typically ship same day and depending on the method you should have within 14 days. Again, let me know what you're paying for other products and if there's anything I can do I will help you get our product.

Thanks,

-Perry
NuttyBuddy, Inc.

Draco_Auric, did you check all of our shipping options for the cheapest International Method? $16-$24 (depending on where you live) is the cheapest international shipping option we have, what are you paying for international shipping for other products? I don't think we are over-charging or out of line in our shipping costs, but if you've seen cheaper than please let me know. Also, we only ship USPS International Priority or Economy, and FedEx International Priority and Economy. Maybe you've seen International ground options that are 3-4 weeks before you receive the product. We typically ship same day and depending on the method you should have within 14 days. Again, let me know what you're paying for other products and if there's anything I can do I will help you get our product.

Thanks,

-Perry
NuttyBuddy, Inc.

The cheapest option offered to me was USPS International Priority for $24.30. Which is crazy since that's what it would cost to send it via Express Mail according to the USPS website. The USPS Express Mail option you offered was $32.

I don't see why you wouldn't just pass along the more reasonable rate of $17.30 that USPS quotes for packages to Canada up to two pounds when your own website states that the Ultimate package weights only 1.5lbs.

And these numbers don't even consider the fact that business generally get bulk shipping rates that are considerably cheaper.

In answer to your question many of the websites I buy from offer free shipping when the total spent reaches $75-$100(I know the NuttyBuddy is only $50 but I'd totally drop another couple bucks to get a second set of briefs or something), otherwise I generally pay $5-$20 depending on the size of the order.

Has anyone used the NB during striking, boxing, MT? Or have you just used it for BBJ?

Back