Rewatched the fight, Islam clearly won - Khabib's abscence affected performance imho

I agree, I think khabib brings that extra urgency and that confidence amongst other team members. Its not easy to fly thousands of miles to Australia and cut weight, and have the entire crowd boo and throw rage and then do 5 rounds for the first time against a guy who really is 200lbs. I mean people are complaining about this decision is ridiculous.
Wat

I rewatched the fight too. I still gave volk rounds 3 and 5. I still gave islam round 1 and 4, and I still think round 2 was extremely close.

Islam landed much cleaner and frequently, was shocked to see Volk lose the stand up battle.
Me too, Volk having great success grappling and Islam hurting Volk on the feet isn't what I expected lol

I suppose Islam won according to the scoring criteria, but Volk whooped his ass.

Pretty surprising to see a few people on here claiming that Volk won. It was a clear 49-46 for me and honestly, Volk was getting lots of little man bonus points from the commentators and some of you.

He was outstruck, outwrestled and only had one proper sequence in which he controlled the fight and had any sort of sustained success - the latter part of the 5th. Even then, a lot of people are overplaying that moment because they think that it started with a clean KD, which it wasn't.

Agreed. Also just rewatched it. Think two judges got it right.
Round 1 Both landed good shots but Islam landed the harder strike, Islam took his back twice and got a takedown. Islam
Round 2 Both buckled each other, Islam got a takedown with some control, Islam controlling the pace, back and forth clinch exchanges. Islam
Round 3 Little output from Islam, Volk landed the better strikes and the grappling exchanges were pretty even. Volk
Round 4 Islam landed some solid counters, took Volk down, took his back. Islam
Round 5 Both had their moments though Volk seemed to be more active of the two and finished the round strong by dropping Islam and control. Volk

Great performance by Volk though, many weren't giving him much of a chance and have to admit neither did I, thought Islam would finish him in the 3rd or 4th.
Just rewatched it myself and thats exactly my conclusion as well. 3-2 Islam.

No, the weight cut, and the short recovery time.
done on purpose by dana btw just like he "forgot" his name lol, he's gonna try every move to get rid of islam because he doesnt bring in money and now khabib is 100% not coming back so he doesnt need to pretend to like islam

Volk 2-3-5

Volk had home advantage and lack of khabib in Islams corner

done on purpose by dana btw just like he "forgot" his name lol, he's gonna try every move to get rid of islam because he doesnt bring in money and now khabib is 100% not coming back so he doesnt need to pretend to like islam

Dana also said the PVP was doing well

If you thought Volk won on your first, second, or 49th rewatch, you lack brain cells and know absolutely nothing about MMA.

Volk won 1 rd clearly. ONE!
No I didn't , thought it was closer bc of fifth round recency bias

Volk just had his moment at the end of the fifth were he had Islam rocked/gassed.

Besides that he was getting schooled on the feet and controlled:

He would nod as to say he was not hurt or fazed by the shot
He would start yelling and talking while being controlled on the ground, bc unable to do otherwise

Makhachev on the other hand could and should have capitalized more after clipping volk and taking
him to the ground. He tends to be a bit shy and Khabib's abscence was clearly affecting him.
He basically had volk's back in HIS OWN CORNER and those 3 muppets were just looking at him.
Khabib would have been on the cage telling him what to do with a red raged face.
Let me guess, you love khabib and his butt buddies?

Islam won rounds 1, 2 and 4. Hell he mightve won 1-4. Suck it haters. Deal with it

Its not easy to fly thousands of miles to Australia and cut weight, and have the entire crowd boo and throw rage and then do 5 rounds for the first time against a guy who really is 200lbs.
200lb? Not even close, he probably only cut 5-10lb for this fight. He probably walks around 170-175lb tops.

Ah yes, the Khabib can do no wrong and is the solution to everything thread

I'm sure you also believe that Eagle FC is going under because Khabib suddenly lost interest in that project instead of simply failing after doing everything he can to make it work

Back