StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
Updated 10/22/13

Updates in yellow

Greetings Once again!

Its time to review the Rival ABS-M "Bag Mitt"
First of all, let me tell you, I would NEVER use these on a Heavy Bag. I would reserve them strictly for light bag work outs: Double ended, or speed bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECpX_KzI-08&feature=player_embedded

The reason I state that is because the owner of Rival says to use it on The heavy bag, he says his modern day fighters use it.
Here is the reason why, the modern day boxing glove has come along way since its inception. There is absolutely no reason to risk injury just because old school fighters did things a certain way back then. I truly believe wearing old school gloves will not improve any sort of performance but rather simply increase the risk of injury.

I personally think he's nuts! I don't use the most protective gloves but I can just imagine my metacarpals screaming if I hit the heavy bag at 100% force.
The gloves offer almost no shock absorption, I think it is a bad idea hitting anything dense, to include mitts using these gloves. I feel for shadow boxing these would make add just the right amount of weight than training in just wraps. For speed bag work its the same thing, it adds just enough weight your shoulders will get a significant work out without sacrificing the speed.

These gloves normally run $29.95. I got them for $20. I don't even know where to start with these things to be honest.

"The Good"
The gloves are slightly curved outward which allows you to make a nice, tight, straight fist. A big plus is that your thumb goes into its natural position when making a fist. The Velcro is pretty well done IMO. They are pretty lightweight.

The gloves also sport a grip bar which IMO allow the best maximum clenched fist especially considering it is the MOST low profile "Glove" you'll come across. Other than having a wrapped hand this will be the closest you'll come to a true fist

"The Bad"
Realistically, I would not use these gloves except for a light bag work, as stated above.
The leather is OK. It smells nice but it doesn't have the feel like my other gloves do, Its a bit hard, a bit rigid. They come with Mesh palms, but I've never been a fan of them I prefer regular old ventilation holes. The inside while it looks nice its screams cheap to me.

Don't listen to Russ Abner, the guy is a salesman 1st and foremost. These gloves are not at all protective, but again, they do fine for light bag work or shadow boxing.

"The Ugly"
These gloves ironically need break in time. Don't ask me how or why. They just do, trust me.

The gloves require a thought process to use them to be honest, unlike other gloves you don't NEED a reason to use them, its there already. The biggest question is,"If I have bag gloves, I have sparring gloves... what do I need these for?" You simply don't. They are a novelty or have a throw back nostalgic feel to them, nothing more.

Overall:
I only bought these gloves because I had bought the Rival Guerreros at the same time and I LOVE those gloves. These on the other hand even on sale I would still have to pass on. I would value these gloves at like $5.00. They just don't bring anything other than "Hey Im wearing a Rival" glove to the table. Hand safety is the utmost importance and again unless you are doing light bag work outs I wouldn't bother with this glove.

To be honest, I was brutally harsh on these gloves. No one would simply buy these gloves as their sole and lone pair. Again, these gloves are a throwback and a novelty. You buy these KNOWING that.

Score: F or 50%
Adjusted Score: D- / 62%

I mean I use these on my double end quite a bit, so they do get a lot of usage, I love them for that, but I still wrap up anyhow and I just cycle through stations for drilling. But for the casual boxer, these are worthless. For the Regular user, unless you are like myself I would never use these on anything but a double-end and maybe a speed bag if you have a grant/reyes 100 dollar speed bag and don't want hand sweat all over it. I got these on sale and they still aren't worth it. At regular price, I would 100% pass on them.

I bumped up the score because they do add some weight while training, a novelty of a glove yes... but it still does help you improve. While the quality did NOT boast outstandingness, I felt the quality did not lack either. However, being a throwback or an obsolete item, I feel you will buy this because of that. I still think these gloves aren't really worth more than $10. I know in the original review I said $5 but realistically nothing cost $5 nowadays.

For those that do not like to read (

Last edited:
Can't believe somebody actually brought these. lol

Laugh it up while u can. I was curious ok!?

Nice review!

Most importantly, how well does the mesh perform in case of taking pizza out of the oven? Because it is the only of the named purposes I would consider these mitts to use for.

Lol, i try everything that demands attention. I mean sometimes you wonder if a guy is full of shit or hes on to something. "Look at all the old pics of muhammad ali, etc." i was like damn maybe hes right. 1 punch like 60% power on the heavy i was like this guy can go f... Off lol!

Well you know if Ali was boxing in this century he wouldn't be using those mitts obviously. Good review man.

Yeah, Ive been using these on the speed bag, I gotta say the extra 2-4oz per glove definitely adds some weight. So I Have 2 uses for it now. Still not worth the investment lol. Im just trying to get my monies worth.

from the 2nd picture, has the lining ripped on the left?

good review

Actually they are separated, what I mean by that is the machine or whatever got jacked up and sewed in a different place so it's not symmetrical like as intended in that makes sense! They are not worth 30.

okay I gotcha now.

Glad to see reviews of lower end equipment on here. I think the people who are looking at this price range need more help sometimes than those who are going straight to the top end stuff.

Nice review!

Most importantly, how well does the mesh perform in case of taking pizza out of the oven?

LOL

Last edited:
I would like to offer a slightly different point of view. Strat has a lot of great points and honestly this product is really for people that just want to spend money and have nothing else to buy.

I feel that the wrist strap alone is a great selling point. It gives a lot of stability when working the speed bag and double end bag.

I think the dude is nuts for recommending them on the heavy bag. I've never done it and probably won't, though if you've ever trained iron hand or any kung fu related practice these might benefit by reducing cuts and bleeding.

This is overall a good glove for light bag training, but hand wraps can do everything this glove does, imo. There's literally no padding in these gloves, or atleast it feels like that.

That being said mine have seen a lot of use.

100% agree, great fine light bag work, you're right the wrist support is good, but another good point you bring up you can get everything you need from wraps alone.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on the gloves but I have to stretch for a reason to use them at the same time. What couldn't I do before I bought these? I could do everyone so IMO they aren't essential.

Last edited:
Tnx for the review man, I don't see why these get so much hate while everybody seems to love huge ass gloves that slow you down and hinder your technique. My 18 oz pillows are for sleeping, not bagwork, thank you very much.

I have some questions:

Any chance you could weigh these? Title says these are 6oz but you said 2-4oz. I'd like to clear this up if possible.

How thick is the knuckle padding?

Does the velcro actually go over the wrist, providing support?

Is there room for knuckle guards? Would you say these gloves are roomy or tight?

How did you know what size to get?

Tnx for the review man, I don't see why these get so much hate while everybody seems to love huge ass gloves that slow you down and hinder your technique. My 18 oz pillows are for sleeping, not bagwork, thank you very much.

I have some questions:

Any chance you could weigh these? Title says these are 6oz but you said 2-4oz. I'd like to clear this up if possible.

Mine are 4 ounces

How thick is the knuckle padding?

Slim to none, it feels like just leather for padding

Does the velcro actually go over the wrist, providing support?

Yes.

Is there room for knuckle guards? Would you say these gloves are roomy or tight?

Go up a.size for wraps and such

How did you know what size to get?

I believe there is a chart at www.rivalboxing.com

Edit: re weighed them and they are about 6oz, sorry about that.

Last edited:
I got mine in Medium, and guys I ordered a Oz scale off ebay, so I will update all my reviews as I plan to weigh everything. Just waiting for the scale to ship in. As far as the Velcro goes yes it goes directly over the wrist provided you size the glove properly. I doubt there is room for knuckle guards. Mine fit pretty snug with just wraps on.

I still can't believe that you bought these, lol

Still laughing about the different ways that you can use them though, lol

Hell ya man, I really do like them for the double end bag, thats all i use them for though. So the mitts cost almost as much as the bag, yeah buddy!

Back