Robert Whittaker = "A Changed Man" ... for the Worse

IronGolem007

Po Atan
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let's cut to the chase, Whittaker used to be a fighter, now he's a point fighter.

Adesanya basically castrated Whittaker.

If we look at the "UFC only" stats, realize this:
  • Before Adesanya, in the UFC, Whittaker had 13 UFC Fights (11 Wins, 2 Losses, 5 KOs) - 1 loss by KO
Since being brutally KO'd / exposed by Adesanya,
  • After Adesanya, in the UFC, Whittaker has had 5 UFC Fights (4 Wins, 1 Loss, 0 KOs) - no further KO losses.
Anyone who watches the first Adesanya fight, compared to the second Adesanya fight, can see Whittaker is 100x more cautious since being annihilated.

His style is too cautious now, boring and lame.
He completely let Cannonier off the hook.

Yeah, I am a "Bobby Knuckles" fan, or at least I was — but I am actually hoping du Plessis embarrasses Whittaker and sends him back into retirement.

I don't want to watch ANY ONE fight "not to lose" ... will not pay money for this ... Including those people who used to be my favorites.

Since his first Romero fight he’s pretty much only fought top 10 and many top 5 fighters. He still hurts and drops or wobbles most of them too. I don’t think his style has changed much at all. In the Izzy rematch I do think he was a bit more cautious than normal but generally speaking I feel he mostly fights the same but his opponents are better and don’t as easily succumb to his speed and blitzes compared to when he was climbing the ranks

Terrifying-Female-Power-Slap.gif

Whittaker doesn't get a lot of finishes but it's not due to lack of trying which is why I don't mind his decisions. GSP would point point and wrestle and dominate rounds but it never felt like he really went for it. Rob throws hard and is trying to finish. He's just been fighting a lot of guys that are hard to finish. He tries at least.

I do think Izzy made him more careful but he was still throwing hard Gastelum and Vettori fights. Two guys with iron chins....

Since his first Romero fight he’s pretty much only fought top 10 and many top 5 fighters. He still hurts and drops or wobbles most of them too. I don’t think his style has changed much at all. In the Izzy rematch I do think he was a bit more cautious than normal but generally speaking I feel he mostly fights the same but his opponents are better and don’t as easily succumb to his speed and blitzes compared to when he was climbing the ranks

Appreciate your response.

Really watch Whittaker in the first Adesanya fight: he's going for blood.

Really watch Whittaker in the second Adesanya fight: he's fighting "not to lose."

Ray Charles can see this.

He has been fighting "not to lose" ever since (IMO) ...

His supreme confidence has been lost.

Last edited:
St. Pierre used to be known as a finisher until he lost the strap to Serra and started controlling his opponents more…

He also became one of the most dominant fighters in the sport by doing so as well, beating the likes of Penn, Fitch, Condit and Shields in the process…

Whittaker is doing what he should be doing and staying relevant because of it.

Appreciate your response.

Really watch Whittaker in the first Adesanya fight: he's going for blood.

Really watch Whittaker in the second Adesanya fight: he's fighting "not to lose."

Ray Charles can see this.
He got Koed going for blood and nearly won the second fight changing his strategy, Ray Charles would be screaming this at you right now while his balls are slapping your gooch

He got Koed going for blood and nearly won the second fight changing his strategy, Ray Charles would be screaming this at you right now while his balls are slapping your gooch

Losing with honor (going balls-to-the-walll) vs. Losing on points (cautiously "avoiding danger") is still LOSING ... is it not?

Watch both fights ...

And then tell me (as a fan paying $85) which fight you'd rather watch again ...

Vettori eats 241 total strikes against Cannonier, doesn't get finished or even dropped for that matter. Whittaker doesn't finish him despite soundly outclassing him and hurting him multiple times? He's a point fighter.

Gastelum is known for an iron chin and has never been finished by strikes in 26 fights. Whittaker outstrikes him 169 to 70 but doesn't finish him. He's a point fighter.

Cannonier has never been finished at Middleweight, was knocked down by Bobby who also broke his arm and soundly beat him, but Whittaker didn't get the finish. He's a point fighter.

Till has 23 career fights and has never been finished by strikes at Middleweight. Whittaker beats him, lands more strikes at 100 to 50 and drops him. No finish? He's a point fighter.

Whittaker's last five opponents not named Israel Adesanya have fought 120 times in their careers. They've only been finished by strikes four total times in their careers.

Damn point fighters.

In before complaints about card cost - which you likely don't purchase anyway - and you bringing up gladiators, fights to the death or doing mental gymnastics to hate on fighters who's style or approach you don't enjoy...

KG, Vettori and Cannonier have insane chins at MW but it was brutal watching Whittaker absolutely brutalize them. The only fight he was too safe was against Till

KG and Vettori arguably have the 2 best chins we've ever seen at MW can't blame Whittaker for not putting them away. Cannonier and Till aren't slouches either.

You can look at it how you want. He did MUCH better against Izzy second fight. Almost won the damn title. He couldn't chase Izzy down in first fight. That was one of the dumbest fights I've seen from him and IMO wasn't like his previous approaches

I like seeing finishes as much as anyone but I understand why he hasn't finished the people he's been fighting. I couldn't see it happening

Back