Rock bands with people of color are pretty rare.

They're not doing anything that hasn't been done before. Sleep are a great band. So are Om and High on Fire but there's been no leap forward in rock music since grunge. Rap and house music is where most of the innovation has been coming from over the last few decades. I'm not saying there aren't plenty of good rock bands around but it's safe to say that the genre has been pretty stagnant for a long time

The intro to this is branching out into new territory when it comes to music, in fact the entire song is. Can you figure out what it is?

The intro to this is branching out into new territory when it comes to music, in fact the entire song is. Can you figure out what it is?

They're branching out into new territory by playing heavy 80s heavy metal?

They're not doing anything that hasn't been done before. Sleep are a great band. So are Om and High on Fire but there's been no leap forward in rock music since grunge. Rap and house music is where most of the innovation has been coming from over the last few decades. I'm not saying there aren't plenty of good rock bands around but it's safe to say that the genre has been pretty stagnant for a long time

You sound like Adam Levine lol.

Even if there is no "innovation" that isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as there are great artists like the Arctic Monkeys, Jack White/Ranconteurs, QOTSA, etc still going strong. Sometimes there doesn't need to be a huge deviation from a formula that works. You could say this whole EDM movement has changed the scene, but it completely waters down the genre and removes talent from the product. Especially when they're playing some of this "rock" music on the rock station and also on pop stations that also play Taylor Swift. Even Weezer sold out and their new music sounds like fucking garbage. And you have groups like Imagine Dragons that people pass of as rock but are actually a weird hybrid of rock, rap, EDM, soul, etc. that really have no business being lumped into the rock genre.

For me, my tastes in rap music pretty much got stuck in the 90s. There's some stuff that comes up every once in a while that is okay, but I think 80 percent of current rap music is trash compared to the NAS (who still makes good music), Gang Starr, Mos Def, Too $hort, NWA, etc days. I listen to some of this stuff now and it is just straight up annoying.

You sound like Adam Levine lol.

Even if there is no "innovation" that isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as there are great artists like the Arctic Monkeys, Jack White/Ranconteurs, QOTSA, etc still going strong. Sometimes there doesn't need to be a huge deviation from a formula that works. You could say this whole EDM movement has changed the scene, but it completely waters down the genre and removes talent from the product. Especially when they're playing some of this "rock" music on the rock station and also on pop stations that also play Taylor Swift. Even Weezer sold out and their new music sounds like fucking garbage. And you have groups like Imagine Dragons that people pass of as rock but are actually a weird hybrid of rock, rap, EDM, soul, etc. that really have no business being lumped into the rock genre.

For me, my tastes in rap music pretty much got stuck in the 90s. There's some stuff that comes up every once in a while that is okay, but I think 80 percent of current rap music is trash compared to the NAS (who still makes good music), Gang Starr, Mos Def, Too $hort, NWA, etc days. I listen to some of this stuff now and it is just straight up annoying.

"Even if there is no "innovation" that isn't necessarily a bad thing."

Stagnation is never good in art. The last jump forward was grunge which was a relatively minor one compared to the past. As far as rock is concerned this generation still hasn't had it's Sgt.Peppers//Dark Side/Ziggy Stardust. That's not a good thing. There's been a lot of good records come out over the last decade but very little that's new.

"You could say this whole EDM movement has changed the scene, but it completely waters down the genre and removes talent from the product"

What we've mostly seen are commercial rock bands attempting to cash in on the electronic scene. That's been true in every decade though. There will always be terrible mainstream rock acts who will jump on whatever's popular. Nu Metal is a prime example of that. Radiohead are one of the few bands in the last decade who seemed to have a genuine desire to experiment with electronic music.

"For me, my tastes in rap music pretty much got stuck in the 90s."

That's your taste though. Your taste isn't reflective of the reality of what's been happening in rap which has evolved and changed significantly since the 90s. Flying Lotus, Clipping, Pusha T, Run The Jewels and Kendrick are just a few of the artists who have been pushing rap forward.

That's your taste though. Your taste isn't reflective of the reality of what's been happening in rap which has evolved and changed significantly since the 90s. Flying Lotus, Clipping, Pusha T, Run The Jewels and Kendrick are just a few of the artists who have been pushing rap forward.
Keep in mind however, that there are a lot of people that do not like rap/hip-hop regardless of era and no matter how much innovation there is, it will always fall on deaf ears.

However, there are people that will always listen to rock regardless of the lack of innovation. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. Maybe since rock music blew up in the 1950s there really isn't much of a direction it can take at this point. Who knows, maybe we'll be surprised one day. However, rap music really only blew up in the 80s and still has room to grow.

Keep in mind however, that there are a lot of people that do not like rap/hip-hop regardless of era and no matter how much innovation there is, it will always fall on deaf ears.

However, there are people that will always listen to rock regardless of the lack of innovation. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. Maybe since rock music blew up in the 1950s there really isn't much of a direction it can take at this point. Who knows, maybe we'll be surprised one day. However, rap music really only blew up in the 80s and still has room to grow.

Sure. I would love to see rock music take the next jump. Most of the big trends started as a reaction against what was popular at the time. So maybe 8 years of Trump and The Imagine Dragons will be enough to kickstart the next revolution

Kirk Hammet-
Dave Lombardo-
Tobin Abasi
Gary Clark Jr
Pat Smear
Robert Trujillo
James Iha
Howard Jones
Zach de la Rocha
Tom Morello
Slash

Off top of my head

I've met Tosin Abasi, really chill guy. Very soft chubby hands...

How about Jesus Piece? Or The Templars, a multi racial Oi! band...

Don't forget about my :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s Skindred. With the exception of their last album, the kick major ass.

And don't forget about motherfuckin Nonpoint

Also Howard from Killswitch Engage is somewhat black

Kirk Hammet-
Dave Lombardo-
Tobin Abasi
Gary Clark Jr
Pat Smear
Robert Trujillo
James Iha
Howard Jones
Zach de la Rocha
Tom Morello