Rogan: "No Stand Ups in MMA" - Cue 2 Minutes of Moaning About Abdelwahab vs Mayes

Not sure if you watched the PPV or not but they were complaining about it cause the reffing on Saturday had been shitty for a while prior to this fight with lots of early/totally unnecessary stand ups and the stand up in the fight you are talking about was also unnecessary, Abdelwahab had a dominant position and was landing strikes.

If there's a real problem with that stand up, it's that it came too late.

There was around two minutes where Abdelwahab landed nothing but tiny, short forearms - and he landed three or four at most.

He also wasn't advancing position.

Unfortunately, the referee didn't stand them up at that point, he waited until there was some action and finally decided 'I've had enough' and stood them up.

Still - there's no way that's a horrific stand up - it was just poorly timed, and the round was boring.

Breaking news: Joe Rogan can be hyperbolic.

You've replied angrily to a post explaining why MMA has rounds.

Your angry response has nothing to do with rounds, and doesn't address that post in any way, shape or form - hence, you've probably misunderstood something.

I didn't reply angrily, I explained why Rogan and the other commentators were talking about bad stand ups in case you didn't watch the fights via PPV/Stream live and missed a lot of the previous commentary.

Joe was right about the stand up in this fight but not overall. I've always liked Pride's rules to avoid stalling

If there's a real problem with that stand up, it's that it came too late.

There was around two minutes where Abdelwahab landed nothing but tiny, short forearms - and he landed three or four at most.

He also wasn't advancing position.

Unfortunately, the referee didn't stand them up at that point, he waited until there was some action and finally decided 'I've had enough' and stood them up.

Still - there's no way that's a horrific stand up - it was just poorly timed, and the round was boring.

No, the problem was that they stood up a fighter who had been actively punching the other guy and advancing positions, while the other guy couldn't do anything to get back up. It was a horrible stand up. If you found that round boring then MMA is not for you, go watch Boxing or Kickboxing.

No, the problem was that they stood up a fighter who was actively punching the other guy and advancing positions. The ref had to stop Abdelwahab from punching Mayes to stand the fight up, it was a horrible stand up. If you found that round boring then MMA is not for you, go watch Boxing or Kickboxing.

No thanks buddeh.

I love MMA, and watch every weekend.

It's okay for me to have found such low action boring, you don't have to be rude. You'll be able to move on with your life, I believe in you!

No thanks buddeh.

I love MMA, and watch every weekend.

It's okay for me to have found such low action boring, you don't have to be rude. You'll be able to move on with your life, I believe in you!

You're being extremely sensitive; I have not been rude to you whatsoever. You claim the round was boring when it was one of the most exciting fights of the entire event.

You're being extremely sensitive; I have not been rude to you whatsoever. You claim that round 2 of the fight was boring when it was one of the most exciting fights of the entire event.

No, I claimed round three was boring.

And I don't like boxing, i struggle to enjoy it in general. Kickboxing is okay. MMA is better.

This whole thread is about round three, if any.

Not round two.

It's actually about the idea of having no stand ups, but keeps getting derailed.

No, I claimed round three was boring.

And I don't like boxing, i struggle to enjoy it in general. Kickboxing is okay. MMA is better.

This whole thread is about round three.

Not round two.

None of the rounds were boring. The fight was extremely high paced for HWs and lots of the takedowns were high impact and very skillful. I'm not sure what you're frame of reference is if you think any of those rounds were boring as I thought it was one of the most exciting fights of the whole card.

None of the rounds were boring. The fight was extremely high paced for HWs and lots of the takedowns were high impact and very skillful. I'm not sure what you're frame of reference is if you think any of those rounds were boring as I thought it was one of the most exciting fights of the whole card.

LOL, the significant action dropped off a cliff.

You're almost certainly misremembering the fight, hence getting the round number wrong.

Pretty sure you could go to UFC stats and check out the significant strikes in R3, which until the stand up were virtually no existent.

Different circumstances. That fight was a banger and with that fight the HW really didn't do anything

He's not wrong. If you want to make the sport as close as possible to a real fight without poking eyes, nut shots and hair grabbing then you shouldn't be interfering with the grappling. Smothering someone is an effective technique and if it was bullshit then the bottom person would stand back up. It's fighting. Every time you stand it up you're giving a completely undeserved advantage to the person who was losing because they were a poor grappler.

He's not wrong. If you want to make the sport as close as possible to a real fight without poking eyes, nut shots and hair grabbing then you shouldn't be interfering with the grappling. Smothering someone is an effective technique and if it was bullshit then the bottom person would stand back up. It's fighting. Every time you stand it up you're giving a completely undeserved advantage to the person who was losing because they were a poor grappler.
The goal is not to make it as close to real fight as possible. The goal is to provide entertaining violence. They used to have no time limits but then……………………………………………..::::::::::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;:::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;……………………………………………………,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,………………….…yawn.

The goal is not to make it as close to real fight as possible. The goal is to provide entertaining violence. They used to have no time limits but then……………………………………………..::::::::::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;:::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;……………………………………………………,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,………………….…yawn.

It's a fair point.

Why should MMA be tasked with making a fight 'realistic'?

Boxing isn't realistic. Wrestling isn't realistic. Any individual martial art doesn't make for a 'realistic' fight.

Competitive martial arts don't exist to provide 'realistic' action, they seek to find the best practitioner of a specific code.

MMA, originally perhaps, was trying to find the best of ALL codes.

But that's nothing to do with 'realistic' fighting.

Well, give them bats then. That would be more entertaining.

It's a fair point.

Why should MMA be tasked with making a fight 'realistic'?

Boxing isn't realistic. Wrestling isn't realistic. Any individual martial art doesn't make for a 'realistic' fight.

Competitive martial arts don't exist to provide 'realistic' action, they seek to find the best practitioner of a specific code.

MMA, originally perhaps, was trying to find the best of ALL codes.

But that's nothing to do with 'realistic' fighting.

This.

Mma is not realistic. We have these things called "weapons".

c3wVj9.gif

giphy.webp

You are 100000% correct sir!

Good job of Herb to stand the first one up, lack of action there.

Well, give them bats then. That would be more entertaining.
You can’t cross the line. Groin strikes cross the line. Weapons are way too far for what’s deemed acceptable by society.

You can not have “ stand ups” if it only goes one way. Up. We don’t have “ get downs “
Ref - “ stop , nope ineffective striking , get on the ground “

Back