News Ronda Rousey finally opens up about reason she quit mma

giphy.gif

She came back after the loss to Holly and fought the hardest puncher in the division. Maybe concussions is why she retired but it's not why she wouldn't talk about the losses.

If she had been willing to speak after her losses and addressed her fears of concussions she would have way less hate. She handled it in the worst way possible.

Still by far biggest star in wmma history. Deserved or not. No wmma could headline a ppv and be a top year seller Ronda could.

She said she retired due to too many concussions she had prior

“My concussion history that I had to keep secret for years so I would be able to continue to compete and perform, that’s basically why I had to retire” Rousey said in an Instagram Live stream ahead of the release of her new book, “Our Fight.”

At the peak of her MMA career, the Olympic judo bronze medalist was unbeaten and had defended her UFC title six consecutive times. She had also defeated some of the biggest names of her time, including Miesha Tate, Cat Zingano, Liz Carmouche, Julia Budd, and others.

However, everything changed for Rousey after her first professional defeat. Rousey, who was seen as an unstoppable force, was viciously knocked out by a Holly Holm head kick in front of 56,000 fans at UFC 193 in late 2015. She didn’t take the loss well.

Rousey never fully addressed the defeat and stayed away from the public eye for months.

“I think that there was just so much to (that loss), that I couldn’t talk about it in the form of like an interview or an article or anything like that, or there would be several filters between my words and people reading it,” Rousey said regarding why she never spoke about the loss to Holm. “So much had to do with having so many concussions when I was in judo before I even got into MMA, I couldn’t talk about it at all when I was doing MMA because it would literally put a target on my head, and I might not have been allowed to compete any further...

Read full article at link above

What do you guys think? I give it a
<Fedorthumbsdown.gif>

View attachment 1035680

I guess im dissapointed she didnt mention her main crutch of a partner she could always lean on during her worst moments...

Travis brown "grimace"...her beloved purple pillow
She quit because Nunes turned her into a baby deer and exposed her lack of a well rounded skillset immediately after Holm punted her head nearly off her shoulders.

Don't women usually go a bit softer? Also, she's not exactly Jeff Hardy, she's the "MMA chick" there, so that comparison doesn't seem fair.

You can argue she wrestled safely. I won't disagree. (I don't know)

But I just opened another tab, opened a random Rousey bout in WWE, and she took a german suplex.

It's pro-wrestling. She could take a bad/lazy punch. The odds of concussions and accidents are still high.

Is head trauma that common in Judo? I get there’s always a risk when people are tripping, throwing, slamming, and flipping eachother, but I didn’t think ko’s were all that routine. At least, I never heard that from Judokas.

But I just opened another tab, opened a random Rousey bout in WWE, and she took a german suplex.

It's pro-wrestling. She could take a bad/lazy punch. The odds of concussions and accidents are still high.

Her matches were decent but mostly pretty safe. She wasn't taking chair shots, but definitely some suplexes and slams.

There are a few wrestlers out there that were once told they couldn't continue due to concussions, but have since found a way. Bryan Danielson is a fair example. I think they've figured out how to mitigate the risk as much as possible via working differently, changing move sets, etc.

So you go into WWF where you could very easily receive a concussion (and I’m no pro on concussions but don’t they come easier the more you have?)

I smell something, and it ain’t what The Rock is cookin’……….. BS!

Sure, but at least it's all properly rehearsed and the ring is very "elastic". All in all, I just feel it is a safer route (for your brain) than MMA.

ronda-rousey-in-olympics-2008-cropped.jpg

she lost in the olympics.

she seemed to take it well. Maybe getting beat the fuck up then KO'd is a different story. I personally wouldn't know because I'm a sherdogger, I simply don't get beaten up and have a street fight record of XXX - 0
She wasn't built up as the best female fighter ever for years in Judo. That all came crashing down pretty bad after the Holly loss. She was the first fighter ever going into a fight allowed to do no media or answer any questions going into the Amanda fight, she was shook.

Ok this makes zero sense, because if that was the case then why did she go to WWE? pro wrestling is known for concussions, its happened to most of them at some point

And before you say the outcome is pre-determined, that doesn't mean anything, because you still have to do the moves, it doesn't matter if the winner is chosen beforehand, you still have to do all the moves and there a lot of high flying moves as well, its risky, especially if you don't have much experience in it, which she didn't

She wasn't built up as the best female fighter ever for years in Judo. That all came crashing down pretty bad after the Holly loss. She was the first fighter ever going into a fight allowed to do no media or answer any questions going into the Amanda fight, she was shook.
I agree that mentally she was broken and it wasn't about concussions. I don't think it's because she lost necessarily because she lost though. I think it had a lot ot do with getting violently finished, which is different than "just losing", if she lost a decision and didn't get hurt too much I'm thinking she'd have not changed at all.

ronda could have remained a champion all she had to do was change camps.

Yeah, she didn't want to answer questions about the Holm fight and how her training was going for Nunes. Delusional liar is the nicest thing to say about her new reason for retiring. If she was serious, she'd release her sparring partners for the Nunes fight from their NDA's so they can tell us how "short yellow bus" she was with striking training. With no distractions, her learning ability/IQ would be on display. We know she fought like a drunk, mentally challenged chimp against Amanda.

Meh, andrew luck retired for the same reason.
I can respect that.

HOWEVER, going to pro wrestling when you're worried about concussions is a little crazy.

Back