Media Ronda Rousey says “I’m the greatest fighter that has ever lived.”

They could literally start the fight with her having an arm bar locked in with Cain on his back and she'd still have no chance.
What if she finally listens and implements "head movement! head movent!"? :D

Brother this is bad. Is this the new shits? Come back 7 years laters after getting knocked into Siberia twice and state confidently you are best ever? Ronda you are the best evers ok? We definitely didn't see you fight average white women for the entirety of your career.

I largely agree except that I do think the game passed her by. She refused to learn new skills or train with new people. She let Edmund build her ego and convince her she could strike as well as grapple. And a lot of people got caught up in that. Her judo skills aren't even questionable, but this is MMA, not judo. Armbars aren't enough to compete with well rounded fighters, and Holly proved it. Beyond her striking ability, Holly also trained at a good gym with intelligent coaches and worked on her game in every aspect.

What new skills did Ronda ever learn?

She had the potential to be much better than she was, but like too many others she never felt the need to evolve.
Did it though? Aside from the presence of Holm and Nunes the women’s 135 rankings would contain almost all the same names 2 years or so after Rouseys fall from grace. Holm herself would go on to lose to Tate who Rousey had already beaten twice at this point. And one of Ronda’s quickest wins was over Cat who had managed to beat Nunes previously in her career.

Look at Holly. Yes she battered Ronda, but how did she look against everyone else? Going into her title fight she had looked fairly underwhelming given her striking accolades. And in the years to come she would lose to every other elite fighter she faced. It seems to me that she was just about the worst matchup imaginable for Ronda. That’s not a knock on either of them, it’s just how their styles matched up.

Nunes is a bit of an outlier. To me she’s the greatest female fighter in history, and even if she had faced Ronda at the height of her success I would favor Nunes, although I do think it would have been a lot more competitive than it ended up being. Either way though, Amanda went on to rule the division and even the next division up for years to come. Losing to her doesn’t indicate the game changing, it’s that she was an all time great fighter.

Ronda had a lot of holes in her game. Her striking was rudimentary. Her footwork and head movement were non-existent. But looking at the state of the division after she left, and even today, the skillset she brought to the table was and would be elite for the division. Frankly I think if you could transport 2014 Ronda to fight for title today there’s a good chance she’d win it.

People forget how dominant she was. It's all just a joke now.

Yeah she is annoying, her coach was annoying, and what she is saying is all coping hard..

but at her height she was a fucking force and raised the tide for all women in the sport. Some of y'all forget too easily.
Against trash comp every time she stepped up she got squished

Disrespectful casual.
That's not disrespectful it's true, she stepped up against holly and got beat she stepped up against another true female all time great and got stopped ugly.

The only notable fighter Ronda beat was cupcake, her resume is horrendous.

"Takes a lot of energy to be a rock star."

As it happens, I recently rewatched both the Holm and Nunes fights. In addition to enjoying watching Rousey get her clock cleaned, I was reminded of just how terrible Mike Goldberg was.

That's not disrespectful it's true, she stepped up against holly and got beat she stepped up against another true female all time great and got stopped ugly.

The only notable fighter Ronda beat was cupcake, her resume is horrendous.
She beat Zingano who beat Nunes and Tate.

Not even the best female fighter, much less best fighter ever

That short-lived, moderate level of stardom completely turned her mind out - wild. It's for her own health that she sabotaged it all; likely would have ended up dead or institutionalized otherwise. She may have had/still has neurological deficits from incurred damage, but she also has narcissistic personality disorder at the very least. One was significantly more damaging to her career than the other...

I take it she was joking.

As for her resume she beat three girls who beat Nunes and took less than a minute - in total! - to do so.

She's not wrong. How many people have claimed both WWE and UFC titles?

Brock and Ronda, and that's it
Meh. While he only made it to contender status in ufc, CM Punk is more impressive for winning the WWE title at his weight

The Nunes excuse makes some sense at least: I was out 3 seconds in, ok. But the stairs thing (Holly) only makes sense if she got flash KOd though. Stairs don't downgrade your striking skills to look ridiculous for 7 minutes straight, and that was the problem in that fight rather than the ending.

Weird. Her personality type would suggest she'd blame the real culprit (Edmond) but she never did/maintained loyalty for a striking charlatan that derailed the career of an elite grappler by lying to her promising she was a boxing great. Truly horrible coach.

Weird. Her personality type would suggest she'd blame the real culprit (Edmond) but she never did/maintained loyalty for a striking charlatan that derailed the career of an elite grappler by lying to her promising she was a boxing great. Truly horrible coach.

Did Rousey have the worst coach of any champion in UFC history? It seems like she would've been better off with no coach than with Tarverdyan.

Brother this is bad. Is this the new shits? Come back 7 years laters after getting knocked into Siberia twice and state confidently you are best ever? Ronda you are the best evers ok? We definitely didn't see you fight average white women for the entirety of your career.
Maybe she spent too much time in WWE,,, see still trying to make a Narrative.. shrugs

That short-lived, moderate level of stardom completely turned her mind out - wild. It's for her own health that she sabotaged it all; likely would have ended up dead or institutionalized otherwise. She may have had/still has neurological deficits from incurred damage, but she also has narcissistic personality disorder at the very least. One was significantly more damaging to her career than the other...
Moderate?? Ronda was everywhere. Nothin moderate about it. It wasn't short lived. It was years.

I largely agree except that I do think the game passed her by. She refused to learn new skills or train with new people. She let Edmund build her ego and convince her she could strike as well as grapple. And a lot of people got caught up in that. Her judo skills aren't even questionable, but this is MMA, not judo. Armbars aren't enough to compete with well rounded fighters, and Holly proved it. Beyond her striking ability, Holly also trained at a good gym with intelligent coaches and worked on her game in every aspect.

What new skills did Ronda ever learn?

She had the potential to be much better than she was, but like too many others she never felt the need to evolve.

IMO she wasnt capable of learning those skills. Some shit you cant teach to certain people. Brock Lesnar IMO was NEVER going to look like a good boxer, no matter how much he trained (and he couldnt take a punch very well either) and I put Rhonda in that same cat. The second I saw her throw a punch in that viral gif I knew she's was a one trick pony. I dont believe any amount of training was going ot make her better than she was.

She could come in and still probably beat half of BW.. its barely evolved.

Miesha Tate is still relevant 10 years after Rousey beat her.

Reactions: HHJ
Back