Elections Ronna McDaniel resigns as GOP chair. Forced out by Trump. Trump putting his guy as replacement and daughter-in-law as co-chair

Trump supported MacDaniels though, just a year ago.

The reason why she is stepping down is pertinent, i.e. Trump wants Whatley in as Chair. She is clearly stepping down because he doesn't want her.
Also his statement may have been under the assumption that she does step down, given the history of them stepping down after the candidate is determined and her assertion that it's always been her intention to step down in the first place.

She said she's stepping down because that's what historically all chairs of both the RNC and DNC do.

From your OP:

I don't see why we shouldn't believe her, given the fact that it's completely normal in both the DNC and RNC for this to happen. Also Trump might prefer someone else, that's his right to do so. Given the fact that the GOP have lost house, senate and governor seats under her leadership, I don't see why he wouldn't prefer someone else. Also her famous republican uncle has said he would not vote for Trump over Biden; that only adds to the reasons why Trump would prefer someone else. Nothing in this story is abnormal or illogical.
She said she is stepping down because the nominee gets to choose.
And who is the nominee..Trump ofcourse
And who does Trump want as the Chair..his guy from North Carolina, and Lara Trump as co-chair.

The point is she is stepping down because Trump - the nominee - wants her to step down. He supported her in 2023 but not now.

And who does Trump want as the Chair..his guy from North Carolina, and Lara Trump as co-chair.

The point is she is stepping down because Trump - the nominee - wants her to step down. He supported her in 2023 but not now.
And how does this differ from any other president in the past century? Except the fact that she has been a failure for the GOP as well.

so

And how does this differ from any other president in the past century? Except the fact that she has been a failure for the GOP as well.
I like to see evidence that every single presidential frontrunner has replaced the Chair even when the Chair supports them. Keep in mind that MacDanials is a Trump supporter; so we are not talking here of a Chair opposed to the nominee. It would make sense for him to oust her if she was opposed to him.

Reince Priebus was chair from 2011 to 2017. Obviously Trump didn't oust him in 2016.

I like to see evidence that every single presidential frontrunner has replaced the Chair even when the Chair supports them. Keep in mind that MacDanials is a Trump supporter; so we are not talking here of a Chair opposed to the nominee. It would make sense for him to oust her if she was opposed to him.

Reince Priebus was chair from 2011 to 2017. Obviously Trump didn't oust him in 2016.
Just look through the previous RNC/DNC chairs. They all tend to serve at most at most 4 years (many serve much less).

Reince Preibus is the one exception it seems. But he actually goes against what you are saying because he initially was initially against Trump as the nominee in 2016 and criticized him on multiple occasions.

Although I don't think it's because Trump is some virtuous guy who lets people who oppose him stay in their positions. It was probably more because he was a political amateur and didn't have much clout in the Republican party at the time. But it doesn't help your point at all that the one guy who stayed for two presidential nominations was a guy who didn't like Trump.

Do you think Obama abandoned Tim Keane when he stepped down as DNC chair, even though he won his first election by a wide margin?

Just look through the previous RNC/DNC chairs. They all tend to serve at most at most 4 years (many serve much less).

Reince Preibus is the one exception it seems. But he actually goes against what you are saying because he initially was initially against Trump as the nominee in 2016 and criticized him on multiple occasions.

Although I don't think it's because Trump is some virtuous guy who lets people who oppose him stay in their positions. It was probably more because he was a political amateur and didn't have much clout in the Republican party at the time. But it doesn't help your point at all that the one guy who stayed for two presidential nominations was a guy who didn't like Trump.

Do you think Obama abandoned Tim Keane when he stepped down as DNC chair, even though he won his first election by a wide margin?

Priebus was the last Chair (before MacDaniels). Why did Trump support MacDaniels in 2023 only to now oppose her? He found someone else he prefers.

There is no indication MacDaniels is resigning because she wants to. She is resigning because Trump wants her out.

Now add to this Trump wanting his daughter-in-law as co-chair and she wanting to use RNC funds to pay his legal bills and you see how Trump's case is different from all the others. Trump wants to pack the RNC with loyalits and sycophants. I can't think of another GOP nominee and ex-president who had this much power over the GOP.

Priebus was the last Chair (before MacDaniels). Why did Trump support MacDaniels in 2023 only to now oppose her? He found someone else he prefers.

There is no indication MacDaniels is resigning because she wants to. She is resigning because Trump wants her out.

Now add to this Trump wanting his daughter-in-law as co-chair and she wanting to use RNC funds to pay his legal bills and you see how Trump's case is different from all the others. Trump wants to pack the RNC with loyalits and sycophants. I can't think of another GOP nominee and ex-president who had this much power over the GOP.
Her very quote in your OP, she indicates she is voluntarily stepping down as has always been her intention one a candidate was nominated. Trump will be the candidate, so she is stepping down as she has said and has historically happened.

Him preferring someone else doesn't preclude him supporting her. Again this isn't anything unusual. Obama still supported Tim Kaine when he stepped down from the DNC chair and was replaced by Donna Brazile.

And there's plenty of reasons to prefer other candidates. She hasn't been an effective GOP chair. Republicans have lost a lot of ground with her as GOP head. Trump could prefer another candidate because he thinks they will help the GOP perform better.

Also she was not very good at fundraising either:
But in 2023, the RNC had its worst fundraising year in a decade, and it entered 2024 with just $8 million in its coffers, its lowest cash on hand since 2014, according to FEC reports.
There's plenty of perfectly legitimate reasons for Trump to prefer someone else over her.

Last edited:
Back