Media Royce Gracie on the JRE

You’re not my dad !!!
No seriously, I obviously expected such reactions, but in the end, it’s mostly about the music. It’s hard to dissociate that with that part of my life, but let’s not talk about that further.
I mean, hey, if you want to give money to Jeff Bezos instead of Daniel Ek and Martin Lorentzon, who am I to judge you? You've been a miner for a brain of mold.

Is Joe's deal with Spotify over? I keep seeing the full show released on youtube.
I swear I thought he extended the deal, but maybe not? Or perhaps he's allowed to do both now similar to other podcasts?
Yes, they basically paid him $300 million to keep it exclusive to spotify for a year which giga pumped their subscriber numbers.
Now the exclusivity deal is over and he can put out the show wherever he wants. His first one back on youtube was Katt Williams which did like 20 million views. Out of all the people associated with MMA throughout its history, Rogan may have made out the best out of all of them.

The one question Rogan won't ask is why he felt the need to go full juicer against Sakuraba. One of the weirdest moments in the history of MMA. If there was a dude who I would've said wouldn't take steroids, it was Royce. It was one of those moments where I thought well f$ck, everyone's an asshole. Royce is human, but damn it sure was disappointing.

I've wondered the same thing. Also I thought they didn't test for it.

Who said he's my favorite?

He's my favorite. And if Saku was taking PEDs, he clearly wasn't doing it right.

If you think that's the first time Royce took steroids I've got a bridge to sell you. Everyone was on steroids back then.

And also a bit silly to clutch your pearls on Sakuraba's behalf given Sak spent his career fighting HW and LHW monsters in a PED free-for-all while Royce was genuine WW-sized when he competed in the UFC.

Imagine fighting Vitor, Cro Cop, Wanderlei, Vov, Arona, Rampage, Randleman, Lil Nog etc. and then being afraid of Royce because he has taken some sauce.

Cool hearing Rogan talk about how he started out BJJ in Torrance, CA in the 90s.

I guess sometime in the late 90s he switched to Jean Jacque Machado's gym in Tarzana, where he met Eddie Bravo.

I remember my intro to Rogan was seeing him post in the UG forums around 2001 or 2002, where he was raving about Eddie Bravo's rubber guard style, making a bunch of threads promoting it. At the time I had no idea who Rogan was.

I remember the seminar days when very few knew who the Gracie’s were except hardcores. I broke a toe rolling in front of Rickson but showed no pain until he walked off lol . It messed me up for a while!

Neil Young must be a huge bitch.
Maybe, actually, I mean I don't know the guy ; he does sound old and grumpy though, and has been quite vocal indeed about how he deserves every penny he’s got, then more. Which supposedly annoyed people that grew during an era when, I think, music was thought (well, hoped) to be about more than cash. Mind you, he also has a 50-60 year long career, which is probably more than enough to make half the earth hate you. IIRC he isn’t bothered by people liking him, he’s got enough fans to live comfortably anyway...

I've wondered the same thing. Also I thought they didn't test for it.

He's my favorite. And if Saku was taking PEDs, he clearly wasn't doing it right.
He was a pro wrestler, so chances are he was on something. Gotta remember that Josh Barnett was always built like shit despite being the record holder for most failed drug tests in MMA history.

When I first watched UFC 1 as a kid I was rooting so hard for Royce to get battered.

Now when I watch it in retrospect I can't help but admire Royce's skills for his day and how he blazed through everyone.
The proper reaction is the opposite. Royce had been training BJJ since he was a toddler and had dozens of Gracie Challenge matches under his belts before the UFC. He had a huge edge over the others and the "small guy in pajamas" thing was pure marketing. Most of us early fans had that figured out just after UFC 1 & 2 and were hoping to see Royce lose. We also called his uncle Whorian for his clear conflict of interest.

It's also been well confirmed that rules and pre-conditions were set up in Royce's favor.

Last edited:
Back