Media Royce Gracie on the JRE

If you read my post which you quoted, I said Royce most likely would've beaten a fresh Gordeau as well. Royce was the only one who had trained all his life for true no-holds-barred type events. But one-gloved Jimmerson was a joke (he probably would've even lost to the sumo) and a 1st round Gordeau would've been much more dangerou.
Jimmerson or any other boxer for that matter would have lost regardless. He's the one who chose to come out with one glove. It was important to have him there because at that time the majority of Americans still believed boxing was superior to other martial arts. Grappling wasn't respected the way it is today. Even today you still see people fantasizing about boxers beating MMA guys in a street fight, even on sherdog (see the reactions to Ngannou's loss to Joshua).

No pure striker was winning that tournament. Another BJJ practitioner definitely could have, maybe a high level judo or sambo guy. But the Gracies did it first and the rest is history.

Jimmerson or any other boxer for that matter would have lost regardless. He's the one who chose to come out with one glove. It was important to have him there because at that time the majority of Americans still believed boxing was superior to other martial arts. Grappling wasn't respected the way it is today. Even today you still see people fantasizing about boxers beating MMA guys in a street fight, even on sherdog (see the reactions to Ngannou's loss to Joshua).

No pure striker was winning that tournament. Another BJJ practitioner definitely could have, maybe a high level judo or sambo guy. But the Gracies did it first and the rest is history.
What exactly did Royce do after a 13-month win streak in the earliest UFCs...in which they intentionally didn't invite guys like Ruas, Oleg Taktarov, etc, much less other BJJ fighters? He had to cheat to win his biggest fights later (roided for Sakuraba rematch, knee'd Ken Shamrock in the groin in their final fight). I guess he was just keeping up with the Gracie family tradition.

What exactly did Royce do after a 13-month win streak in the earliest UFCs...in which they intentionally didn't invite guys like Ruas, Oleg Taktarov, etc, much less other BJJ fighters? He had to cheat to win his biggest fights later (roided for Sakuraba rematch, knee'd Ken Shamrock in the groin in their final fight). I guess he was just keeping up with the Gracie family tradition.

Not sure what the point of this post is when I literally just pointed out that another BJJ guy or a high level sambo or judo guy could have won the tournament. Royce was specifically chosen because he was smaller and weaker than other Gracies, to display how BJJ was superior to other martial arts. It did exactly that, and is the martial art virtually everyone trains in today.

bunch of morans here

They even call Kimura a Jui-Jitsu fighter, which Rener certainly knows the difference. Kimura was a judoka, but they called him a JJ fighter so as not to tarnish their propaganda that no other style can beat JJ
Did the same thing when Matt Hughes beat him. Called it a victory for jiu jitsu since Hughes used jits in their fights lol

WHERES MY JRE FRIDAY EPISODE, JOE?

jor rogan strokin in the woods with a crossbow smh.

The one question Rogan won't ask is why he felt the need to go full juicer against Sakuraba. One of the weirdest moments in the history of MMA. If there was a dude who I would've said wouldn't take steroids, it was Royce. It was one of those moments where I thought well f$ck, everyone's an asshole. Royce is human, but damn it sure was disappointing.
<JagsKiddingMe>

What does this even mean?

But why would new subscribers join spotify just to listen to Rogan when they can listen to him on other platforms? Trying to understand what Spotify gains here by not having exclusive rights.

Advertisers probably.

The Joe Rogan Experience had around 190 million monthly downloads on average pre-Spotify deal. CNN reported that nearly half (approximately 42%) of Spotify's podcast listeners tuned into the Joe Rogan Experience show. The episodes with Jordan Peterson are some of the most listened to with over 9 million views each.

That's from April. Sounds like they've probably already made their investment back or will soon so they probably don't need to continue spending for exclusivity. or risk losing him

I've wondered the same thing. Also I thought they didn't test for it.

He's my favorite. And if Saku was taking PEDs, he clearly wasn't doing it right.

Royce weighed in that sakurabs fight at 188 lbs 10 lbs heavier than he was for any other fight with veins in his arms

It's also worth pointing out that Gordeau, the best striker in the event, had a broken hand and foot when he fought Royce in the final. I think Royce still would've likely beaten him and the other strikers (Pat Smith, Frazier, Rosier). But pairing Royce against a one-gloved boxer (who was supposed to "grapple" with his other hand, even though he had zero grappling experience) was an easy, low-risk first fight for Royce. Jimmerson had also gotten destroyed in a hybrid boxing/kickboxing match priror to UFC 1 by Don "the Dragon" Wilson.

Speaking of Gordeau...supposedly he was going to be Royces first oponent.

But when they saw that some Japanese press was there to cover him, due to the fact that Gordeau had previously been in Japan doing some hybrid/wrestling bouts they switched places because they realized that he had some experience with Ground Fighting.

Reactions: mkt
Is Joe's deal with Spotify over? I keep seeing the full show released on youtube.
It's still on Spotify, I just watched the Sebastian Maniscalco episode there a couple of days ago.

Also, google gave me this result from february of this year: "Last Friday, Spotify announced a multiyear deal renewal with Rogan that is worth as much as $250 million. Under the new pact, “The Joe Rogan Experience” will be widely distributed to third-party platforms including Apple Podcasts, YouTube and Amazon Music."

clicked expecting to watch a 2 minute clip and now i'm 13 minutes in and this video is great so far!

I remember the seminar days when very few knew who the Gracie’s were except hardcores. I broke a toe rolling in front of Rickson but showed no pain until he walked off lol . It messed me up for a while!

Hell yea, much respect for understanding and honoring the Gracie mentality. There have never or will ever be anyone with legitimate claim to be more hardcore fighters than the Gracies. Those dudes would literally rather die than submit to an opponent and repeatedly proved it taking seriously damaging injuries without quitting or showing pain.

Haven't listened yet, still recovering from the Terrence Howard one, but I'm gonna guess that at one point Joe starts talking about his awful ideas for rule changes that would kill the sport?

Yeah i remember that, and Spotify is more susceptible to social pressure since they're a Swedish company and don't have the free speech anything goes approach of the US.
Spotify renewed Rogan in February for a multiyear deal , paying him $250 million + a cut of Ad revenue and this deal also removes exclusivity so he can be on Apple and youtube as well.

It's also considered a "loss-leader", where they hope that some of Joe's audience will find their way to Spotify as a main listening hub, then start listening on other stuff through their service and thus generate activity. It is part of the "get people in, make them stay" approach to marketing.
From a pure business perspective it makes sense. They want to compete with Amazon and Apple on audio delivery platform.

Joe Rogan is paid by the amount of people subscribing to him. It’s a benefit in terms of income and advertising.

Back