International Russia/Ukraine Megathread V12

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Ukraine still had nukes there would not be a war right now.

Look at North Korea as an example.

Had Iraq or Afghanistan demonstrated possession of working nukes, US likewise would not have invaded regardless of Sept 11 or anything else short of them using their nukes on another nation.

Did Ukraine ever actually have the ability to use those Nukes? they were stationed in Ukraine but I'm guessing that the ability to launch them may have been held by elements which ended up in the Russian military?

Reactions: Cid
Did Ukraine ever actually have the ability to use those Nukes? they were stationed in Ukraine but I'm guessing that the ability to launch them may have been held by elements which ended up in the Russian military?

Given enough time they would had figured out how to use them, the hard part which is procuring the weapons grade material and developing the delivery systems were already done.

Combat Kayak? What a world.

That looks like the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

Traffic on this thread now down to the single digits. Why is that?

By using uranium mined in areas west had ceded to Stalin they produced plutonium and in 1949 they had started to bully allies and launched huge anti-western propaganda.
Yeah, it was a real surprise to the US. The first successful test happened in August of 1949. Called RDS-1 or “First Lightning.”
RDS1.jpg

Similar to the 'Fat Man' bomb dropped in Nagasaki. Implosion method of Plutonium 239, 21 kilotons.

Last edited:
Traffic on this thread now down to the single digits. Why is that?

Everything has been said really, thats why im little less here compared to early threads if talking about myself.

Militarily not much movement

All discussions about politics conserning conflict have been said, its basically on repeat

Same for discussion about morality/ethics of this conflict, repeating same stuff

All wild predictions for future have been made

Now we are down to posting news really

(Honestly wagner uprising was the most interesting part of past few months)

Might it have something to do with the fact there hasn’t been a "major" development in recent months?
Maybe.
Why hasn't there been major developments in the recent months? Russia is sitting in their defensive positions waiting for the Ukrainian offensive. What exactly is Ukraine waiting for? Winter to arrive?

Had Iraq or Afghanistan demonstrated possession of working nukes, US likewise would not have invaded regardless of Sept 11 or anything else short of them using their nukes on another nation.
Yes, but Pakistan sells their nukes to basically anyone who wants to buy them. It is a corrupt country with a thriving black market in weapons. Saudi Arabia has already done just that. I believe they purchase close to a dozen nukes. Nukes in an operational missile. What is keeping Zelensky from doing the same? He has the money. The US gave it to him.

Maybe.
Why hasn't there been major developments in the recent months? Russia is sitting in their defensive positions waiting for the Ukrainian offensive. What exactly is Ukraine waiting for? Winter to arrive?
So you've been asleep since june?
Ukraine has started their offensive in june.
They tried to storm through the defenses head on initially (ala Kharkiv), that failed.
Now they have moved on to an attrition style approach (ala Kherson).
Will it work this time? We don't know, the defense has had alot more time to prepare this time around, so we'll see.

But yeah, this will come across as "uneventful" for the casual observer, so i personally wouldnt be too surprised to see less traffic in here.

I hope this helped you understand why the number of posts might have dropped.

There’s no way a peace deal is going to be reached. Putin can’t pull out without claiming new land or he will be ousted out of power. Ukraine isn’t willing to surrender their land.
Then Ukraine has lost this conflict.
I think Putin has claimed enough land in Ukraine. Russia can settle for what it currently has. The Russian people want to see an end to this conflict as well.

Ukraine has started their offensive in june.
They tried to storm through the defenses head on initially (ala Kharkiv), that failed.
Now they have moved on to an attrition style approach (ala Kherson).
Will it work this time? We don't know, the defense has had a lot more time to prepare this time around, so we'll see.
"Attrition style approach." Of whom? The Russians or the Ukrainians? Lots of attrition in the Ukrainian Army these days. Who do you think takes more losses when attacking a fortified defensive position?

Will it work this time? We don't know, the defense has had alot more time to prepare this time around, so we'll see.
How exactly is the Ukrainian Army planning to get through this - moving South? Mines, obstacles, concertina wire, and trenches. All backed up by heavy Russian artillery and Russian snipers. Americans on D Day came nowhere near this level of defense in Omaha beach.
Pryatykhatky%20and%20Robotyne%20Battle%20Map%20Draft%20August%204%2C2023.png

"Attrition style approach." Of whom? The Russians or the Ukrainians? Lots of attrition in the Ukrainian Army these days. Who do you think takes more losses when attacking a fortified defensive position?
In a head on attack, the attacking side should lose considerably more than the defending side. (See the first week of the counteroffensive)
Since then they have switched their approach.
They appear to be focussing on taking out artillery, since they are in a postion where they seemingly can out perform the Russians in counterbattery fire.
In addition to that they seem quite adept at taking out logistics in the long range.
We'll see if it's enough.

They appear to be focussing on taking out artillery, since they are in a postion where they seemingly can out perform the Russians in counterbattery fire.
Traffic is back up.
Where is the Ukrainian artillery ammo coming from? I thought these guys were down to 5% of their stock. Saving it for a rainy day.
Someone posted something about Ukraine using Iranian shells. How is the Ukrainian Army getting Iranian shells for their artillery?

* Edit: The shells were confiscated from the Russians.

But yeah, this will come across as "uneventful" for the casual observer, so i personally wouldnt be too surprised to see less traffic in here.
I hope this helped you understand why the number of posts might have dropped.
Uneventful?
ISW, Russian/Ukraine Conflict Campaign Assessment, 4 August 2023
Key Takeaways:
  • Ukrainian forces conducted a series of aerial and naval drone strikes against Russian logistics and port infrastructure in occupied Crimea and Krasnodar Krai (a key Russian naval base) on the night of August 3 to 4.
  • Ukrainian forces conducted counteroffensive operations on at least three sectors of the front on August 4.
  • Russian forces conducted offensive operations along the Kupyansk-Svatove-Kreminna line, near Bakhmut, in the Zaporizhia-Donetsk Oblast border area, and in western Zaporizhia Oblast on August 4 and made advances in certain areas.

Given enough time they would had figured out how to use them, the hard part which is procuring the weapons grade material and developing the delivery systems were already done.
I think he was talking about access to the nuclear missiles. Similar to what the US has in Germany. Büchel Air Base, a German military air base where the US has the 702 Munitions Support Squadron of the United States Air Force. The nukes are under US control in Germany. I believe the nukes were under Russian control in Ukraine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back