Media Russian MMA ain't what it used to be

maximmm

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Started off with a dude kicking the ring girl - when the fight ended, it got even worse - brawl in the ring - but at least this promotion banned him for life.

That did not end there though - perhaps that's why those 2 fellows got banned for life. You are looking at war between tribes here. One tribe is ultra-conservative, which in this context means people who think women's place is in the kitchen and every fight is a street fight. The other tribe is more liberal - willing to defend women and recognizes the difference between sport and street fight, thus seriously pissed off at the fellows who aren't as intelligent in that regard.

This fight had a fellow punch the winner in the face after the fight was over - the promotion, rather than banning him, offered him a rematch. Think about that for a moment.

Same fellow as above, randomly chocking a dude out during the 'press conference', if you want to call it that. Seems like a very cheap, low cost promotion - pop-MMA most likely, as they are now called in Russia. I saw a few other bits from this promotion - all in the same vein - seems like this is how they make money, offering the most controversial 'fighters' fights - WWE disguised as MMA, though I suspect the fights are real - very low quality of fighters - all about controversy - being shown on TV.

Last edited:
Seems like it is exactly as it used to be... Have you ever watched a russian mma event before?
I saw it in its early days - before pop-MMA moved in and turned it all into a shit-show.

It’s not all like that. In fact, the minority of it is like that.

What a shitshow haha. The guys in the black masks.. The presser where the guy uses a guy as a human shield to defend the chair throw.. This is top tier entertainment.

Not sure why the Armenian guy got mobbed by a gang afterwards? Maybe someone can share context.

Russian MMA is wild.

Not sure why the Armenian guy got mobbed by a gang afterwards? Maybe someone can share context.

Russian MMA is wild.

And just wait 3-4 years.
They'll have Emelianenko fighting 4 north korean kids at the same time. Winner gets a sack of potatoes and is not sent to the front.

Russian MMA is wild.

Geez Louise, poor Maria looks like she's in a freakin hostage video

What a shitshow haha. The guys in the black masks.. The presser where the guy uses a guy as a human shield to defend the chair throw.. This is top tier entertainment.
I disagree. It's like the fox news of news 15 years ago (until every single mainstream news outlet started following the exact same template, due to its success). A fine mix of WWE and MMA, though just like with UFC, I'm not sure how many of those grudge matches are scripted or if they are simply picking wanna be fighters off the streets who have no idea what sport actually means and setting them up against each other. If pop-mma becomes the more profitable model, then I can see every other mma organization slowly turning into the same thing over time - again, just like every news outlet became fox news, just of different political leanings.

That.... would not be a good thing, because it degrades sport, the idea of honorable competition and does great harm to society on the whole - society which is already on the verge of collapse due to gaslighting in science, biology, philosophy, politics, legal system, etc. In fact.... given everything else that's currently happening, I would say if pop-mma becomes the norm, then it would actually be a part of the new normal trend. Yep - I'm calling it now. I suspect this kind of shit will become the norm in near future in every mma organization. WWE buying out UFC was the first step - wait for pop-mma changes to come to the mma organization near you ^^

I disagree. It's like the fox news of news 15 years ago (until every single mainstream news outlet started following the exact same template, due to its success). A fine mix of WWE and MMA, though just like with UFC, I'm not sure how many of those grudge matches are scripted or if they are simply picking wanna be fighters off the streets who have no idea what sport actually means and setting them up against each other. If pop-mma becomes the more profitable model, then I can see every other mma organization slowly turning into the same thing over time - again, just like every news outlet became fox news, just of different political leanings.

That.... would not be a good thing, because it degrades sport, the idea of honorable competition and does great harm to society on the whole - society which is already on the verge of collapse due to gaslighting in science, biology, philosophy, politics, legal system, etc. In fact.... given everything else that's currently happening, I would say if pop-mma becomes the norm, then it would actually be a part of the new normal trend. Yep - I'm calling it now. I suspect this kind of shit will become the norm in near future in every mma organization. WWE buying out UFC was the first step - wait for pop-mma changes to come to the mma organization near you ^^
You're both right.

To be fair this is the rough equivalent of watching Fight Circus and saying that Muay Thai in Thailand just isn't what it used to be. There's lots of high level, legitimate, enhanced MMA going on in Russia. Just not in these stupid gimmick promotions.

Back