sakuraba vs mirko cro cop

Recently Nikita Kyrluv (wrong spelling) and Span felt off.

No hard strikes landed and a sub. It did feel off at least to me. Now where I say work but won't be suprised.

There's betting fixing going all in all sports

Man I love Saku, but I rewatched the Rampage Jackson fight the other day, and that has got to be a work. (I know it's already commonly thought, but still).

Very disappointing as it's one of his best wins..
Its not a work. There was some foul play as far as Pride with Page cutting weight,but the fight itself was real.

Man I love Saku, but I rewatched the Rampage Jackson fight the other day, and that has got to be a work. (I know it's already commonly thought, but still).

Next thing you'll tell me is that wrestling isn't real... :)

RkjMAl.gif

What's next, Unicorns aren't real..

cfb84b5341dcb76d66d5a23cd0c4af99.jpg

he, he.

Didn't Newton and Saki have an agreement to grapple only ? Like not to strike hard or alot ...i swear going into that fight they said they were gunna mostly grapple.. like a gentleman's agreement... like Holland and Wondeboy and the no grappling fight...

I could be wrong...but it doesnt make it a work ...just alittle gamesmenship between them

The crowd cheering a Saku takedown almost made me cry :)

It’s my understanding that Rampage was offered a bonus if he didn’t tap as Pride wanted to market him as some kind of uncontrollable wild man .
I think Sakuraba was made aware of this arrangement because that’s the only time I can remember him going for a triangle choke from the bottom, and of Sakuraba’s 19 career submission victories that’s the only one by choke .

thats right, Dariush was like a weaker, unmotivated version of himself. Sure Charles is a monster and i can't imagine Dariush taking a dive. So fights can look like that and still not be staged.

Looked totally real. Charles Was stronger on the ground, phisically. Stand up wise Darius got pierced, he looked basic, Charles looked sharp.

Now we gonna start claiming fights might be fixed if we don't like the result

Saku was way ahead of his time in grappling and wrestling, his single leg was godly and as we know, strikers fear the floor and can completely change stand up game.

How was Saku "ahead of his time" in wrestling in a sport that had already had Dan Severn and Mark Coleman as champs?

thats right, Dariush was like a weaker, unmotivated version of himself. Sure Charles is a monster and i can't imagine Dariush taking a dive. So fights can look like that and still not be staged.

Exactamundo sir.
Well said.

Nah, I think its the product of Rampage being pretty green and even more dependant on slams than latter in his career, I remember watching a pre Pride fight were he must slam the guy 10 times. I think it was pretty clear he was gassed after the followup to the armbar slam though which isnt really supprising.

Sakuraba had one of the fastest and sneakiest single leg takedown entries in the history of MMA. That and Mirko was still learning how to wrestle and defend takedowns. The Mirko from 2005 wasn't going to get taken down by Saku like the younger version of himself did.
Sure, but he was still less likely to be taken down by a double leg. Yet people tried that forever with no success

Sure, but he was still less likely to be taken down by a double leg. Yet people tried that forever with no success

By the time Mirko was developed as a mixed martial artist single leg and double leg takedowns were futile against him. Randleman and Colemam were both super powerful olymplic level wrestlers and they tried to shoot for his legs and got stuffed repeatedly. Only Fedor was able to take him down at that point and had to do it from the clinch, using sneaky sambo techniques. Mirkos legs and base were just too strong to go for his legs IMO- single or double.

Last edited:
Reactions: HHJ
Its not a work. There was some foul play as far as Pride with Page cutting weight,but the fight itself was real.

Saku vs Newton is the clearest work of his career. I’ll have to go back and watch the Rampage fight though. It did come out that Rampage was approached to throw the fight.

Edit:

Skimming through the fight, nothing stands out, whereas Newton-Saku is clear as day.

Nah, I think its the product of Rampage being pretty green and even more dependant on slams than latter in his career, I remember watching a pre Pride fight were he must slam the guy 10 times. I think it was pretty clear he was gassed after the followup to the armbar slam though which isnt really supprising.

It’s my understanding that Rampage was offered a bonus if he didn’t tap as Pride wanted to market him as some kind of uncontrollable wild man .
I think Sakuraba was made aware of this arrangement because that’s the only time I can remember him going for a triangle choke from the bottom, and of Sakuraba’s 19 career submission victories that’s the only one by choke .

Hell I have seen plenty of fights like that in the UFC.
Either way, there's no say to know.

I rewatched the fight and no longer think it was a work. War Saku.

Back