Sam Alvey: "The UFC pays us way more than we deserve."

he has a point... nobody bought any card for some new fighters or low end guys you have never heard of... noone ever... and early prelims most of the people who bought tickets don't even show up... and most of the people who watch free at home don't tune into the fights at 4 PM.... meaning all of those fighters lose the UFC money... I honestly think the stars are who deserve more than they get...

No one tunes in to see the end-of-the-bench players in any of the major pro sports either...and yet the minimum salaries in each of those leagues affords those players a good living and the ability to focus full-time on the job at hand.

He's semi-right about some stuff.

The undercard and prelims are mostly not driving sales.

Early in a fighters career they are trying to build stars, but that's not why they have Niel Magny or Wonderboy under contract.

What he's discounting is that if they were ONLY selling a main event no one would buy it. The UFC needs a lot of content to fill their production schedule and the quality of the undercard talent reflects on their brand, so at the very least those guys are the pillars holding up a multi billion dollar brand.

Also, while a fight may not be valuable to the brand today, it might be down the line. Conor vs Marcus Brimmage didn't feature any stars and it wasn't a fight they could plan on packaging into future productions when it happend. It turned out to be remarkably valuable content that they can use in all kinds of productions in perpetuity. Since that future value is unknowable at the time of production generalized aproximations have to be made but I'd be astonished if the UFC didn't know that every minute of fight content produced is worth X dollars over Y time.

So Sam said some accurate things but he doesn't get the bigger picture.

he has a point... nobody bought any card for some new fighters or low end guys you have never heard of... noone ever... and early prelims most of the people who bought tickets don't even show up... and most of the people who watch free at home don't tune into the fights at 4 PM.... meaning all of those fighters lose the UFC money... I honestly think the stars are who deserve more than they get...
What he says makes sense...superficially. But if you look deeper, his argument is completely flawed. Yes, it's true that very few people specifically tuned in to watch Sam Alvey fight. But the idea that people only tune in to watch the headliners is actually wrong. Sure, people are most interested in the headliners. But they tune in to watch a card full of fights. That's what differentiates the UFC from boxing.

If the UFC structured their product like boxing (i.e., a headliner plus one or two other insignificant fights), it wouldn't draw remotely close to the numbers it currently does. So while the specific names on the undercard might not draw viewers, the fact that there is an undercard full of fights draws viewers...and huge dollars. The UFC actually did a test-run with the boxing model with Cain-JDS on UFC on FOX 1...and it was complete disaster.

So yes, the guys on the undercard bring quite a bit of value. If anything, they're underpaid.

If you look close enough, you can see Pink Goofs arm all the way up Smilin Sams culo, operating his mouth like a sock puppet.

lol i looked him up on wikipedia and after 9 losses in a row he has won 2 fights and is the new Karate Combat HW champion

1853394632.jpg

Came to say this:
No one tunes in to see the end-of-the-bench players in any of the major pro sports either...and yet the minimum salaries in each of those leagues affords those players a good living and the ability to focus full-time on the job at hand.

What he says makes sense...superficially. But if you look deeper, his argument is completely flawed. Yes, it's true that very few people specifically tuned in to watch Sam Alvey fight. But the idea that people only tune in to watch the headliners is actually wrong. Sure, people are most interested in the headliners. But they tune in to watch a card full of fights. That's what differentiates the UFC from boxing.

If the UFC structured their product like boxing (i.e., a headliner plus one or two other insignificant fights), it wouldn't draw remotely close to the numbers it currently does. So while the specific names on the undercard might not draw viewers, the fact that there is an undercard full of fights draws viewers...and huge dollars. The UFC actually did a test-run with the boxing model with Cain-JDS on UFC on FOX 1...and it was complete disaster.

So yes, the guys on the undercard bring quite a bit of value. If anything, they're underpaid.

It's nice to know we have some reasonable and smart people here. MMA fans are not the smartest bunch as a group.

Also importantly, those bench players are DEVELOPING into the stars of tomorrow. And then they will "pay for themselves". Some will and most won't be stars in the end, but that's part of the business model.

Boots for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

CTE is catching up on Sam.

Your fights earn your worth and keep. If you think this way you're underselling your worth, look at Darren Elkins. Man brought us countless wars and to what end, barely making 250k if you include bonuses. Without it, it's almost under 100k and that's the show money.

You can't expect the UFC to give your worth because they run a business that wants to under pay you.

Last edited:
... not a great comparison mate... the UFC had total revenues of 1.3 Billion.... The New York Yankees, 1 team had revenues of 675 Million... they have 26 players... so umm... half the revenue for one team... and Millions of people try to become baseball professionals... thousands of people try to become professional fighters... we have seen time and time again that other fight promotions fail because they don't draw attention... even with former UFC stars... the UFC is what makes the money not the fighters... I hate to say it but its true... There are a few exceptions is why I said the stars should be paid more...

P.s. comparing to team sports is stupid because on a roster of 26 every member of an MLB team is a star... like unbelievably good at baseball... every fighter on a ufc card isn't even a great mixed martial artist... shit... Cody Mckenzie made it into the ufc and WON FIGHTS... guys off the street can literally beat his ass... if they don't try to take him down into his guillotine...

You don't watch an NFL game for the worst players on the roster but they still make almost a million dollars.

You don't watch an NFL game for the worst players on the roster but they still make almost a million dollars.
just discussed this with the baseball comparison... the bottom guy on an NFL team is way better at their sport than the bottom guy in the ufc... like WAY BETTER... those guys were studs through gradeschool, highschool, college.. then beat out other professional players for a roster spot... and its a team sport... you don't go to see tom brady... you go to see your team... For me... i go to watch the Arizona Cardinals lose... not the Kyler Murray...

more than he deserved for sure

even when he won or lost by KO his fights still somehow sucked

Probably just a matter of perspective. Sam's probably making way more money than he ever thought he could.

I remember talking to this waiter once from Mexico but his English was pretty good. My ex came out talking about how they don't make shit for money at this place. He was just like "I never thought I would ever make this much money in my life".

So sure maybe Sam is just a bootlicker or maybe he grew up dirt poor and is happy with his pay. He mentioned he got paid $70,000. Might surprise people to know that's a lot of money to some.

It's similar to my job now. I feel like I'm overpaid for what I do. Yet I'll talk to other people in my field and when they find out what I make they're like you should be making way more than that.

Confirmed Sam Alvey will be back in the UFC as a last minute replacement to fight Bo Nickal

Have they not already fought?

I swear there are 0-0 guys out there that beat Alvey in the UFC.

Back