Sam Alvey

It has a lot to do with the fact he's got a gimmick, and constantly spams interviews and social media with what a noble and just organisation UFC is, and how Dana is a prince amongst men.

In other words he's a stooge.
This

He won on Stone Cold Steve Austin’s broken skull obstacle course, so there’s that.

I don't understand how this guy hasn't been cut yet, when other (much younger and with more potential) fighters will go on a 3 fight losing streak and get cut.

bill-nye.gif
Shilling for the company along with a willingness to step up and be a last minute replacement whenever they need one at MW or LHW has its benefits.

He said they'd let him finish his contract (which is one more fight), but it seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll be gone afterwards, win or lose.

I think the UFC would be interesting if fighters got signed to 10-fight contracts, actually got minimum 3 fights per year, and the UFC couldn't cut them.

How cool would that be if some dude lost 7 in a row, then turned it around and won his last 3?

None of this 3 strikes, you're out BS.

I think the UFC would be interesting if fighters got signed to 10-fight contracts, actually got minimum 3 fights per year, and the UFC couldn't cut them.

How cool would that be if some dude lost 7 in a row, then turned it around and won his last 3?

None of this 3 strikes, you're out BS.
Worst case scenario, you'd have an underperformer on the roster for 3 years. Not bad, if you think about it.

I second this. Dude probably because he never says no to a fight, fights in multiple weight classes, short notice losses, talks great about UFC publicly andnis generally a pretty good guy/family man. They need to balance out all the assholes and criminals.
I third this. Fuck the haters. Sam is the man. I hope he wins his next one and gets a fat extension. We need more good guys like him
@cenksinan @USA!USA!

Imagine dozens of people making threads saying you shouldn’t have a job when you take any fight offered to entertain them? He got robbed in the draw he had and he’s openly against a fighters union. He’s probably never asked for a raise, He’s also always game to fight anyone and generally an exciting fighter. His employment is a combination of the above. Have no fear though his next fight is a tough one and he will surely be cut after that.

Imagine dozens of people making threads saying you shouldn’t have a job when you take any fight offered to entertain them? He got robbed in the draw he had and he’s openly against a fighters union. He’s probably never asked for a raise, He’s also always game to fight anyone and generally an exciting fighter. His employment is a combination of the above. Have no fear though his next fight is a tough one and he will surely be cut after that.
I never said he shouldn't be there.
It is aimed at the UFC's inconsistency.
I wish every fighter got this treatment

i was thinking due to his connections with team quest and just being a fan favorite and good guy the ufc was giving him an opportunity to earn enough to retire. extra chances and exrtra pay checks. but then i found out he has 6 kids. his losing streak is sad. hopefully he does well in retirement.
I think he still works constructions too. If he weren't a complete fucking idiot he would have had 1 or 2 kids max and probably been able to go the route you are mentioning, but the CTE seems strong with this guy.

Alvey has taken short notice fights, stayed relatively competitive or is a showcase for newer fighters. I miss the days where Pride used to bring in the guys to lose to make fun fights for fighters to stay active, like keep throwing in losers in there to give their main guy highlight reels. If anything Alvey represents how forgiving the UFC can be.

We like to joke about it but lets be real, how can someone lose 7 in a row and 4 of those by finish and still be signed?
It usually takes 2 or 3 to be snuffed.
It is not like he has some crazy entertaining fighting style nor a big following.
It can't be the pretentious smile that does the charm.

Alvey.jpg
There juste got to be THAT ONE guy who loses seven in a row with a lousy schtick but still happens to be in the UFC, and that's him. Someday he's gonna lose his mouthguard on his way to getting kneed in the face and he'll get cut instantly, and we're gonna be fucking mad too

We like to joke about it but lets be real, how can someone lose 7 in a row and 4 of those by finish and still be signed?
It usually takes 2 or 3 to be snuffed.
It is not like he has some crazy entertaining fighting style nor a big following.
It can't be the pretentious smile that does the charm.

Alvey.jpg
Honestly, I'm not sure. I really like Alvey, but he doesn't have merit to still be with the UFC in my opinion. He's never really an easy outting for anyone, but that doesn't quire justify a spot on the roster I feel. I'll certainly be pulling for him as a fan though -- his postfight interviews always bring a smile to me.

I think he still works constructions too. If he weren't a complete fucking idiot he would have had 1 or 2 kids max and probably been able to go the route you are mentioning, but the CTE seems strong with this guy.
yeah i thought he was setting up for life with a small family but sounds like he went all in. i guess he makes enough on the side too

Back