Sambo Belt System?

Jiujitsunoob

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a belt system in Sambo? I'm used to the Judo and BJJ belt systems, but I've only seen guys where blue, red, and black belts in sambo.

Are there white belts? Are the guys wearing black belts legit or is it some bullshido thing?

No belts. Red and bLue are just for compettion and they are usually reversable

I don't believe that mainstream Sambo has a belt system.

I have very very little knowledge about Sambo, so please excuse my ignorance.

I came across this site ( FIAS - Ranking System ) a while ago and they have all sorts of ranks. Are the ASA and FIAS different organisations , this being why the ASA doesn't use ranks?

I think Sambo offers ranks based on competition and contribution to the sport as opposed to a belt system.

I think belts are overrated although they do serve a purpose in relating approximate skill, it is a highly subjective system so one mans black belt can be another mans brown or purple.

Competition pretty much clears all that up.

I will concede however that BJJ has found a pretty decent way to combing the 2.

So, what do you make of all the "sambo blackbelts" running around the US?

A certain famous MMA guy I used to train under touted himself as a sambo blackbelt and he'd actually trained sambo with my coach and mentor Steve Smith--former sambo world champion--and so, no trying to start stuff, just asking, I asked Steve, "So, so and so is a sambo blackbelt, huh?"

He told me the same thing, no belts he knew of in sambo.

I guess its just something individual schools chose to do...? Does that sound right?

from what I know there are no belt ranks but they do have ranks. Like for instance I believe Fedor is a "master of sports". They have ranks like that...I think. Sambosteve would know much more.

Yes, the only universally accepted rank is the master of sport system which you get from competition or coaching acheivements. I have my MoS of Russia in Combat Sambo. They are generally given by country (mostly former soviet countries). Like MoS of Ukraine for example. MoS is given for many sports, not just sambo. They must be awarded by a recognized sport organization, not simply by an individual coach.

There have been organizations that tried to implement a belt system with little success. This is why you may find some older guys claiming ranks. But, they should tell you the same thing...that they are not universally accepted. Many schools have in-house ranks as well. So, I would use lineage as a guideline when you hear about a Sambo BB. Find out who awarded it, when, and under what criteria. This will tell you quite a bit. There are lots of bogus BBs around. BS distance programs, frauds, etc. Some "ranks" are legit but from older, now defunct organizations. So always ask lots of questions.

Yes, FIAS did try to create one and officially still has one, but nobody uses it...even in Russia. The only one that is internationally universally accepted is the Master of Sport system. Even if you look at the FIAS event results, nobody notes color ranks. Just the MoS system.

Someone is going to do a seminar near to where I love, who is a "purple belt", reportedly, in sambo...do you know what that would amount to...? Does that carry any particular meaning?

Someone is going to do a seminar near to where I love, who is a "purple belt", reportedly, in sambo...do you know what that would amount to...? Does that carry any particular meaning?

Who is it? Who gave it to them? I probably does not mean that much...

No belt system in Sambo or Combat Sambo, you need to fight in tournaments, and its the number of tournaments that you win that will give you a title. You choose your GI color red or blue when you start. I'm a "red" belt since day one, never changed lol.
Some fake gyms, or teachers to motivate their students, create a belt system. because i gotta admit having that feeling to go from brown to black belt must feel good. Tho on the other hand, i like the red belt haha

No belt system in Sambo or Combat Sambo, you need to fight in tournaments, and its the number of tournaments that you win that will give you a title. You choose your GI color red or blue when you start. I'm a "red" belt since day one, never changed lol.
Some fake gyms, or teachers to motivate their students, create a belt system. because i gotta admit having that feeling to go from brown to black belt must feel good. Tho on the other hand, i like the red belt haha

You're about 4 years too late for this thread. :wink:

holy-thread-revival-batman.jpg

The black belts are usually their judo belt cause they were lazy and forgot their sambo belt. Most likely situation.

I have a question, if you train in a hybrid form of judo/sambo, can you have a belt system that is of your own system of hybrid grappling?

I mean judo and sambo are similar and of course, not every judoka is a sambo user but all sambo users are to an extent judokas.

I have a question, if you train in a hybrid form of judo/sambo, can you have a belt system that is of your own system of hybrid grappling?

I mean judo and sambo are similar and of course, not every judoka is a sambo user but all sambo users are to an extent judokas.

Yes you can create your own system and own ranking structure. May not be respected everywhere but you can do it.

Additionally, FIAS approved a belt ranking system for sambo a few years ago. I think the plan was to roll it out slowly and I'm sure covid slowed everything down. Unsure if they are still rolling it out thought.

After a quick google search here is an article.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1093580/fias-ranking-system-belts-athletes-coach

Back