Rumored Sean Strickland vs Paulo Costa looks to be a done deal

Who would win that fight?

• Total voters
Yet another weird match up by the UFC. Costa should be ranked 8-10, coming off of a loss, and they reward him with an opportunity to fight the former champ? wtf

Regardless, its a good stylistic match up to get Sean back in the win column. Costa doesnt have the power to stop Sean, nor the stamina to last the full 5 rnds.

Probably a 3 round fight on UFC 302 in June if I had to guess, much more favorable for Costa than 5 rounds would be.
surely will be the main event so will be a 5 round fight

Good stylistic match up for Strickland. Costa doesnt have the power to stop Sean, nor the stamina to last the full 5 rnds.
People getting on Costa about the 5 rds thing need to watch some tape. Costa may have lost a 5 rd decision vs Vettori but he dominated the 5th round in an absolute war of attrition and slanging and banging. The only time he “gassed” was against Luke on a card (at elevation) where literally EVERYONE gassed except Merab. He is a powerful body puncher (and kicker) if this is 5 rds I bet he hurts Sean to the body and finishes him by 3/4. Sean’s high guard leaves a ton of openings for a body snatcher like Costa to exploit.

People getting on Costa about the 5 rds thing need to watch some tape. Costa may have lost a 5 rd decision vs Vettori but he dominated the 5th round in an absolute war of attrition and slanging and banging. The only time he “gassed” was against Luke on a card (at elevation) where literally EVERYONE gassed except Merab.

That was also a LHW Costa who didn't have to cut much weight, night and day difference to what he puts his body through to make middleweight.

People getting on Costa about the 5 rds thing need to watch some tape. Costa may have lost a 5 rd decision vs Vettori but he dominated the 5th round in an absolute war of attrition and slanging and banging. The only time he “gassed” was against Luke on a card (at elevation) where literally EVERYONE gassed except Merab.
Hows he gonna win this? hes a brute with bad fundamentals. Strickland will win this with a basic jab and calculated pressure. Costa doesnt have the power that his fans think he does.

The match up is bizarre, Costa should be fighting the likes of Imavov or Allen or someshit.

Hows he gonna win this? hes a brute with bad fundamentals. Strickland will win this with a basic jab and calculated pressure. Costa doesnt have the power that his fans think he does.

The match up is bizarre, Costa should be fighting the likes of Imavov or Allen or someshit.

Yeah pretty rare gets to fight further up the rankings after a loss. Strickland was an opponent that made sense for Costa if he beat Whittaker, not if he lost lol.

Overlooking that though it's a real fan friendly fun fight so it makes sense why UFC wanted it. Works as a co-main on a PPV much better than Strickland rematching Allen or Imavov.

I edited my last post with my answer before I saw this but to reiterate: Costa’s a fantastic body puncher when he catches an opponent using a high guard (which is literally what Strickland uses exclusively). Watch for him to land hard body kicks and combinations that start up top and finish to the body. He will bank these early and often until he breaks Sean. I actually feel the opposite of you that this matchup is tailor made for Costa to put on an incredible performance. Strickland doesn’t have the footwork to stay out of range consistently. He has a solid jab and relatively static movement with upright posture. Costa will get him to open up and hurt him. Sean will wilt in 3-4rds.

What gets me from this comment. Is this guy's an idiot, Costa brings some of thenmost feared knock out ability at 185!
He has heavvyyy hands

Problem is he's pulling a Romero he doesn't fire all that much anymore. Compared to what he used to do

He lands flush on Strickland and acts aggressive not stupid. He will knock Strickland out

That was also a LHW Costa who didn't have to cut much weight, night and day difference to what he puts his body through to make middleweight.
Solid point but even with that said show me a single example of Costa gassing out at the end of a fight (excluding Like at elevation).

surely will be the main event so will be a 5 round fight
Its not a title fight so it will be co-main at best (Islam/Poirier most likely the main event), they could make it 5 rounds though.

Costa getting the number one guy after losing to two, three and five is insane lol.
Not to mention his last ranked win was in 2019....
Yeah pretty rare gets to fight further up the rankings after a loss. Strickland was an opponent that made sense for Costa if he beat Whittaker, not if he lost lol.

Overlooking that though it's a real fan friendly fun fight so it makes sense why UFC wanted it. Works as a co-main on a PPV much better than Strickland rematching Allen or Imavov.
I love the Whittaker/Khamzat fight, but it kinda messed up a lot of matchups that would of worked better for the division.
Cuz now they're stuck with a lot of fights that don't make sense like this one and DDP/Izzy.
Something like this is where I thought they were potentially heading:
- DDP/Cannonier(Jared's the only guy in the top five on a win streak, plus fresh matchup)
- Izzy/Khamzat(fresh matchup that's awesome, winner possibly gets the next shot)
- Sean/Whittaker(fresh matchup that's also awesome, winner possibly gets the next shot)
- Costa/Imavov(fresh matchup that's interesting IMO, Costa has to defend his rank against a new contender and it gives a chance to have a potential new face with the top middleweights)

Back