Seated guard passes

Smato_rules

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I’m a blue belt about to test for purple in a couple months and am on that edge of being really good against my piers but need to evolve a bit to get to that next level. Where I am currently having issues with, and currently only against one guy/body type is seated guard. I like to pass butterfly on my knees with a body lock and have Lachlan’s dvd on the pass. I have very good success with it but now that the arm crunch has become popular at my gym it’s a real battle the whole time. I also have a really hard time beating this one guys knee because he’s so tall all while constantly attacking for the undertook and arm drags; he is a fantastic guard player and consistently beats top black belts in competitions.

I worked the over under for a few months extensively and had great results, other than against this guy. I just can’t seem to beat his knee line and he uses that hook on the over side to flip me to the under side

I love ti force half guard and do near side under hook passes, but this guy keeps fighting for his hooks and won’t concede half guard, all while fighting for the under hook and shoulder crunch sweeps.

What are some of your more advanced seated guard passes? Is there a way to get a double under from half guard because that would negate his hooks? Is there a butterfly guard tozi pass, the way I do body lock passes is pretty much a tozi pass but I’m not sure if there are other options? I would love to do headquarters passing but I can’t get inside position on him, and would I have to have him on his back for that?

Get an early shallow underhook and threathen the kneeslide, he will go on his back to counter and then you're gonna end up in headquarters position
for people that won't let me get inside position for headquarters I love to go to a knee staple pass. It's a slow grind and tough to do against good people for the first time but it works

Get an early shallow underhook and threathen the kneeslide, he will go on his back to counter and then you're gonna end up in headquarters position
for people that won't let me get inside position for headquarters I love to go to a knee staple pass. It's a slow grind and tough to do against good people for the first time but it works
So if I were leading with my right foot I would get an undertook with my right arm and try to knee slice with my right knee? When he defends my right knee will be in the middle of his legs so I can stand on that to get to headquarters? If not staple with my right knee? If so that makes a lot of sense and I remember a similar sequence with the knee cut and staple at my old gym in Florida, but that sounds like a big old wag to headquarters too. I appreciate it!

I am absolute dogshit at passing good players from this position.

I have seen a lot of people advocate for getting a one arm guillotine/underhook position to pass a strong seated guard. Obviously you cannot do this from your knees.

Roger describes passing butterfly, starting around 10:30

Step 1 is flatten them out, pin them down.

Do not allow the guard player to build or maintain posture.

Step 2 is kill / trap the hips.

He needs posture and hip mobility to attack you.

Deny all of it.

I’m a blue belt about to test for purple in a couple months and am on that edge of being really good against my piers but need to evolve a bit to get to that next level. Where I am currently having issues with, and currently only against one guy/body type is seated guard. I like to pass butterfly on my knees with a body lock and have Lachlan’s dvd on the pass. I have very good success with it but now that the arm crunch has become popular at my gym it’s a real battle the whole time. I also have a really hard time beating this one guys knee because he’s so tall all while constantly attacking for the undertook and arm drags; he is a fantastic guard player and consistently beats top black belts in competitions.

I worked the over under for a few months extensively and had great results, other than against this guy. I just can’t seem to beat his knee line and he uses that hook on the over side to flip me to the under side

I love ti force half guard and do near side under hook passes, but this guy keeps fighting for his hooks and won’t concede half guard, all while fighting for the under hook and shoulder crunch sweeps.

What are some of your more advanced seated guard passes? Is there a way to get a double under from half guard because that would negate his hooks? Is there a butterfly guard tozi pass, the way I do body lock passes is pretty much a tozi pass but I’m not sure if there are other options? I would love to do headquarters passing but I can’t get inside position on him, and would I have to have him on his back for that?
Jump for the guillotine, triangle or kimura when you can't beat someones guard. Skip the whole guard passing portion. Or put him on his back.

Ask this dude what he is doing to counter you and what he finds hard to defend when you do it.Then work together to make each others games better.
If you are hitting it on everyone else, he will be able to tell you what you are doing wrong with him specifically.

I stand if they are seated every single time, but that's because MMA.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had some success with the lead underhook and getting my knee in for a knee cut then stapling. I also had success trapping the arm in the body lock like in the Roger video. I’m still a bit nervous to go for rolling kimuras at the moment. This guys great we break down stuff every class together, and helped me find a way to free my arm in the shoulder crunch that works sometimes. I really like the leading with undertook and driving my knee in for the cut right now I think that’s gonna be my primary focus

I would lie if I said it's a move that I use frequently, but from the hq, the rolling kimura is just there. Like all the time. And it's not just a pass but ideally works immediately as a backtake. Or a crucifix potentially if your into that sort of thing.

I genuinely haven't thought of that one in a while, so might revisit it in one of the next sessions, but just from recollection all you really need is a 'far side overhook' and a dive. Collect the grip and stop the opponent from getting up. There isn't really a chance for the opponent to sweep, so realistically the worst thing to happen for you is ending up separating and going back to neutral.

I am absolute dogshit at passing good players from this position.

I have seen a lot of people advocate for getting a one arm guillotine/underhook position to pass a strong seated guard. Obviously you cannot do this from your knees.

Being confortable and having mobility in a low deep squat position is the key

you need to stand up enough to move but if you have no bodyweight pressure on the legs they can do whatever they want and get very good open guard or sweeps

I always squat super deep in my strenght training and in my warm ups. I better lift smaller weights and get a full ass to the grass squat than ego lift 50 lbs more

If that's not your thing then (tripoding, floating passes/active posting):

I do something like this. I do it a bit differently. Instead of gripping my own wrists, I grab his instep of the side I'm passing to with the opposite hand. So if I'm passing to my left his right, I'll grab his right foot with my right hand. I'll also, instead of jumping like Xande does, kick back with my right leg to get past his left foot, then since my right hand is already controlling his right foot, I just walk slowly, pressure style.

But this is Xande we're talking about here, so just do it the way he shows first, and then if you feel good with that try some of my details. But I'm not fucking Xande, so just do what he says.

If that's not your thing then (tripoding, floating passes/active posting):

I do this type of passing a lot but this one guy sweeps me to the under hook side. His hooks are so strong, but I’ve been watching Paul schriner (sp) videos on tripod passing that are very helpful. I’m gonna study this maia one again, it’s a classic

I do something like this. I do it a bit differently. Instead of gripping my own wrists, I grab his instep of the side I'm passing to with the opposite hand. So if I'm passing to my left his right, I'll grab his right foot with my right hand. I'll also, instead of jumping like Xande does, kick back with my right leg to get past his left foot, then since my right hand is already controlling his right foot, I just walk slowly, pressure style.

But this is Xande we're talking about here, so just do it the way he shows first, and then if you feel good with that try some of my details. But I'm not fucking Xande, so just do what he says.

I do it the same way as you grabbing the instep. It’s a great pass I do a lot against other guys it just gets tough with this guy as he is constantly sitting up and digging for the underhook for the shoulder crunch sweep. I’ve had some success with one arm over the leg and the other grabbing by the ankle too, but there’s a few details in this video that are really helpful too like the stance he takes

I do it the same way as you grabbing the instep. It’s a great pass I do a lot against other guys it just gets tough with this guy as he is constantly sitting up and digging for the underhook for the shoulder crunch sweep. I’ve had some success with one arm over the leg and the other grabbing by the ankle too, but there’s a few details in this video that are really helpful too like the stance he takes
That makes sense. Let's say you're passing left. I think you may need to dig your right arm in deeper, just punch it through and maintain very tight connection. Also, one difference for how I do it is that if I'm passing left, I'm also looking left.

One different pass that may work well for beating the underhook is a good Tozi pass. Actually, @Calibur has the best tutorial on it I've seen. When I started playing with it how he shows it, I got my back taken and caught in omoplatas and triangles a couple times, but once I got it tight and worked out the details, it became an almost sure pass, especially in no gi. The thing with it is that you get a very tight underhook yourself, so
He hasn't been active on here since last August so I just messaged him on FB. I'll come back and share it when/if he hits me back.

The closest to how he does it is the video by @lach
I like staying low like he shows, a lot of guys come up high. It works for them, I've just had better luck staying low.

This one is pretty cool too.

Back