Seconds Altering Course of Career

dcthegod

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I was thinking about a couple of instances where just a few seconds, or lack thereof, completely altered the course of someone's career.
couple examples I was thinking of:
- hooker having poirier out on his feet at the end of the second. 5 or 10 more seconds there and i think its a safe bet poirier gets TKO'ed. as a result of the round ending, hooker went on to take a hellacious beating that no doubt altered the rest of his career. he didn't look the same after that. if hooker finished him in the second, does he keep surging and end up with a title shot?
- izzy having poatan out on his feet at the end of the first. if izzy had another 5 or 10 seconds there and same thing, safe bet in a TKO stoppage. alex gets saved by the bell and the rest is history. if izzy tko's him in the first, does izzy then keep surging and go on to become the best middleweight of all time? he probably never ends up fighting strickland if first alex fight went that way

obviously, no way of telling what would've happened, but man, just a couple seconds in that octagon can completely change the trajectory of someone's career.

SPORT-PREVIEW-Tony-Ferguson-Face.jpg

I was thinking about a couple of instances where just a few seconds, or lack thereof, completely altered the course of someone's career.
couple examples I was thinking of:
- hooker having poirier out on his feet at the end of the second. 5 or 10 more seconds there and i think its a safe bet poirier gets TKO'ed. as a result of the round ending, hooker went on to take a hellacious beating that no doubt altered the rest of his career. he didn't look the same after that. if hooker finished him in the second, does he keep surging and end up with a title shot?
- izzy having poatan out on his feet at the end of the first. if izzy had another 5 or 10 seconds there and same thing, safe bet in a TKO stoppage. alex gets saved by the bell and the rest is history. if izzy tko's him in the first, does izzy then keep surging and go on to become the best middleweight of all time? he probably never ends up fighting strickland if first alex fight went that way

obviously, no way of telling what would've happened, but man, just a couple seconds in that octagon can completely change the trajectory of someone's career.
Tim Kennedy was fucking Yoel Romero up at the end of round 2 of their fight (albeit after an illegal glove grab, seemingly). Yoel then got a 90 second or so break in between rounds and won the fight in round 3. Kennedy retired shortly thereafter and Yoel is still fighting and has had multiple title shots.

Moicano fighting and dominating Brian Ortega for over 2 rounds then getting caught in a guillotine when he probably would've won if he kept the fight standing for the rest of the fight. Ortega went on to keep winning and has had multiple title shots since that win.

fergusons uppercut against gaethje at the end of the round.... i cry everytime
also at the end of the first against Chandler. in his corner you could FEEL the palpable hope and positivity. It looked like he was turnin it all around. Then just seconds into the next round...

GSP has said that loss was one of the best things that ever happened to him and made him a much better fighter. I kinda wonder if that is truth or if that is him just having a positive mindset. I tend to believe him, personally.
Yeh obviously he ended up having troubles even after eventually winning the title, so interesting to think what direction things would have gone had he won it the first time.

Moicano fighting and dominating Brian Ortega for over 2 rounds then getting caught in a guillotine when he probably would've won if he kept the fight standing for the rest of the fight. Ortega went on to keep winning and has had multiple title shots since that win.
All 3 judges gave Ortega round 1.

Usman losing to edwards with less than a minute left. His 6th title defense, record setting 16/17 wins in a row, plus he’d be 2-0 over edwards.

That loss devastated his career and shortened so many pivotal records for him

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sosadus
Back