Serious Movie Discussion XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I felt like that was what Fincher was going for, but it didn't work for me.

Started Peaky Blinders

Sorry Bullitt68 - I swear I'll get to Burn Notice this year, lmao.

Her voice overs were god awful skza. I hated them.

...i kinda thought Gone Girl was a dark comedy/drama with the joke being those two assholes are perfect for each other

Could be, but even in a dark sense, it failed to be humorous.

Well, after Martyrs it's time for the next film.

Basically i'm a compulsive buyer when it comes to blu-rays so I still have a big pile of unopened, unwatched ones.

So in your esteemed film buff opinions, which out of this lot do you think I should watch next?

I know it seems mental that I have all these unwatched films which I've purchased, but I do a lot of online surveys so I get a lot of Amazon vouchers which I use on films, and also when I get paid my first

Cant wait to see that film. Havent read any Pynchon yet either, but something tells me I would love it.

The Crying of Lot 49 is short as hell and is a great Pynchon prerequisite for Pynchon. Having read some Pynchon probably helps one to keep track of what is going on in Inherent Vice because you're used to having characters flung at you like a machine gun and the convoluted interconnectedness of everything. But really, acutely paying attention is all anyone needs to do to follow what is happening in the film.

Funniest moments for me were

the scene with Jena Malone, particularly when she describes how she met Owen Wilson and when she shows Phoenix the picture of their child. Phoenix's reaction there was laugh out loud funny. Pretty much any scene with Brolin was funny including the scene where his wife is chewing out Doc on the phone. Also, I was dying when Martin Short showed up. Would have liked to see more of him.

Keith Jardine like a fucking boss. Laughed out loud too with the guy at the mental health clinic/detox facility attempting to explain Jardines facial tattoo to Doc.

Chuckling for the world to hear just reading these and recalling the scenes. Doc's reaction to the photo is still hilarious despite expecting it due to trailer.

M
Santa Sangre
Rififi
Battleship Potemkin
Valhalla Rising
There Will Be Blood

M ...for monumental. When you consider this is Lang's first foray in synchronized sound you will be astonished. Nobody must have told Lang how complicated it was to use synchronized sound because he uses it like a fucking pro in 1931. Before Ricky spanks my buttocks for bringing film history into this, the film is also a great ride and Peter Lorre shines brightly. Dat kangaroo court scene.
Rififi because great French film noir heist film. The scene when they break into the jewelry store is something else. Very tense. You'll sweat equally as much as the actors. The film is very dedicated to the film noir conventions, so if your into that shit, jump on it.
There Will Be Blood because one of my favorite films of all time. Daniel Plainview is DDL's GOAT role.
Valhalla Rising because my favorite Refn film. The drone soundtrack and foggy landscapes. Yezzir.
Battleship Potemkin because Soviet montage is GOAT film movement and Eisenstein is just that dude.
Santa Sangre because Jodorowsky. Don't feel like there is anything else to say about that, really.

All of them because they make me feel warm on the inside like a croissant fresh out the oven. A strange kind of warm actually when you consider the films listed here. None of them are very warm at all.

Watch these films, bro. Immediately and without stopping. All at the same time even.

Last edited:
Okay, as a long time Aldo fan, after watching this event Im more afraid of the judges and refs than of Conors skills. If its equal playing field, Jose is going to wreck him.

Okay, as a long time Aldo fan, after watching this event Im more afraid of the judges and refs than of Conors skills. If its equal playing field, Jose is going to wreck him.

It'll be interesting, but i think Aldo is too fast and too good at countering.

If I'm wrong, Edgar is gonna whoop dat ass.

Yeah, after last night I'm actually more confident in Aldo.

I'd have to imagine he's gonna fight the winner of Aldo-McGregor. Definitely if Aldo wins.

Although Lamas/Mendes winner could be next if Conor is champ, being that they both have had public beef with him. I think both of those guys would beat him as well.

I'd have to imagine he's gonna fight the winner of Aldo-McGregor. Definitely if Aldo wins.

Although Lamas/Mendes winner could be next if Conor is champ, being that they both have had public beef with him. I think both of those guys would beat him as well.

Very good point. Hate to think Frankie will be sidelined until the fall but given there's no logical featherweight fight for him right now, it very well could be that they are going to have him sit out and wait for the next title shot after McGregor.

That said, it would be interesting, as you said, to think that if Aldo wins, Edgar gets the title shot but if Conor wins, Lamas/Mendes winner gets the title shot.

I think Conor is very talented and I like his confidence in the cage. He looked great against Siver but, once again, he definitely does get tagged. Even when Siver was getting hurt and clearly getting the worse of things, he was throwing back and occasionally landing on McGregor. The dude wasn't fazed at all but you have to think that if someone like Aldo landed some counters on him, even his solid chin might be in trouble.

It's one of those interesting things where Aldo is by far more proven and seasoned against the much better competition but McGregor still seems dangerous purely because he poses something fresh that Aldo hasn't really faced in his past few title fights. McGregors volume, power, and reach all seem like they could at least make things interesting, even though Aldo is the superior fighter overall.

Cerrone vs. Bendo was like a sparring match but was relatively entertaining. I scored it for Ben but no one can really complain since Bendo is usually on the opposite side of the coin, getting the close but arguable decision win instead of losing it. I think he can still come back despite the back to back losses. He just seems less go for broke and a lot more risk averse than he did early in his career. That stands to reason, as you want to prolong your career but I was just shocked that he didn't even attempt a takedown on Cerrone.

I think some of his past three rounds fights were some of the ones where he poured it on the most and did the most damage- Guida and Jim Miller for example- I was expecting more of that mentality in his aggression but he fought that three round fight last night just like he's fought all his five round bouts of the past few years.

after watching sorcerer i think its slightly greater than wages of fear

Very good point. Hate to think Frankie will be sidelined until the fall but given there's no logical featherweight fight for him right now, it very well could be that they are going to have him sit out and wait for the next title shot after McGregor.

That said, it would be interesting, as you said, to think that if Aldo wins, Edgar gets the title shot but if Conor wins, Lamas/Mendes winner gets the title shot.

I think Conor is very talented and I like his confidence in the cage. He looked great against Siver but, once again, he definitely does get tagged. Even when Siver was getting hurt and clearly getting the worse of things, he was throwing back and occasionally landing on McGregor. The dude wasn't fazed at all but you have to think that if someone like Aldo landed some counters on him, even his solid chin might be in trouble.

It's one of those interesting things where Aldo is by far more proven and seasoned against the much better competition but McGregor still seems dangerous purely because he poses something fresh that Aldo hasn't really faced in his past few title fights. McGregors volume, power, and reach all seem like they could at least make things interesting, even though Aldo is the superior fighter overall.

Stylistically i think he matches up better against Aldo than he does against the trio of Edgar/Mendes/Lamas (who all have better striking than Siver).

I would have liked to see him fight Cub instead of Siver. Would have made this title shot legit (i think Edgar is getting screwed). Hell i think Cub got screwed out of a title shot. McGregor is just beating his victims.

Can't deny McGregors ability to hype a fight though. Aldo-McGregor will be the biggest fight this year no question...and i love that because fw has been my favorite division for a while. Aldo should be a bigger star. He's the most skilled fighter in the game IMO.

Well, after Martyrs it's time for the next film.

Basically i'm a compulsive buyer when it comes to blu-rays so I still have a big pile of unopened, unwatched ones.

So in your esteemed film buff opinions, which out of this lot do you think I should watch next?

I know it seems mental that I have all these unwatched films which I've purchased, but I do a lot of online surveys so I get a lot of Amazon vouchers which I use on films, and also when I get paid my first

really enjoyed Selma
Hobbit dragged on so unnecessarily
American Sniper is on deck for this week.

If anybody has seen "you're next" and dug it, check out "the guest". Same guys better movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back