Social Shane Gillis to host SNL this weekend.

His last special was great. The George Washington bit was hilarious. I don't remember any part of it falling flat.

I didn't know him when that whole controversy sprung up but he's legit talented and not just propped up for being passed on at this point. If you look online, the barrier to entry for comedy is nothing at this point. Some of the better sketch comics are on YouTube and TikTok and the better comedians are doing specials. SNL use to be where top talent went but I think now it's more of a place for prospects. Some come out of it with name recognition and a career and others are duds. Its just too easy to make your own content now to expect that show to hoard the top talent anymore.
Used to be a place where top talent went? Really? It's always been a place for prospects as far as I can tell. The list of people who became famous only after doing SNL is a mile long.

Haven’t watched SNL for probably 25+ years
Made it a point to watch the monologue
I definitely laughed at the jokes but the uncomfortableness made it that much better
I could feel it on my couch
Good stuff

Used to be a place where top talent went? Really? It's always been a place for prospects as far as I can tell. The list of people who became famous only after doing SNL is a mile long.
I guess from my age, the earlier folks always felt famous. Then it’s just they aren’t picking good talent or the platform isn’t capable of helping talent rise as much as it use to.

I guess from my age, the earlier folks always felt famous.
That's a product of the quality of the cast and writing. When SNL isn't making stars, it's safe to say that the show sucks and the people in it aren't up to snuff. It goes through phases. It was also in a pretty bad place right before the Farley/Sandler crew came in. Then you had the Ferrell/Tina Fey crew era, and they haven't really had anyone truly break out since, other than maybe Kate Mckinnen and Andy Samberg.

SNL tried to end his career he should not have respect for them or even do this. it is a very pussy move. his bud light endorsement is also not a good look. Goes to show he will probably end up selling out like jimmy kimmel and losing his edge.
No LOL they just fired him

That's a product of the quality of the cast and writing. When SNL isn't making stars, it's safe to say that the show sucks and the people in it aren't up to snuff. It goes through phases. It was also in a pretty bad place right before the Farley/Sandler crew came in. Then you had the Ferrell/Tina Fey crew era, and they haven't really had anyone truly break out since, other than maybe Kate Mckinnen and Andy Samberg.

I thought Ferrell was a little before Feys time? I always thought Fallon/ Fey as an era but it also had Meyers (wouldn’t say he’s successful like past eras but hes still known) and Bill Hader (who imo was the best in that era). I guess it had Fred Armisen who is an odd duck but has been able to do his own stuff post show.

Forgot about Samberg. He’d definitely be the guy from the batch after and Mckinnen seems to be doing good with films too.

This batch, the only guy is know is Davidson and can’t say I’m a fan. I saw two of his specials and they weren’t bad but not great either. Saw another one with a current cast member and it was really really bad.

Does seem like a gradual decline each batch but I want around before Farley/ Sandler.

He did the down syndrome bit for his monologue and it bombed. Stunned he went there for the audience but funny he tried.

I liked it.

I'm not familiar with his stuff but enjoyed his monologue and figure he's a blast live.

All in all a pretty good episode, the monologue isn’t as bad as I’ve seen some say, but it wasn’t great. The excuses of he isn’t acceptable for TV is pretty asinine though, if you’re funny the medium shouldn’t really matter, as others have proven this before.

i just watched it. I thought it was cringey. He says his dad coaches girls basketball and then waits for laughs as if he told a joke and then says "wow i thought making fun of my bad woudl get more laughs". He then said that he would like to teach 9th grade sex ed and pauses and acts surprised that no one laughed as if he thought that was funny. I like him normally but yeah count me on team he sucked on snl.

The Down syndrome skit makes me laugh because I could swear a large chunk of the population has a little something going on.

Shane is a funny guy, but extremely overrated. Louis CK and Chappelle aren’t “network friendly” comedians as well, but their SNL monologues were hilarious. Shane being touted as one of the best stand ups today’s is more of a statement on how bad comedy has gotten.
This reminds me of rap folks that praise Kendrick lamar and j.cole but they would have just been mediocre rappers in their peer group in the 90s.

Last edited:
I liked it.

I'm not familiar with his stuff but enjoyed his monologue and figure he's a blast live.
I already had heard it so I guess I was just assessing the crowds reaction. On the special, he has a good ten minutes about his family and it gets better than what he covered there. That’s the intro to it. I’m sure he’s great live.

Saw some of the skits and his intro

I liked the Liberty Mutual murder emu skit - some of the other stuff pretty good like the Trump shoes.. others were meh, his opening stand up act was just alright.

Overall it was good

Back