Sherbytes: Industry News Megathread, v.1

Tencent getting froggy:

That’s according to a new report from Reuters, which claims that the conglomerate is putting more focus on buying companies outright, following years of investing in minority stakes, as it attempts to offset slowing growth at home in China.

Tencent, which is the world’s biggest video games company by revenue, has already invested in more than 800 companies. That includes a 40% stake in Epic Games and holds shares in Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft, PUBG Studios parent company Krafton, PlatinumGames, FromSoftware and Marvelous Inc.

However, Tencent has made fewer full acquisitions. Currently, it owns 100% of developers such as Funcom, Riot Games, Sumo, Turtle Rock, Digital Extremes and Splash Damage.

(...)

The shift in strategy is reportedly due to the company’s newfound reliance on global markets for future growth, as China strengthens regulations at home.

Wild Hearts - 7mins of Gameplay footage

New Need For Speed game reveal

Need For Speed Unbound - Releases on PC,PS5 and XBX/S December 2nd 2022

EA's new PC app to replace Origin is out

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/news/ea-app

For over 10 years we've welcomed millions of players into our Origin platform, we've listened to your feedback and acknowledge the limitations of this platform in a quickly evolving entertainment landscape. So we set out to build EA's next-generation PC game platform - a faster, more reliable, and more streamlined gaming experience - the best possible place for you to experience EA's incredible games, services and content.

Today, we're thrilled to announce that the EA app has officially left its open beta phase and will soon replace Origin as our primary PC platform. The EA app is our fastest and lightest PC client to date. With the new streamlined design you will easily find the games and content you're looking for and discover your new favorite games. With automatic game downloads and background updates you can ensure that your games are ready to play when you are.

For our Origin players, we've worked hard to make the transition to the EA app as simple as possible. We will be inviting you to make the move soon, and by the time you receive your invite, all your games and content, including games previously installed, will be ready and waiting for you on the EA app. Your local and cloud saves will transfer forward ensuring you can pick up where you left off. Your friends list transfers, too, so you won't have to worry about remembering all those player IDs.

The EA app is now available for supported Windows PCs. MacOS players - Origin for Mac continues to be the place you can access your games.

We look forward to welcoming you to the EA app!

Looks like Meta has just acquired another 3 VR studios making the total of 9 in the last 2 years
https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-vr-studio-acquisition-iron-man-resident-evil-wilsons-heart/

Meta announced at its Connect developer conference today that the company has acquired three more VR game studios, bringing its total to nine such acquisitions over the past two years. Joining Meta's Oculus Studios is Camouflaj (Marvel's Iron Man VR), Twisted Pixel (Wilson's Heart, Path of the Warrior), and Armature Studio (Resident Evil 4 VR port for Quest 2). Meta says it'll be "a while" before they can reveal what they're working on, however the studios are going to bring to VR what the company calls "ambitious and forward-thinking games."

Body-cam shooter in the works; indie is being made with UE by Frenchman Alexandre Spindler. True to form, the visual recoil (not to conflate with mechanical recoil) is no joke from what I'm seeing:

@Madmick

Don't know where else to put this -

There's basically no excuse for $70 current-gen console games to NOT be 60FPS.

If I was planning on picking this game up, this'd be a deal-breaker.

@Madmick

Don't know where else to put this -

There's basically no excuse for $70 current-gen console games to NOT be 60FPS.

If I was planning on picking this game up, this'd be a deal-breaker.

You may have to get used to this. There’s a fair amount of speculation that in the years to come more and more titles won’t run at 60fps as improved graphics push the PS5 and XSX harder and beyond their ability to maintain higher frame rates.

You may have to get used to this. There’s a fair amount of speculation that in the years to come more and more titles won’t run at 60fps as improved graphics push the PS5 and XSX harder and beyond their ability to maintain higher frame rates.
Indeed. Most of the heaviest AAA titles since Day 1 couldn't run 4K@60fps stably. Almost all older titles, sure, but not the new stuff.

The 4090 is the first real GPU with the power to do that. But obviously Microsoft and Sony can't even adequately supply the XSX and PS5, currently, so don't expect "Pro" variants to be released in the next few years to keep pace. That would just be vaporware. PCs are gonna clown consoles, again, just like they did in the 8th gen, despite the console's more ambitious hardware starting point.

At least console owners can't take comfort in knowing PC gamers are damn well paying for the last laugh: an arm and a leg.

You may have to get used to this.

No, I won't.

60FPS is basically a requirement I have for the vast majority of games I'm going to pay for.

There’s a fair amount of speculation that in the years to come more and more titles won’t run at 60fps as improved graphics push the PS5 and XSX harder and beyond their ability to maintain higher frame rates.

I've played many 'XBox Enhanced' games over the last 6 months, and have come to the conclusion that the graphics themselves are the absolute least significant aspect of a quality game.

What matters the most is how the games run.
Are they bug-free?
Are they 60FPS?

If not, it's wasn't a high priority for the developer which indicates the quality of their developer and the quality of the product they develop, and therefore not worth the $70 to play their game.

If they announce they'll release a 60FPS patch, great. I'll consider buying it then, but if not there's numerous other and better ways to spend $70.

Indeed. Most of the heaviest AAA titles since Day 1 couldn't run 4K@60fps stably. Almost all older titles, sure, but not the new stuff.

60FPS @ 1440P is a reasonable compromise.

I've played games at both resolutions on a 65" and can barely tell the difference. But there's a significant difference between 30FPS & 60FPS.

The 4090 is the first real GPU with the power to do that. But obviously Microsoft and Sony can't even adequately supply the XSX and PS5, currently, so don't expect "Pro" variants to be released in the next few years to keep pace. That would just be vaporware. PCs are gonna clown consoles, again, just like they did in the 8th gen, despite the console's more ambitious hardware starting point.

At least console owners can't take comfort in knowing PC gamers are damn well paying for the last laugh: an arm and a leg.

There's no excuse for development teams to not at least give gamers the option to play their $70 games at a lower resolution with a higher framerate.

Period.

'Oh, that'd compromise the photo-realistic graphics!' Good. Compromise the fuck out of your intended photorealism then.

As far as I'm concerned, there should be three options -
1080P @ 120FPS
1440P @ 60FPS
4K @ 30FPS (Minimum)

60FPS @ 1440P is a reasonable compromise.

I've played games at both resolutions on a 65" and can barely tell the difference. But there's a significant difference between 30FPS & 60FPS.

There's no excuse for development teams to not at least give gamers the option to play their $70 games at a lower resolution with a higher framerate.

Period.

'Oh, that'd compromise the photo-realistic graphics!' Good. Compromise the fuck out of your intended photorealism then.

As far as I'm concerned, there should be three options -
1080P @ 120FPS
1440P @ 60FPS
4K @ 30FPS (Minimum)
It makes you wonder if devs even play the games they design. There is just no excuse for action games to be at 30fps anymore.

EA are shutting down online services in the next few months for a number of titles starting today

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ne-services-for-mirrors-edge-onrush-and-more/

Army of Two: The 40th Day - October 18
Army of Two: The Devil’s Cartel - October 18
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - November 9
Command & Conquer: Tiberium - November 9
Command & Conquer: Kane’s Wrath - November 9
Gatling Gears - January 19
Mercenaries 2 - November 9
Mirror’s Edge - January 19
NBA Jam: On Fire Edition - January 19
Onrush - January 19
Shank 2 - January 19

New Discord Youtbe intergration and a cheaper Nitro Plan launching

Alongside the launch of Activities, there's a new Discord Nitro plan. The $2.99 per month Nitro Basic subscription will allow Discord users to use custom emoji and upload 50MB files, but it won't include the server boosts, HD video streaming, animated avatars, and custom profiles found in the regular $9.99 Nitro plan.

Discord is launching a Nitro Basic subscription alongside a new Activities feature that includes YouTube integration and casual games. The YouTube integration comes more than a year after the Google-owned video service forced two popular Discord music bots offline. Discord has been testing this YouTube Watch Together feature for more than a year, which allows Discord members to watch YouTube videos in sync.

New Bleak Faith footage

I can't help but keep following this project but comms have been so spotty that I feel myself drifting into whatever territory over the years. Thanks. What I see now looks like Shadow of the Colossus x Mortal Shell x Dark Souls III.

I can't help but keep following this project but comms have been so spotty that I feel myself drifting into whatever territory over the years. Thanks. What I see now looks like Shadow of the Colossus x Mortal Shell x Dark Souls III.

Ah shit, total brain fart. That's what happens when you use mobile 99% of the time. This was supposed to be in the WAYP thread. Either way, agreed. This game looks like great fun and a mix of what you mentioned. There's another I'm keeping my eyes on called Nazralath that looks pretty cool. Although, I'm not sure if it's coming to PS5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back