Sherbytes: Industry News Megathread, v.1

Reveal on Bethesda's Prey from Arkane Austin:

Prey director Raphaël Colantonio has said developer Arkane Studios was forced to use the Prey name by Bethesda, despite his disagreement and feeling "gross" by using it.

"Calling Prey Prey, that was very very hurtful to me. I did not want to call this game Prey, and I had to say I wanted to anyway in front of journalists," Colantonio said. "There is a bit of the artistic, the creative side that is insulted when you tell this artist: 'You know your game? It's going to be called Prey.' And you go like, 'I don't think it should. I think it's a mistake'."

Yeah i saw this, and he said something like "people who didn't like the original Prey aren't going to find our game, and people who liked the original Prey aren't going to want to find our game".

Such a shitty thing for Bethesda to do.

In Person E3 returns next year, also will be the first one with the new management

Last edited:
I see positive reception over this but can't wrap my own mind around the quality in delivery. I get the property affinity with Star Wars is and always has been Arnold grade but by-the-numbers crap is crap at the end of the day. Let's see what comes of this expectation from Disney:

Sources have suggested that the entertainment giant Disney wants a new Star Wars video game release every 6 months. It’s understood that Disney wants one major AAA title and one smaller game per fiscal year, which is something Lucasfilm is set to deliver on.

The ramp-up in video game development for Star Wars games comes after EA lost its exclusivity access to the franchise.

I see positive reception over this but can't wrap my own mind around the quality in delivery. I get the property affinity with Star Wars is and always has been Arnold grade but by-the-numbers crap is crap at the end of the day. Let's see what comes of this expectation from Disney:

Sources have suggested that the entertainment giant Disney wants a new Star Wars video game release every 6 months. It’s understood that Disney wants one major AAA title and one smaller game per fiscal year, which is something Lucasfilm is set to deliver on.

The ramp-up in video game development for Star Wars games comes after EA lost its exclusivity access to the franchise.

Current Slate on deck with a couple that years out from release :
  • Amy Hennig's Game – Skydance Media
  • Untitled FPS – Respawn Entertainment
  • Open World Game – Ubisoft Massive
  • Star Wars: Eclipse – Quantic Dream
  • Knights of the Old Republic Remake – Saber Interactive
  • Jedi: Survivor (Fallen Order sequel) – Respawn Entertainment
  • Star Wars: Hunters – Zynga
  • Untitled Strategy Game – Respawn Entertainment/ Bit Reactor

Plus theres been rumors for a couple of years for a possible Mandalorian game.

Thought this funny because over the years I always say of Ubi AA games at AAA price points. Price bump confirmed by CEO Guillemot:

Skull & Bones is the first of these games to be set at the new $70 price point. Amazon has already adopted the new pricing structure with both PS5 and Xbox Series X|S versions of Skull & Bones available to pre-order for $69.99.

However, the Ubisoft store itself lists the game at just $59.99 – you can save yourself a cool $10 by pre-ordering the game direct from Ubisoft. At least, at the moment. Whether or not Ubisoft updates the store in line with their new prices remains to be seen. So, if you’re interested in Skull & Bones, you might want to act fast.

S&B being first out the gate at the price point is ironic; it's built more like a F2P live service output without mentioning no deck boarding nor combat /activities ashore. Inchoate play with PS3-era cinematics for a premium.

Didn't know or missed that Splinter Cell was getting remake treatment from Ubi; was hoping for a new game – but they then go on to say they're rewriting the story for modern audiences. Which is it? Anyhow, latest on the project:

It said the game was being rebuilt with the Snowdrop engine—which also powers The Division and is being used to build Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and Ubisoft’s upcoming Star Wars game—”to deliver new-generation visuals and gameplay, and the dynamic lighting and shadows the series is known for”.

“So, as we’re building it from the ground up, we’re going to update it visually, as well as some of the design elements to match player comfort and expectations, and we are going to keep it linear like the original games, not make it open world.”

He added: “One of the things that, from my point of view is really exciting about this project, is that the last couple of games all of us have worked on have been really big worlds. What that means is that the economy of decisions is very spread out, whereas what I love about a Splinter Cell map is every square inch represents intentionality.

Ubi is hiring for the script adapter right now:

“Using the first Splinter Cell game as our foundation we are rewriting and updating the story for a modern-day audience,” reads the scriptwriter job ad.

smh-laughable.gif

What a clown. He was becoming the king of dev/voice actor interviews. I would always get suggestions for his videos on YT. Seeing so many big names in the biz on his videos, I always wondered who he was, thinking he was some industry insider. I guess he was :D

His access was only growing, now he's done.

Current Slate on deck with a couple that years out from release :
  • Amy Hennig's Game – Skydance Media
  • Untitled FPS – Respawn Entertainment
  • Open World Game – Ubisoft Massive
  • Star Wars: Eclipse – Quantic Dream
  • Knights of the Old Republic Remake – Saber Interactive
  • Jedi: Survivor (Fallen Order sequel) – Respawn Entertainment
  • Star Wars: Hunters – Zynga
  • Untitled Strategy Game – Respawn Entertainment/ Bit Reactor

Plus theres been rumors for a couple of years for a possible Mandalorian game.

Looks like only one mobile game in that list.

Respawn leading the charge too. It's been too long since we've had a great FPS SW campaign. I like their collaboration with Bit Reactor on the strategy game. They have lots of ex Civ devs there from what I've heard.

I'm really excited for Amy Hennig's game and Fallen Order 2 as well.

smh-laughable.gif

What a clown. He was becoming the king of dev/voice actor interviews. I would always get suggestions for his videos on YT. Seeing so many big names in the biz on his videos, I always wondered who he was, thinking he was some industry insider. I guess he was :D

His access was only growing, now he's done.

Looks like only one mobile game in that list.

Hunters?

Its also gonna be on Switch too aswell as mobile.

Just a reminder that tech talk and news is absolutely inbounds ITT.

In fact, please do post on the topic and discuss the latest amongst your fellow dawg. I see some members posting and deleting tech snippets maybe in fear it's orthogonal to sub interest or the gaming space – but there's no need to.

Talk tech. Talk trends. Talk video game production woes. Talk game engines or VR. Talk software. Share an opinion. Have a good time. I'm affording this thread a lot of latitude to that end.

Game on.

FC6 was 2021 GOTY, lads. Not a take at all off-mark. Who knew?

re:

GTFO.

Collab between EA and Omega Force (Koei Temco)

Releases on PS5, XSX/S and PC Feb 17th 2023

Reuters is reporting that Saudi Arabia's PIF owned Savvy Games Group is looking to acquire a leading game publisher as part of a $37.8bn investment across 4 initiatives

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...vy-games-group-invest-378-billion-2022-09-29/

Sept 29 (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia's Savvy Games Group, owned by sovereign wealth fund PIF, will invest 142 billion riyals ($37.8 billion) across four initiatives as it aims to become a global hub for gaming, state news agency SPA said on Thursday.

The investments will include 70 billion riyals to take several minority stakes in "key companies" that support Savvy's game development agenda and 50 billion riyals earmarked to acquire "a leading game publisher to become a strategic development partner".

Definitely interested in following this. Thanks.

In addition to this , this is the group that have stakes in Activision, Nintendo,Capcom and Take Two. Not the ones who own SNK

Cross posting from the services thread just incase:

Google's shutting down Stadia, service will remain online until Jan 18th 2024, Google will refund all Stadia Purchases which will be paid back Mid January

Returnal PC leaks again, definitely has DLSS and FSR support
Sony should probably just announce this one already.
A new video has popped up on Youtube (see above, until the inevitable takedown) showing PlayStation 5 roguelike Returnal running on PC. The short clip remains paused on the game's graphics settings menu, though unfortunately it doesn't scroll through the entire list of options. What it does show is enough to confirm Returnal's graphics options on PC will be pretty extensive, including multiple image upscaling techniques.

Whoever recorded the 53-second clip spends most of it flipping through Returnal's Screen Optimizations setting, which includes a few choices:

Another Nvidia upscaling technique(opens in new tab) that doesn't require an RTX graphics card.
The rest of the graphics settings we can see confirm a few other welcome features: unlocked framerate support and ray tracing for both shadows and reflections. Given the DLSS support above, it seems likely Returnal will support Nvidia's RTX ray tracing tech.

This is, like, the fourth time Returnal's PC port has leaked in some form. It popped up on SteamDB(opens in new tab) and showed up in a GDC talk(opens in new tab) earlier this year, and someone already posted screenshots of the graphics settings(opens in new tab) page alongside a leak of Sony platformer Sackboy. Probably time to own up to this one, Sony.

Anyone here do any gaming on an iPad? Thinking of getting one and wanted to see what you think.

Another Day, Another Ubisoft project

Back