Sherbytes: Industry News Megathread, v.1

Pretty sure they get tax credits in Montreal, its why Ubisoft has a big studio there
Tax credits for Japan? Seems like a solution without a problem. I read this could be their one arm for all Western development to prevent a rerun of previous problems so in that context, sure, the location has merits.

Tax credits for Japan? Seems like a solution without a problem. I read this could be their one arm for all Western development to prevent a rerun of previous problems so in that context, sure, the location has merits.

Yeah more than likely, supposedly of the reasons the ones in the process of being sold the running costs of them weren't worth it compared to the studio's games sales. Plus its probably to replace the Square Enix Montreal studio thats in the Embracer deal once that goes through.

How the tax credit works for anyone interested

https://gamerant.com/quebec-canada-video-game-tax-subsidies-program-removal/

How The Quebec Tax Credit Works

The Refundable tax credit for the production of multimedia titles covers up to 37.5 percent of labor expenditures for game studios if one of their multimedia titles is available in French. If no title is available in French, then only 30 percent of labor expenditures are refundable. Furthermore, the tax credit only applies to up to $100,000 per employee, so any salary that exceeds that amount will not be refundable under the policy.

The Quebec government estimates that this subsidy cost taxpayers $253 million in 2021. In exchange for that sum, Quebec is a global video game hub centered around Montreal where over 200 studios have set up shop. Last year several big names announced plans to move into the city, which most recently includes the studio behind Genshin Impact, miHoYo.

Upto 37.5% is one hell of a tax break

I would not expect Crisis Core until next year.

The announcement said this winter, which only includes December for this year. Mid to ltae January at the earliest I would expect.
Really?

Usually Winter means before the holiday period, so early December.....

Besides if it releases in January, itll be far too close to Forspoken's release date.

Until the end with the spawning bullshit, it was a 10 then Malek.....I never lost interest in a GOAT tier game that quick. Itll probably be a 9 for me once I finish, but I dont understand why they try to pad an otherwise decently long RPG.

Ill give it a listen after KOTOR II, Im looking forward to playing that one. Might do Mass Effect Andromeda before it, but Ill play it before January.
Be sure to download the fan patch that brings in cut content!

This is a good explanation for the recent Chinese video game announcements, and if this is truly the case I'm expecting some quality content from them, even if this current batch of games don't hit the mark they will learn and adapt especially with the massive resources at their disposal.

Not what i was expecting to see this morning

According to GLHF sources, Amazon will announce today that it has put in a formal offer to acquire Electronic Arts (EA), the publisher behind Apex Legends, FIFA, Madden, and more.

Rumors have been circling online for a few weeks about a potential EA buyout, with Apple, Disney, and Amazon listed as potential buyers. As per our sources, Amazon has finally made an offer.

It’s a smart business move from Amazon, which is also making big moves in television. After the success of The Witcher and Arcane on Netflix — both shows built around big video games — Amazon could potentially use EA’s franchises as settings for new shows. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dead Space — there’s plenty of potential in EA’s library for transmedia opportunities.

This news comes after a range of unprecedented acquisitions and consolidation in the video game space, with the biggest of them being Microsoft’s purchase of Bethesda for $7.5 billion.

According to our sources, the announcement will be made later today. We’ve reached out to Amazon and EA for comment and will update you if we hear anything back.

Announcement today it looks like

Last edited:
Shot down already

Last edited:
This is one purchase I don't mind. If Amazon can turn these franchises around and make them better I'm all for it. I do wish Sony or Microsoft got it though but I know that's impossible because Sony isn't wealthy enough and Microsoft is still waiting on another acquisition.

Sony needs to make a move though. I'd like them to pick up a major Japanese dev. Everything will be gone soon and I trust the legacy consoles more than anyone else.

This is one purchase I don't mind. If Amazon can turn these franchises around and make them better I'm all for it. I do wish Sony or Microsoft got it though but I know that's impossible because Sony isn't wealthy enough and Microsoft is still waiting on another acquisition.

Sony needs to make a move though. I'd like them to pick up a major Japanese dev. Everything will be gone soon and I trust the legacy consoles more than anyone else.

I still think Sony are waiting for the Embracer deal to close on the Square Western studios next month for the move on Square

I still think Sony are waiting for the Embracer deal to close on the Square Western studios next month for the move on Square
Square Enix under Sony will be immense.

Quality Control on legendary IP.
If every game is as great as FF7 Remake, then Im all for it.

Funnily enough speaking of Embracer - Square, deals done for the western studios quicker than expected

FbFmx4kXEAAT0uj

Sony deal needed to happen before Embracer snatched away legacy of kain.

<mma1>

Heard it was hopelessly bad from go:

USA's Nightdive Studios clarifies after 2020 disappearance of project that the rights for System Shock 3 were sold and whether or not a sequel happens is now in Tencent's hands:

USA's Nightdive Studios clarifies after 2020 disappearance of project that the rights for System Shock 3 were sold and whether or not a sequel happens is now in Tencent's hands:

That’s some lousy lawyering right there if you ask me. When Night Dive sold the rights to develop a System Shock 3 to Otherside they should have included a buy back clause in the contract in case Otherside tried to sell it to someone else. Now we’re stuck in a situation where Night Dive can finish their remake of System Shock 1 and if they want they can also remake 2, but after that they’re stuck.

The default settings on Corsair power supply is causing problems with users. Your PC can take a random reboot if your especially using RTX 3080 or above and RX 6800 or above graphics boards. Apparently "I have not tested it yet on my 1200 watt power supply" is a software fix from Corsair "for some reason not on their website" will resolve the issue by allowing people to change the settings for GPU's and CPU's to increase the available current on a power drawing thing like a GPU or CPU. Just posting this for people who may have a Corsair or considering buying one.

One setup

Heh.. I'd rather not see Sony or MS get EA. Not that I play any sports games anymore but seeing EA fall under either would be... too weird for me.

Heh.. I'd rather not see Sony or MS get EA. Not that I play any sports games anymore but seeing EA fall under either would be... too weird for me.
Amazon breaching gaming reeks of all the wrong motives either way, IMO.

NetEase has acquired Quantic Dream

Back