PC Sherdog Gaming Laptop & Review Thread (OP Updated Apr-2019)

unless the alienware has one hell of an amazing screen, the omen blows it out of the water.
Doesn’t seem like it. Both 144hz and 1080p.

Seems like a no brainer then. I’ll get over my salt from the cancellation.

to be fair, that deal seemed amazing. i don't really pay much attention to laptops (they're basically irrelevant to me), but when i saw that i tried to talk my gf into getting it (she needs a new one desperately, but just wants a cheapo ~$500 one).

to be fair, that deal seemed amazing. i don't really pay much attention to laptops (they're basically irrelevant to me), but when i saw that i tried to talk my gf into getting it (she needs a new one desperately, but just wants a cheapo ~$500 one).
Convince her this way. She's probably gonna use the laptop every day for a few years. Those years can either be great or mediocre.

Its an amazing laptop and that deal was insane. Youre getting a great piece of tech, and iirc HP have really turned it around.

Lol, final update. They cancelled on me again saying their components were no longer available. Done with these clowns. I found a similar laptop from them on Best Buy and it goes for $1700 with the i7. Sounds like they completely bungled their rollout of these laptops.

Alienware dropped their price again which put it at the same price. Decided to go with them. Should be delivered two weeks sooner as well.

Debating between two gaming notebooks.

ASUS ROG Zeph
CPU: AMD Ryzen 4900s
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 Max Q
RAM: 16gb
HARDDRIVE: 1tb SSD
Display: 240hz 15.6 inches
Price: $1299

ASUS ROG Strix
CPU: i7 10500
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660ti
Harddrive: 1tb SSD
Display: 144hz 15.6
Price: $1099

Usage: Mainly for FPS like WZ and CSGO. As far as I can tell, the 1660ti is a faster GPU than the RTX 2060, but isn't necessarily the better GPU??? This is according to Tomshardware review
Also, it seems the 4900S is a slightly faster processor than the i7.

TL/DR: Should I spend extra $200 on the 1st option laptop or save the $200 and buy the 2nd option laptop.

The 2060 is the better card. If you're content to play in 1080p and have no interest in potentially hooking up another monitor, then I'd save the money and go with the 1660ti laptop.

Debating between two gaming notebooks.

ASUS ROG Zeph
CPU: AMD Ryzen 4900s
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 Max Q
HARDDRIVE: 1tb SSD
Display: 240hz 15.6 inches
Price: $1299

ASUS ROG Strix
CPU: i7 10500
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660ti
Harddrive: 1tb SSD
Display: 144hz 15.6
Price: $1099

Usage: Mainly for FPS like WZ and CSGO. As far as I can tell, the 1660ti is a faster GPU than the RTX 2060, but isn't necessarily the better GPU??? This is according to Tomshardware review
Also, it seems the 4900S is a slightly faster processor than the i7.

TL/DR: Should I spend extra $200 on the 1st option laptop or save the $200 and buy the 2nd option laptop.

The RTX2060 supports DLSS, the GTX1660ti doesn't.

Personally I'd go with the 2060. I'm a big fan of DLSS. It's a newer feature but we're seeing it included in more and more games.
If you were just playing CS:GO, the 1660ti would be the obvious choice since it doesn't offer DLSS support.

The RTX2060 supports DLSS, the GTX1660ti doesn't.

Personally I'd go with the 2060. I'm a big fan of DLSS. It's a newer feature but we're seeing it included in more and more games.
If you were just playing CS:GO, the 1660ti would be the obvious choice since it doesn't offer DLSS support.

It's not going to have much of an impact on Warzone or CSGO, though.

Warzone is getting DLSS and it will offer a massive frame rate boost. I highly doubt CS:GO will get DLSS support though.
1660ti at 1080p already hits over 100fps in WZ, though. With a 144Hz refresh rate screen I reckon that's more than sufficient. Personal thing, but I don't think I can tell the difference once the frame rate goes past a certain number.

The GTX 1660 Ti Mobile is actually the more powerful card than the 2060 Max-Q due to the frequency.

The key advantages to the 2060 Max-Q in terms of performance are, first, its ray-tracing capability, but that's sort of a paper advantage even at 1080p due to the fact it isn't strong enough to run most ray-tracing capable titles once more meaningful rasterization-dependent effects have been maximized in settings.

Second is that DLSS capability. That's probably more meaningful, but it still isn't meaningful. It's only worth turning on if DLSS 2.0+ is supported, and while DLSS 2.0 launched on March 26, 2020, as of today, there is just 28 total games supported, and that's where it is projected to finish for its first year. That means they're adding roughly 1 game every two weeks. For context, Steam added 10,263 games in 2020. So DLSS is covering 0.27% of Steam's releases, and of course even among major releases that doesn't cover the Epic and Microsoft exclusives that aren't on Steam.

Otherwise, more meaningfully, the difference will be heat, noise, and most of all, battery life. The Strix will have to run its fans more loudly to keep that 1660 Ti cool, and even with that, it will be much hotter if you put it on your lap, for instance. The heat may cause stress within the tight confines of a laptop that can't separate & insulate more heat-sensitive components as easily. It will also sap more juice to sustain that higher frequency. Even in a blind I'm fairly confident in guessing it isn't as light or thin a laptop.

That's despite that the Zephyrus capitalizes on the reserve energy saved for the more aggressive 35W Ryzen CPU, and that's what makes all of the above moot. There is no i7-10500, so I'm pretty sure you mean the i7-10510U. The Ryzen 4900HS utterly destroys that CPU. Crushes it. Raids its village and plunders its women.

Ridiculously easy choice given the modest price difference. Get the Zephyrus.

Usage: Mainly for FPS like WZ and CSGO.

For CSGO the i7 system is superior.

Warzone is getting DLSS and it will offer a massive frame rate boost. I highly doubt CS:GO will get DLSS support though.

Valve already implemented their in-house texture streaming for CSGO last year. Timeline suggests it had to do with all the people stuck home during quarantine and the components shortage that followed.

For CSGO the i7 system is superior.

Valve already implemented their in-house texture streaming for CSGO last year. Timeline suggests it had to do with all the people stuck home during quarantine and the components shortage that followed.

I thought that got cancelled because it was too expensive.

The GTX 1660 Ti Mobile is actually the more powerful card than the 2060 Max-Q due to the frequency.

The key advantages to the 2060 Max-Q in terms of performance are, first, its ray-tracing capability, but that's sort of a paper advantage even at 1080p due to the fact it isn't strong enough to run most ray-tracing capable titles once more meaningful rasterization-dependent effects have been maximized in settings.

Second is that DLSS capability. That's probably more meaningful, but it still isn't meaningful. It's only worth turning on if DLSS 2.0+ are supported, and while DLSS 2.0 launched on March 26, 2020, as of today, there is just 28 total games supported, and that's where it is projected to finish for its first year. That means they're adding roughly 1 game every two weeks. For context, Steam added 10,263 games in 2020. So DLSS is covering 0.27% of Steam's releases, and of course even among major releases that doesn't cover the Epic and Microsoft exclusives that aren't on Steam.

Otherwise, more meaningfully, the difference will be heat, noise, and most of all, battery life. The Strix will have to run its fans more loudly to keep that 1660 Ti cool, and even with that, it will be much hotter if you put it on your lap, for instance. The heat may cause stress within the tight confines of a laptop that can't separate & insulate more heat-sensitive components as easily. It will also sap more juice to sustain that higher frequency. Even in a blind I fairly confident in guessing it isn't as light or thin a laptop.

That's despite that the Zephyrus capitalizes on the reserve energy saved for the more aggressive 35W Ryzen CPU, and that's what makes all of the above moot. There is no i7-10500, so I'm pretty sure you mean the i7-10510U. The Ryzen 4900HS utterly destroys that CPU. Crushes it. Raids its village and plunders its women.

Ridiculously easy choice given the modest price difference. Get the Zephyrus.
Nice! I just ordered the Zephyrus!
I'm glad AMD is back! I was on their train when the athlons were kicking the Pentiums asses

I thought that got cancelled because it was too expensive.

Its an graphical option in-game. Meant to boost frames on older hardware within maps that received texture upgrades.

Normally I recommend not getting a gaming laptop unless you have a specific need for it, but shit you can’t really buy a desktop right now

Quick update on the Alienware. This little thing is a beast. On DOOM Eternal I can get 4K 60 FPS on Ultra Nightmare settings. Frame rate doesn’t budge.

I’d I drop resolution to 1440p I’m hovering in 110-120. Very happy with the performance and my set up has worked perfectly with what I had envisioned.

Finally made the plunge on a decent laptop. I was using a 200 dollar laptop for basic browsing and streaming but tired of it sucking.

Legion 5
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
16 GB RAM
RTX 2060
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD + 1 TB PCIe SSD

$1,149.99

Seems like a good deal

So I found this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-n...-512gb-ssd-windows-11/6486189.p?skuId=6486189

6486189_sd.jpg

Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop
15.6 Inch FHD
Intel 11th Gen Core i7 Processor
GeForce RTX 3050Ti
16 GB DDR4 RAM
512 GB SSD
Price: $899.99

Thoughts?

Last edited: