PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

the rtx 2070 should be a little better than the 1070. but if the 1070 struggles enough to warrant this, you might want something better than a 2070.

That's not a very specific recommendation.

I'm thinking of upgrading my rig or possibly just getting a new one. What do you guys think of the Nvidia RTX 2070? Worth it or should I be looking at some other card?

nvidia-rtx-2070-south-africa-980px-v1.jpg
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-super-graphics-cards-specs-release,39752.html
Looks like you can expect a roughly 11% improvement or thereabouts in performance for the RTX 2070 Super over the RTX 2070 in both traditional GPU compute power and the new Ray-Tracing performance. Maybe not that much because the memory bandwidth is the same, maybe a bit more, we won't know until we see the factory clocked frequencies, but it looks like that's NVIDIA's intention: about a +10% kick.

This should put it around 46%-47% faster than the GTX 1070 in traditional performance (the GTX 1070 obviously can't do native ray-tracing):
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/4029vs3609

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-super-graphics-cards-specs-release,39752.html
Looks like you can expect a roughly 11% improvement or thereabouts in performance for the RTX 2070 Super over the RTX 2070 in both traditional GPU compute power and the new Ray-Tracing performance. Maybe not that much because the memory bandwidth is the same, maybe a bit more, we won't know until we see the factory clocked frequencies, but it looks like that's NVIDIA's intention: about a +10% kick.

This should put it around 46%-47% faster than the GTX 1070 in traditional performance (the GTX 1070 obviously can't do native ray-tracing):
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/4029vs3609

Yea, I think I'm just going to get a new rig, I'm looking at Cyberpowerpc right now because they are running a July 4th sale. I need a card for gaming but also one robust enough to handle VR without melting. I'm thinking of getting the i7 9700k with the RTX 2070, it seems to be a pretty potent combination.

Hey guys just bought some parts to make my girlfriend a new PC over the weekend, didn't really research it that well, but her PC was utter shite (Wow was sometimes a slideshow for her)

This is her new build I'll be putting together over the weekend.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: GTX 1060 (her current one that I gave her cause I had it sitting around)
MOBO: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite AM4
Ram: G.SKill 16gb Trident 2400mhz ram
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum (I suggested others but she wanted pretty colours and it was $95 off)
PSU: SIlverstone 750w Strider Gold Modular
Case: Cougar Gemini S RGB Tempered Glass
HDD: her SSD and a few HDD's

@Madmick @jefferz @rob mafia will this be good enough to play most games at 1080p satisfyingly?

@Woldog

depends on the exact games/desired fps (obviously)... but yeah. that should be pretty good to go, for the most part.

@Woldog

depends on the exact games/desired fps (obviously)... but yeah. that should be pretty good to go, for the most part.

She mostly plays games like, Wow, Minecraft, Rimworld and Sims, she's not into AAA blockbuster games like COD and Ass creed, so I figured it should be okay to play most things comfortably at medium or highish settings.

She mostly plays games like, Wow, Minecraft, Rimworld and Sims, she's not into AAA blockbuster games like COD and Ass creed, so I figured it should be okay to play most things comfortably at medium or highish settings.

yeah, should be fine. might not pull 144 fps reliably, but it should be worlds better than a slideshow.

I'm thinking of upgrading my rig or possibly just getting a new one. What do you guys think of the Nvidia RTX 2070? Worth it or should I be looking at some other card?

nvidia-rtx-2070-south-africa-980px-v1.jpg
Wait till "super" cards come out, literally couple of days left. you will either get a newer card or the 2070 for lower price.

Wait till "super" cards come out, literally couple of days left. you will either get a newer card or the 2070 for lower price.

I haven't been plugged in to what has been going on lately. What are "super" cards and when do they come out?

I haven't been plugged in to what has been going on lately. What are "super" cards and when do they come out?
Refresh of nvidia cards. 2060 Super, 2070 super, etc. They come out in july.

Refresh of nvidia cards. 2060 Super, 2070 super, etc. They come out in july.

Word.

I don't know how much of a better deal I would get though. Yea I would get a break on the video card but I'm looking at the Cyberpower 4th of July sale to buy a whole new system and I'm getting breaks on a lot of items. Its one of those roll the dice kind of things where you might regret it a month from now or you might not.

Hey guys just bought some parts to make my girlfriend a new PC over the weekend, didn't really research it that well, but her PC was utter shite (Wow was sometimes a slideshow for her)

This is her new build I'll be putting together over the weekend.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: GTX 1060 (her current one that I gave her cause I had it sitting around)
MOBO: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite AM4
Ram: G.SKill 16gb Trident 2400mhz ram
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum (I suggested others but she wanted pretty colours and it was $95 off)
PSU: SIlverstone 750w Strider Gold Modular
Case: Cougar Gemini S RGB Tempered Glass
HDD: her SSD and a few HDD's

@Madmick @jefferz @rob mafia will this be good enough to play most games at 1080p satisfyingly?
If that is a GTX 1060 6GB it will be, and a liquid-cooled R5-2600 on an Aorus Elite board (4+3 VRM) wouldn't hold back even the most powerful GPUs out there today, so if it isn't to your satisfaction, all you'll need to do is order a GPU upgrade.

The GD score for either has fallen to an "8" out of 10, but that is still plenty respectable:
https://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?make=Nvidia&model=10 Series&type=Desktop Graphics Card

It also remains the most popular GPU on Steam by a wide margin, so it's an industry benchmark developers are keen to target for strong baseline performance:
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/?sort=pct

Last edited:
Word.

I don't know how much of a better deal I would get though. Yea I would get a break on the video card but I'm looking at the Cyberpower 4th of July sale to buy a whole new system and I'm getting breaks on a lot of items. Its one of those roll the dice kind of things where you might regret it a month from now or you might not.
At the very least their release might cause a depression in prices on the current AIO build in the next month because CPPC and others will be keen to clear out that inventory to make way for the new cards (knowing it is much harder to sell old hardware once everyone knows the new stuff is out). The Ryzen 3000 CPU series also looms, so that also bodes really well for you.

That's why you are seeing the July sale in the first place. These are strong sales, I'm sure, but we're reassuring you that you shouldn't feel pressured to spring on them because you shouldn't expect this to be a temporary window. CPPC's need to clear out inventory won't stop at July 4th. Not with what is coming down the pipe. There are going to be a lot of sales rolling out on the CPU+GPU gens you're looking at in the next several months. If anything I would expect them get better and better.

If that is a GTX 1060 6GB it will be, and a liquid-cooled R5-2600 on an Aorus Elite board wouldn't hold back even the most powerful GPUs out there today, so if it isn't to your satisfaction, all you'll need to do is order a GPU upgrade.

The GD score for either has fallen to an "8" out of 10, but that is still plenty respectable:
https://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?make=Nvidia&model=10 Series&type=Desktop Graphics Card

It also remains the most popular GPU on Steam by a wide margin, so it's an industry benchmark developers are keen to target for strong baseline performance:
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/?sort=pct

Cheers bro. She didn't want me to spend too much money on it, so I tried to keep it under $1000 aud.

Her current PC was along these lines
CPU: FX 6300
Ram: 8gb no name
GPU: 1060 I gave her

So I feel its a bit of an upgrade for her.

I'll see how the PC goes with the 1060, and if it's alright it'll be fine if it's not good enough I'll give her the 1080ti and either buy another or get a 2080ti.

Cheers bro. She didn't want me to spend too much money on it, so I tried to keep it under $1000 aud.

Her current PC was along these lines
CPU: FX 6300
Ram: 8gb no name
GPU: 1060 I gave her

So I feel its a bit of an upgrade for her.

I'll see how the PC goes with the 1060, and if it's alright it'll be fine if it's not good enough I'll give her the 1080ti and either buy another or get a 2080ti.
Very logical.

You'll probably want to see if you can OC her RAM a bit, I'd recommend.

Back