PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

hello friends. what's the general opinion of single fan gpus?
I've done quite a few ITX builds over the years and every single single-fan GPU i've used has been 8 pin or lower power wise so it's not like thermals where an issue. The absolute worst case was it either didn't get the full boosted clock or it was audibly louder than the multiple fan variants (technically on a spec sheet the decibel reading wasn't drastically different but it would emit at a louder frequency which is what made it more noticeable). So essentially go for it if you need smaller profile, not a deal breaker

Depending on the software you'll probably still have to install a codec pack. Just because the hardware is natively capable of decoding a certain codec doesn't mean the software it is running is properly instructing it how to handle a file. After all, you always need "external software" to open a media file. Windows has built those packs into WMP. The packs are automatically fetched and downloaded by the Microsoft store unless you turn off updates like you would turn off Android/iOS updates on a phone.

Thanks, do you know about any legal good codec packs ?

The salesmen said Asus makes NUCs now,
he said the brand is ASUS but the parts are Intel.
Ya it's Asus then. Intel sold the entire business unit and the designs to Asus last year. So you get the first generation of Asus NUCs. Pretty cool.

Hoping Asus can do something cool with the form factor but it's not likely given they rolled NUCs into their commercial unit, not gaming or consumer. Oh well.

They seem to focused more on AI at the moment.

It's a smart business decision not a consumer one especially since China has all but turned all its energy to dominating the AI space. China will very likely spend a trillion dollars in the next 5 years to make it happen. I laugh when people complain about the 50 billion in the chips act that is pennies compared to what China is willing to spend. Even China played that game complaining that the US was not playing fair as they where writing multi-billion dollar checks to build up to 30 chip foundries. Sam Altman was nuts asking for 5 trillion dollars but over the decades the US needs to be ready for the economic and geopolitical risks. Unfortunately that means gamers will have to get way back for future GPU's for PC's.

Back