Sherdog's Definitive Anti-Aging Thread

I get this from Amazon*, but you can get it off their site [korunaturals.com]. It's $18 and a bottle lasts a little over 2 years daily usage for my face and hair/head. I don't skimp, either.

*(high reviews on Amazon)

emu_oil_pure_premium_australian_dbulm.jpg

^^This image is about the actual size of the bottle. A little goes a long way. I think 2 bottles is $30 (last I checked)

They ship internationally, this brand. The quality is consistent, very high grade. No lumps, no minor noticeable differences between batches, no problems at all.

My skin looks younger (+ with less wrinkles) than it did 10 years ago. After I wake up from a good sleep I look in the mirror and it's like I'm in highschool again. A little surreal tbh

Lol. Emu oil is legit. Does it really lasts 2 years for you? I can stretch my little bottle for 6-7 months, but that's probably tops.

Going to use it every night from now on. Thanks for the suggestions about Amazon.

damn im gonna have to try some of that emu oil. retinol a sounds a bit scary though

I am actually going to try proper prescription retinol A. It is highly reactive to light, so to avoid excessive flaking - you need to apply it at night, and sleep in a dark room.

A healthy dose of testosterone when you start the feel that you are getting old..

Lol. Emu oil is legit. Does it really lasts 2 years for you? I can stretch my little bottle for 6-7 months, but that's probably tops.

I wasn't even trying to extend it. I bought 2 more bottles after the first in anticipation that it was going to run out after several months. It's kind of illogical, but I started getting antsy after 1 year and a couple months, because it was still half full and I wanted to open another bottle (makes no sense, I know)

Ended up having to wait 2 years, and 2 months plus some weeks, opened the 2nd bottle to start it and gave away the 3rd unopened one for a present (I'm not that much of a long term planner)

---

Here's the secret to getting the most out of it-- you can mix a few (3) drops with a little splash of water (anywhere from 1:3 to 1:7, doesn't matter- just go by feel), and it covers your whole face and maybe then some. That's how I did it. Experiment

*and even though I used it every day, you don't have to necessarily do that. It's a little overkill (although overkill presents no actual problem in this scenario) unless you live in a dry climate or your skin type needs a lot of extra oil. The emu oil soaks happily right into your own skin and stays there for 2-3 days, even after/through showers. On the 3rd day, it seems a little stretched/dry for me so every other day would work (I've tried it), but I just do/did it every day as part of a routine so I wouldn't forget which days I needed to do it. That's the simplest

Going to use it every night from now on. Thanks for the suggestions about Amazon.

Yeah good luck and have fun.

Use that simple water dilution trick and it spreads with much greater coverage (just use facet water and mix it crudely in the well of your hand, right after a shower is best) with no negatives I could see after two years. It feels right. Of course see what works best for you

Bonus: since I apply this with my hands, it keeps my hands looking extra young as well, lulz

What does it do for your scalp and hair?

It helps style and hold it nicely, and conditions it exceptionally. Also keeps the scalp moisturized and from getting dry/flaky-- As a result, better thicker/+softer (and quicker) hair growth is noticeable. I dilute it with some water (in my hand/by feel) and run it through, then mess it around to distribute, then comb it. I think you'll like doing this, especially with your hair type and style

Last edited:
Is Coconut oil and Olive Oil good moisturizers for your neck/face?

I would think taking a collagen supplement/powder daily would be a good idea and drinking bone broth for the above as well. Anyone know what those collagen supplements usually direct you to take it on an empty stomach...same with amino acids?

It's mostly genetics, sleep, diet and exercise.

The only things worth paying for ontop of that are

Teeth whitening
Laser skin resurfacing (like a one off treatment every few years)
A good haircut*
Glycerin based soap for shaving.
and quality sunscreen.

Last edited:
I am actually going to try proper prescription retinol A. It is highly reactive to light, so to avoid excessive flaking - you need to apply it at night, and sleep in a dark room.

I was prescribed some for my acne scars. It's alright, if you've got sensitive skin like myself I'd go with the gel rather than the cream.

Emu Oil is shown to increase subcutaneous fat and increase thickness of skin ^.
It is also far more effective at penetrating all dermal layers than mineral oil used in beauty products. Unlike Coconut oil it doesn't smell for hours and gets absorbed much better.

Emu Oil Burn Study Results (AEA Funded, 1995-1998) Report by Margaret Pounder, AEA President. (Reprinted from AEA EMU Update, Summer 1998 issue).

Summary: A long term study was initiated by Dr. John Griswold, Director of the Timothy J. Harner Burn Center (affiliated with Texas Tech University Medical Center, Lubbock, Texas) in 1995 to analyze the potential effects of emu oil in the healing of re-epithelialized burn wounds. The study found that the patients, "almost unanimously favored emu oil as an end result and during application", and that there was statistically significant difference in scar reduction and inflammation of the emu oil treated wounds.

Fatty Acid Analysis of Emu Oil (AEA Funded study , 1994) By: Dr. Paul Smith, Dr. Margaret Craig-Schmidt, and Amanda Brown at Auburn University. (Reprinted from AEA News, September 1994 Issue).

Summary: Analysis of fatty acids in emu oil reveals that it contains approximately 70% unsaturated fatty acids. The major fatty acid found in emu oil is oleic acid, which is monounsaturated and which comprises over 40% of the total fatty acid content. Emu oil also contains both of the two essential fatty acids (EFA's) which are important to human health: 20% linoleic, and 1-2% alpha-linolenic acid.

Emu Oil: Comedogenicity Testing: (Study done for E.R.I., 1993) By: Department of Dermatology, at Texas Medical School, Houston.

Summary: Testing using rabbit ear histological assay, with emu oil in concentrations of 25%, 75%, and 100% show that emu oil in concentrations up to 100% is non-comedogenic, i.e. it does not clog the pores of the skin.

Moisturizing and Cosmetic Properties of Emu Oil: A Double Blind Study (1994) By, Dr. Alexander Zemtsov, Indiana University School of Medicine: Dr. Monica Gaddis, Ball Memorial Hospital; and Dr. Victor Montalvo-Lugo, Ball Memorial Hospital (Reprinted from AEA News, October/November 1994 Issue).

Summary: Eleven human subjects took part in a double-blind clinical study which compared emu oil with mineral oil in texture, skin permeability and moisturizing properties, as well as comedogenicity and irritability to the skin. No irritation to the skin was observed with either oil. However, comedogenicity of emu oil was significantly lower than that of mineral oil, and all subjects stated a unanimous preference for emu oil.

Composition of Emu Oil: The Micro View (1997) By Dr. Leigh Hopkins, AEA Oil Standards Team (Research Leader). (Reprinted from AEA News, Spring 1997 issue).

Summary: When compared with human skin oil, the fatty acid composition of emu oil is found to be quite similar. In both types of oil, monounsaturated oleic acid is the most prevalent fatty acid, followed by palmitic acid, then linoleic acid, which is an EFA (essential fatty acid). This similarity may be one of the factors enabling emu oil to have such a positive action on human skin.

Emu Cream Assists Lidocaine: Local Anesthetic Absorption Through Human Skin (1997) By: Dr. William Code. (Presented at the 88th American Oil Chemists Society annual meeting, May 1997, Reprinted from AEA News, Summer 1997 issue.)

Summary: In his initial work with an emu oil based cream combined with spearmint oil and lidocaine, Dr. Code has found that this mixture appears to produce a reduced sensation in the skin as compared with another mixture of local anesthetics without emu oil. The goal is to reduce sensitivity to the skin in a safe, fast and effective way for procedures such as suturing or giving injections.

Emu Oil: A Source of Nontoxic Transdermal Anti-inflammatory Agents in Aboriginal Medicine (1997) By: Dr. Michael Whitehouse and Athol Turner, Dept. of Medicine, University of Queensland, Australia.
(Source: Inflammopharmacology, San Francisco, March 1997 conference proceedings. Reprinted from AEA News, Summer 1997 issue).

Summary: Ongoing studies on the anti-inflammatory activity of emu oils, as tested using the arthritis-induced rat model, indicate that different emu oils vary in their ability to suppress arthritic symptoms and that a chemical test for biological activity is needed rather than continuing to use the rat model.

I don't find this to be an impressive body of evidence at all!

What a terrible bunch of weak, small, uncontrolled, animal-model observations and preliminary studies featured in the magazine of the American EMU Association.

Study on rabbits ear shows it doesn't "clog the pores of the skin" i.e. non-comedogenic
- not evidence for anti-aging and the term "non-comedogenic" has no agreed scientific threshold.

Moisturising and Cosmetic properties: "all subjects stated a unanimous preference for emu oil."
- 8 out of 10 cat's prefer Whiskers cat food. Evidence for a supposed preference...in eleven people

"When compared with human skin oil, the fatty acid composition of emu oil is found to be quite similar"
- yes animals are generally made up of similar substances. Does this mean eating tigers will make me faster? This is evidence for nothing really.

"Emu Cream Assists Lidocaine" - an uncontrolled clinical observation from one doctor with no relevance to anti-aging at all.

A Source of Nontoxic Transdermal Anti-inflammatory Agents in Aboriginal Medicine: "Ongoing studies on the anti-inflammatory activity of emu oils, as tested using the arthritis-induced rat model, indicate that different emu oils vary in their ability to suppress arthritic symptoms and that a chemical test for biological activity is needed rather than continuing to use the rat model"
- results vary (i.e. don't show a clear effect) and the rat model they use apparently isn't very useful.

Is that really the best evidence for rubbing emu fat on your face?

No there's more, he started rubbing it on his face years ago and he apparently looks the same now as he did back then. Compelling.

I know, I know. I didn't look for studies that much. Just what I could Google. I don't have access to University's research library anymore.

My skin just feels better, smoother to touch after several months of use. A lot of other users report the same.

I am pretty sure there are better studies on Emu oil out there.

I bought some emu oil cheaply the other day. How long until I take on the gorgeous complexion of Aubdrey hepburn and start reversing the aging process?

The science of anti aging products is more muddled than modern nutritional science. I'll try the emu oil for a while and if it doesn't do anything i'll go back to good old vitamin E oil, which seems to be a main component in facial creams.

The main reason I want a decent cream is that my lips and outer nostrils tend to get a bit dry and flaky in winter.

Last edited:
I know, I know. I didn't look for studies that much. Just what I could Google. I don't have access to University's research library anymore.

My skin just feels better, smoother to touch after several months of use. A lot of other users report the same.

I don't think you'll find any convincing studies no matter how hard you look to be honest.

And whilst your skin might feel better - well that's what moisturizers do. They are a good idea and different people require different ones in terms of the amount of oil in them. Mineral oils, vegetable oils and humectants work to keep the skin's natural barrier and improve its appearance. They might even slow aging, especially ones with SPF in them. If you find emu oil to be an effective and pleasant moisturizer than use it.

But evidence for Emu oil having any particular special effect over and above it's oiliness - well I await the evidence with interest but definitely not holding my breath.

Da heck is emu oil? Do they milk an emu to get it?

from wiki:
Commercial emu oil supplements are not standardized and vary widely in their potency.[6] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration highlighted emu oil in a 2009 article on "How to Spot Health Fraud," pointing out that many "pure emu oil" products are unapproved drugs.[4]

EDIT: Read through thread, crap, now I want to buy emu oil for nighttime moisturizing. lol

Last edited:
I practice some energy circulation , you know, besides yoga , internal stuff hard to explain in my non native english, I have very little sex so I am almost 29 and people think I am like 21-22 ---

Back